RM212 Fridge - Fitting Issue - Gas man cant order/find part

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

QuickBrownFox
80-90 Mem No: 0

RM212 Fridge - Fitting Issue - Gas man cant order/find part

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Hello,

I bought a second hand RM212 to retro fit into my van. After being turned down by many an LPG fitter due to 'not being allowed to fit and certify 2nd hand fridges' under their certification rules i finally found a chap who came out and said he would do the work, he quoted and i was reasonably happy with the price.

So the work entails running new 8mm piping throughout. That's from bottle to fridge and bottle to hob. The existing pipe work is 1/4 inch, but 8mm needs to be used and the 1/4 inch replaced. Therefore an inline 1/4 inch to 8mm connector is required to fit the new piping to the existing hob.

The chap says he has 3 suppliers and he cant find the part i need. He said he did order a 1/4 inch to 8mm inline connector (BSP) but that's not the right one, he hasn't elaborated on what is the right one and has left me to find the part. He wont use Fleebay as he cant verify the part is new.

Please help, what do i know about piping? How am i meant to establish what the correct part is? Ah, but that's when you folk come in. I said, i'll post it on the forum and ask. Good idea he says. :?
If i hadn't struggled to get someone to do it in the first place i probably would have walked away. It doesn't really fill me with confidence. That said, he was recommended.

So i'm sure you folk will have had old pipework replaced whilst keeping original hobs etc. Help Help HELP!

Regards

Andrew
That would be an ecumenical matter

1986 Holdsworth Vision High Top. 1.9DG.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: RM212 Fridge - Fitting Issue - Gas man cant order/find part

Post by itchyfeet »

picture of cooker gas connection needed

1/4" will be male or female thread into the unit, not a pipe diameter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Compressi ... Sww5hZOBPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Thanks Itchyfeet. Thats the one hes ordered and said its not the right part. He said it isnt the bsp part that is the correct one. I think i jeed to ask him why as when ive researched it that seems to be the correct part. Ill give him a call and elaborate if i can.

Really appreciate the response like :)

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

taper thread perhaps he needs BSPT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Male-Stud-Cou ... bHxFnwXkdA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Professor plumb
80-90 Mem No: 14125

Post by Professor plumb »

Ask your gas man to try a reputable plumbers merchant , they should stock what he needs or a place that supplies parts for gas fires as these are 8 mm also. Hope you get it sorted
1980 Danbury pop top 2.0 Aircooled. Money pit
Being refitted
1991 lle 1.6td pop top roof

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Thanks folks. He says he has 3 suppliers all which dont have the part. Ill give him a call tomorrow to see if i can understand further. I maybe innocently didnt think that this would be an unusual job.

Ill come back and update the post

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I do find that some people who set themselves up as Trade Persons, while appropriately skilled and certified, sometimes do lack the JFDI element when running into this sort of problem. They just grind to a halt! Of course 3 suppliers should cover a range of alternative products/solutions. But retrofitting three way fridges in camper vans is not exactly high volume work and so a wider net has to be cast. The internet is the obvious place to start but I like to interrogate (in the nicest possible way) Sales/Technical Reps of suppliers until I find someone who knows their stuff. This part or a combination of components to do the job will exist. It is just a bit harder to find it. In my experience the most bizarre and unusual problems can be resolved this way.

CS

Incidentally being a bit of a worry guts I have a proprietary pressure check meter between my bottle and regulator so I can check for leaks when I change a bottle or in fact whenever I wish. Similar to this: Cavagna Propane Gauge Leak Tester.
Test process: With all usage points turned off open and close the bottle valve and observe the rate of fall in pressure per instructions with device.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

Just ask who his supplier's are,Wicks,B&Q or The Range?try James Hargreaves they will sort out out though you may have to use a soldered reducer. :ok
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

So. After being able to find the part online myself and taking on board the advice of members on here.... Ive just booked in with someone else instead. A less than fitting end to a thread. Apologies for that :ok

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Consider a gas alarm too, these appliances are all old now.
I fitted one, gas to go low down for propane/ butane because its heavier than air.

I once years ago in a domestic house running on lpg cylinders light a hob with a cast iron frying pan, it exploded as the gas was caught in the hob, frying pan nearly missed my head as it flew aross the room.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Certainly something ill look into. Thanks. I have a carbon monoxide alarm but thats up high and could do with a specific one for the job.

Regards

Andrew

skysurfin09
80-90 Mem No: 2820

Post by skysurfin09 »

I used an 8MM endfed soldered inline reducer five minutes work but I am plumber/gas fitter. :ok
'89 2.1 injected (Digijet)...travelling in hope over adversity

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Got Steve at gasure to fit it for me. That other guy who quoted for the job obviously didnt know his donkey from his elbow.