Hello from newby, and pop-top guidance request

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Widemouth Bay
80-90 Mem No: 16183

Hello from newby, and pop-top guidance request

Post by Widemouth Bay »

Hiya people.

This is my first post having only joined this week and I wanted to say “hello :D ”. Me, my wife (Clare), and our 8-year old son (James), have been going to Cornwall to stay with friends for many years. Our friends run a number of VW campers – T2’s and T25/T3’s – and Beetles, and are, well, passionate, about them. Hardly surprising, then, that it’s rather rubbed off onto us and, well, we’re now looking to buy our first VW camper.

Researching it has shown that Split-screens and Bays are out of our price range, and not really suited for what we need the bus to do, so we’re looking for a water-cooled T25/T3. As the bus would be the main transport, fuel costs are important, so we’re going for a diesel. The 1.6JX/1.7KY versions as standard would be fine though if the bus had been converted to a 1.9 turbodiesel, great. If not, I’d be planning, eventually, to install a 1.9 lump in, all price/time dependent of course and not a priority swap.

Also, the bus would be used for holidays so additional roof space would be needed (bed for a certain 8 year old...). In order to fit under the barriers of the majority of car-parks (supermarkets and the like), a high-top is not going to work, so we’re looking for a pop-top. Sure, some barriers may prevent a pop-top from going in but at least it should work in the majority of cases. Not worried about the converters name on it, more concerned about reliability/reputation of the converter.

We’ve a budget of £7,000-£8,000. That should (hopefully) allow us to find one in good condition, without too much rust, having read about the problems with seams, fuel tanks, sills and such like. We don’t want to go to the £2,000 region for a project bus, but can’t go above our budget for a fully restored, mint, version. I’m good with spanners so if it needs any light work then I can and will, but I don’t want to get one to suddenly start doing big mechanical repairs – most important, it should be in good fettle and a sound runner.

What I cannot find out is any information about pop-tops – what to look for, what to avoid, which converters were good and which have shown, over time, to be less than good.

People, may I ask:
1. Does all this sound a sensible approach?
2. Is the budget anywhere realistic?
3. Any pop-top converters names to go for/to avoid?
4. Are there any problems/warnings regarding the pop-tops to look out for?

Thanks in advance for your help – all comments/guidance gratefully received. We’re planning on going to Busfest 2017 to carry on the research “up close” as it were; hopefully get to compare the different arrangements of pop-tops with your comments in mind.

Thanks once again everyone,

Dave.
1986 1.9DG Holdsworth Villa 3 pop-top "Tally"

scaltura

Re: Hello from newby, and pop-top guidance request

Post by scaltura »

Couple more g's will get you a westy

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

You could also consider an lpg van ... smoother and quieter than a derv and economical too.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Nice to see a decent first post, and some one who has done a some research
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

I have a syncro westy pop top. Had it for 14 years now, and if I'm brutally honest camping in this country with a pop top is a pain!!! I have a gowesty rainfly to help with the elements but it's a pain really. I'm sure that there are benifits with a pop over a hightop but for camping here it's the wind that does your head in !!
Yes the rainfly helps a tiny bit and you can get the silver thermal screen but it's all extra faf !
If I can find a westy hightop I'm going to swap the roof over. The extra storage will be a bonus too.
in too deep to quit now....

scaltura

Post by scaltura »

Driving in high winds with high top can be more than annoying :shock: near changing lanes isn't fun lol

Each to their own I guess.

Widemouth Bay

Post by Widemouth Bay »

Thank you to everyone who's read my post, and thank you to all who've left a message. Interesting comments all round, and they've given me some other things to think about / consider, which is what I hoped for.

Thanks for being so welcoming, and for your input.

Bye for now.

Dave.

Arripay
80-90 Mem No: 12333

Post by Arripay »

I have Holdsworth Villa (Celebrity). Solid sided pop top, good for all weathers, warm, dry and quiet. Will go (just) under 2.1m parking height restrictions.
My 10 year old loves sleeping in the pop top, not a massive amount of head room but very cozy.
Personally I would buy a van in good condition then sort out the economy, LPG or uprated diesel donkey.

http://www.holdsworth.vwt25camper.info/ ... celeb.html
1990 Holdsworth Villa Pop Top 1.9 DG

Widemouth Bay

Post by Widemouth Bay »

Hi everyone. Just to close the thread, I went to see a pop top that was for sale with the solid sides. OK, it wasn't the one for us but it did show an alternative to our friends' canvas versions. I've got more questions now which means more research, and that is no bad thing.

I'm grateful for all of your comments - they have been a tremendous help. Thank you :ok .

Cheers all,
Dave.