Toilet use when wild camping

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Toilet use when wild camping

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Hi all, looking at spending a month or more away in the van next summer. Hoping to tour GB and maybe nip across to France. To keep costs down we will be wild camping for a few days then campsites for a few days and so on. Wife and 3 young kids make it more of a challenge.

We seem to have most things sorted other than the toilet use when wild camping. I have come up with 3 options. I'd love to hear of any other options or your thoughts on what I'm thinking so far.

* First is the basic portaloo in a box/seat.
Simple and would be moveable. Will take up valuable space and would need to kick everyone out the van for a morning bowel movement. Take it this is most people's choice?

* Second would be that Popaloo.
Seen these a Busfest and their website. Won't take up much space but would need putting together and maybe even use their quick erect tent by the side of the van.

* Final and most ambitious is to make a toilet unit that sits on the tow bar. I envisage this to house a portaloo, toilet roll, maybe even some wet wipes! I will then need to devise a sort of pull down rain cover/privacy shelter that comes from above the rear door. Dead quick to use and always quickly available and takes up no extra space.

Really appreciate any comments or thoughts.

Thanks, Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Toilet use when wild camping

Post by marlinowner »

How about "boginabag"?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004Y0 ... B004Y00STK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

You would not take a $h1t in your bedroom or kitchen or living room at home.
Same rules apply.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

If you are going to France and away from the Normandy/Brittany areas book into a camping municipal. The prices are worth the benefit of having showers and toilets.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

itchyfeet wrote:You would not take a $h1t in your bedroom or kitchen or living room at home.
Same rules apply.
I'll remember that cheers. Good shout!

1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

marlinowner wrote:How about "boginabag"?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004Y0 ... B004Y00STK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen them. But still need something under the seat.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Ralf85 wrote:If you are going to France and away from the Normandy/Brittany areas book into a camping municipal. The prices are worth the benefit of having showers and toilets.
Hoping to go as far as southern France. What's the score with camping municipal?

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

Line your Portapotty with a few bits of kitchen roll have a crap on it ,lift it out and pop it in a biodegradable dog crap bag and burie it.How easy is that and it keeps your toilet clean, Easy,then sit back and have a cup of tea. :ok
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Jonnyb416 wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:If you are going to France and away from the Normandy/Brittany areas book into a camping municipal. The prices are worth the benefit of having showers and toilets.
Hoping to go as far as southern France. What's the score with camping municipal?
My tip is that camping municipals are run by local councils over there. They are normally a lot cheaper than privately run sites away from the coastal sites and really good value compared to the UK. Make sure you have a good camp site book too as a back up. A Michelin or an AA one will assist.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

itchyfeet wrote:You would not take a $h1t in your bedroom or kitchen or living room at home.
Same rules apply.
Or eat your dinner in the toilet, or make your family stand out in the rain whilst you do your thing or let them experience real horror.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I wouldn't take a pi$$ in my bedroom/kitchen/sitting room either but that's cos I have other, better, options in the house.
Depending where we're parked, what I'm wearing (or not) when the need arises I'll either pi$$ outside or in the portapotti which fits nicely between the front seats (not when driving, hahahah) and can be curtained off if so desired.
The Mrs won't pi$$ outside so it's portapotti for her.
If we've got the awning up the potti sits out there.
Purely for reasons of smell, we don't crap in the potti unless it's an emergency and we have no other option nearby.
I'm not adverse to digging a hole among the bushes/woods to crap in as long as the midgies aren't out. please bury it when you're done.

In your situation, with a wife +3, I'd be looking at some sort of toilet tent to put the potti in.
An awning that fits over the rear door when it's closed would be a good bet I think.
Sure you could make one with tarpaulin and old tent poles.

My concern with the popaloo would be... where do you store the full bags until you get to a disposal point? it looks like you can't pick it up in one piece, bag and all.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

bigbadbob76 wrote:In your situation, with a wife +3, I'd be looking at some sort of toilet tent to put the potti in.
An awning that fits over the rear door when it's closed would be a good bet I think.
Sure you could make one with tarpaulin and old tent poles.

My concern with the popaloo would be... where do you store the full bags until you get to a disposal point? it looks like you can't pick it up in one piece, bag and all.

The easiest route is to buy a portapotti or the popaloo and a throw up tent. I hadn't thought about what to do with the bag of poo if I get the popaloo.

I'd really like to make some sort of box that attaches to the tow bar but that depends on time and help from my mate who can weld.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

France and camping is like peaches and cream. Camping Municipal is the best option, all are cheap and some are free. I would not wild camp in France when municipal sites with proper facilities can found in virtually every town and village. There are excellent facilities to be found on the 'aires' ( day/overnight parking areas for campers) that are abundant.

Porta pottie great for emergency but it needs emptying, unless you are going to dig a hole you will need to find an 'aires' anyway as well as get water.

Wild camping in the south of France, particularly by the coast, is far more difficult and less tolerated.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Get a towbar mounted bike rack, build a small plywood box ( or buy a small roof box to fix to bkie rack) to hold the toilet and a pop up tent ( maybe also a water bottle for hand washing)
Nobody is going to want to climb onto the towbar to coil one out and if others are in the van the van will shake.
You can empty the toilet casette at public toilets and aires.

I think Fiamma/Thule do a box to fix to bike racks, seen them before but maybe wrong shape.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

AngeloEvs wrote:France and camping is like peaches and cream. Camping Municipal is the best option, all are cheap and some are free. I would not wild camp in France when municipal sites with proper facilities can found in virtually every town and village. There are excellent facilities to be found on the 'aires' ( day/overnight parking areas for campers) that are abundant.

To be honest, wild camping was mainly my thought for when touring GB. The plan for France is to slowly mooch to the South where my family are thinking about meeting us at a Eurocamp or similar.

My in laws have used Aires and say they are very good. They may even end up coming with us when in France. A lot easier having 4 people help look after 3 young kids. Especially in a foreign country.