Toilet use when wild camping

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Toilet use when wild camping

Post by slowcoach »

Buy the book 'all the Aires' for France. Free camping, then use the facilities of a restaurant or bar where you can spend your camping money on nice food and wine instead :-)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by nsjtaylor »

Portapotty under the buddy seat (mostly just for storage when rolling). If you're wild-camping, pull out the potty and put it "round the other side of the van, near the back, in the open"; after all... you're, well, in the wild, right? Sit on the crapper in relative peace, letting your travel-warmed bits get a good airing, whilst the rest of the family are round the social side of the van. Park yourself just right and you end up with The Loo With A View.

Get a decent Thetford and even if someone hits it for a shocker of a number 2, it won't be *that* bad, and it'll be easy to "handle" in terms of emptying etc when you get to an appropriate disposal area (and be well contained until that point)

Plus, if someone has a bit of a "woah - I gotta go RIGHT NOW" moment whilst on the road, you have something under the buddy seat that can be used. "Would I crap in my kitchen?" - er, no. But then, I don't have to in my residence because it has a room dedicated for the purpose. But if I were caught unaware and I had no other option, hell yes I'd sit my butt down on the porta and go. (I have a 3 year old who isn't always aware that she's going to poop whilst she pees; it's not uncommon for our van to smell extra-aromatic for a few minutes, every now and then. Unhygienic? No... it's just a whiff and it'll go away)

That's my 2 cents :D
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

One other tip. French campsites do not usually provide toilet paper. Buy some over there as their paper is designed not to damage the septic tank fluids used by most sites. Also, there are not many public toilets at parking places on normal roads. So be prepared to pop into the bushes. Motorway service stations have toilets but take some paper with you just in case during busy times. Have a fun time. We always do.
:ok

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Toilet use when wild camping

Post by Jonnyb416 »

*tried to post a picture but peebucket don't work no more*
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Jonnyb416 wrote:*tried to post a picture but peebucket don't work no more*

This thread really does not need pictures :rofl
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

We have a popaloo - the tent is really good - get the tall one!
The seat folds away very neatly and the plastic bags and chemicals work well. You can either bin the refuse or bury it. It's a lot more manageable than the chemicals in a portapotty which need proper disposal points.

I have never fancied doing the business inside my van, so the pop up loo tent is handy. We have even used it for a 'quick one' when caught short. The tent is so easy to put up and take down.

http://www.popaloo.co.uk/videos/
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

It's a lot more manageable than the chemicals in a portapotty which need proper disposal points.

As far as I know chemicals can go down a regular toilet
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

a1winchester wrote:We have a popaloo - the tent is really good - get the tall one!
The seat folds away very neatly and the plastic bags and chemicals work well. You can either bin the refuse or bury it. It's a lot more manageable than the chemicals in a portapotty which need proper disposal points.http://www.popaloo.co.uk/videos/

The popaloo does look to be a good choice. May well find myself asking for a toilet for Christmas lol. Trying to think where is best to store it, where in your van do you keep yours and the tent?
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

The tent and toilet seat all fold flat so are stored (with everything else pretty much) up in the high top bed space. They take up very little room.

My point about disposal - ('As far as I know chemicals can go down a regular toilet') - is that when you are wild camping you don't have a flushing w.c. handy to dispose of the waste, and I reckon you would get raised eyebrows walking into a public convenience with a porta potti under your arm! It's right you can empty into a w.c. or foul drain.

dandaz
80-90 Mem No: 659

Post by dandaz »

we moved to France without a toilet ,me and the kids went for a "walk" in the woods ,the mrs drove to the supermarket...(6 months)

I wild camp all the time in France 6 weeks this year ,all I take it my toilet roll and my bike... :wink:

it's normal in france to 'go' when you need it.... :ok
Member 659..

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Just shove the portaloo outside in one of those small toilet/shower tents. Job done - excuse the pun. :ok
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Dig a hole & bury it. We rarely use campsites & don't have a portapotty so it's our only option. Get a decent folding shovel, not a cheapo £20 one, they don't last 5 minutes. Great way to get back to nature & good for the thighs. Make sure it's a decent hole so try to go 20cm deep if poss & that way you're not impacting on the environment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JQ5YJ6/ ... 31_TE_dp_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

captain Byrne wrote:Dig a hole & bury it. We rarely use campsites & don't have a portapotty so it's our only option. Get a decent folding shovel, not a cheapo £20 one, they don't last 5 minutes. Great way to get back to nature & good for the thighs. Make sure it's a decent hole so try to go 20cm deep if poss & that way you're not impacting on the environment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JQ5YJ6/ ... 31_TE_dp_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree, but beware of permafrost in the arctic! :oops:
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

colinthefox wrote:
I agree, but beware of permafrost in the arctic! :oops:

Then use lots of paper and a generous squirt of lighter fuel. Light blue touch paper and retire