Fridge fan

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wear Sunscreen
80-90 Mem No: 6306

Fridge fan

Post by Wear Sunscreen »

Has anyone fitted a fan to the rear of their fridge to assist with cooling? If so what is the best position to fit?
TO THE CLASS OF 99

Just a miserable old git

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: Fridge fan

Post by Porkscratching »

I had no choice but to change mine as the original one packed up. I replaced it with a like for like motor from Maplins but crickey it was loud so I went down the computer fan route. Result? brilliant, and it was cheaper than the conventional motor. They are designed to run for many 1000's of hours. If you do fit one, make sure it draws and blows in the correct direction.

Regards, Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Computer fans usually have an arrow somewhere around the circumference indicating the direction of flow. In my Merc I just positioned the fan to blow out of the vent and it appears to be just as effective as blowing the air over the back of the fridge.It will work better if the back is properly boxed in though which doesn't seem to be done in our VWs. You will need some means of turning the fan off also if you are adding a fan and not just replacing an original one. ( I don't know how the original ones were switched on and off though - especially when running on gas)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

Post by mr_nunn »

The original fan on ours is switched by a thermostat attached to the back, which stays connected to the 12v circuit even when on gas. I would think you could keep this arrangement when changing the fan.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

But the OP isn't just changing the fan.
How is the 12v circuit controlled when the fridge isn't being used? If purely connected to 12v it will be on nearly constantly in the summer even if not being used.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

The fan on the electrolux fridge in my westie, runs when on gas or electric hook up when the temperature gets high enough. I don't remember it ever running in the UK, but it does when temperatures reach around 30C in Europe.

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

Post by mr_nunn »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:But the OP isn't just changing the fan.
How is the 12v circuit controlled when the fridge isn't being used? If purely connected to 12v it will be on nearly constantly in the summer even if not being used.
Good point but I don't think there is anything breaking the circuit when the fridge is not in use, as it stays connected in all 3 modes i think. That said, I've never heard the fan come on in anger yet - and it does work as I've tested it out the van - so i think the thermostat must be set at a high threshold, which perhaps is never reached unless you have hot weather *plus* heat generated by the fridge.. so perhaps they worked out there was no need for an off switch.

Anyway as you say if this is adding rather than replacing a fan then a switch and/or similar thermostat setup will need to be added.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top