How much change is too much?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

Sat chilling in the rain and pondering future plans for renovation.

We have a largely original interior Autohomes Komet which I'd like to spruce up a bit at some point but do i need to worry about maintaining originality at all on this type of conversion?
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

In terms of a resale, maybe in 10 years time but most of these vans have been modded. It's your van, your call. I like the simple interiors personally, how much cupboard space do you really need, sink, hob...not for me. I like the set-up on this van. Image
Last edited by DoubleOSeven on 09 Aug 2017, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: How much change is too much?

Post by Ian Hulley »

Unless you aim to win concourse trophies and plan on selling the van as a show pony with all it's rosettes I would suggest you do what you need to the van to make it more usable/comfortable for yourselves. It will always make money anyway in the present climate and to me the better it is equipped the more it's worth.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Completely agree, unless its a show piece I would make it how you want/need it to be to get good use from it.

That's certainly the approach we are taking with ours. Simple can be better so do some research and see what you do and don't like and plan from there.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

DoubleOSeven wrote:In terms of a resale, maybe in 10 years time but most of these vans have been modded. It's your van, your call. I like the simple interiors personally, how much cupboard space do you really need, sink, hob...not for me. I like this set-up on this van. Image
I like that. Read great piece about "what do you really need" on Expedition Portal. Lots of common sense spoken by a man who clearly knows:
https://expeditionportal.com/the-minima ... erlanding/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Exactly. Coolbox, Buddy Box, Gas stove and water container under back seat...toothbrush in the glovebox...off you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HansT »

Randamonia's question parallels thoughts I had when looking at other camper vans at Whitenoise.
Our Holdsworth villa, family owned from new - I've got all the original paperwork, invoices, mots etc from new - is still in its first paint and interior and has only done a little over 30,000 miles from new.
Tart it up a little, perhaps LED lights, new seat covers and carpets? Or leave it as is?
What do folks think?
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

i disagree with most of the comments, komets are one of my fav vans if they have had the interior removed and bodged i wont even look i just skip past, but im only interested in resale. Retrim seats and carpets/lining yes because they are all tatty and grubby, but leave the units be, is it a early komet or late? A very nice komet original £10k, interior messed about with a nice body £5k.
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

I have an early hightop Kameo which has all original cupboards only thing ive changed is the carpet as it was thread bare,the brown basket weave seats are mint it is a bit dated but all in good condition and I do get a lot of comments on how nice it is to see an original interior as much as id like to modernise it I wont .

Hdog13
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Hdog13 »

Just got my first t25 and one of the main reasons I brought the one I did was the fact that a majority of it was original (as far as I know!). She just needs a bit of tlc and some body work but nothing major! I intend on keeping her as stock as I can.

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

Owners of VW's are seemingly much more likely to 'personalise' their vehicles that the average owner. The changes people like to make form an important part of the ownership experience for many - if you are one of those, no amount of pleading from the purists will stop you from inventing yet another slightly alarming colour scheme, displaying massive VW logos on all available surfaces, fitting massive wheels and chucking original fittings in a skip.

I have nothing against customising at all but I have to admit that I would never consider a modified van as being in the same bracket as an original example in terms of value or desirability, however much the Subaru conversion, the Porsche wheels or the newly-fitted identikit modern interior cost. The low-budget comb-overs are even worse, some have been absolutely butchered. By contrast here's always something a little special about an old VW that has survived unmolested. The best course of action, seeing as your own van fits into this bracket, might be make no changes that aren't reversible, and throw no original fittings away. It would surely be better to start with a panel van or a previously hacked-up custom interior if you wanted to do your own thing, that way you could add value with your changes rather than losing it. But of course, there are no rules...
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

DoubleOSeven wrote:Exactly. Coolbox, Buddy Box, Gas stove and water container under back seat...toothbrush in the glovebox...off you go!

Gas stove but nowhere for the pans and kettle ? Nowhere to wash up ? Nowhere for your clothes ? Where's the gas canister ? No bedding ? No heating ?

You're talking about a day van there, not a camper.

I'm not advocating butchering a Komet (one of my favourites) but as someone who's spend a great amount of the last 13 years camping in a T25 with the other 3 members of my family until the last 2 or 3 years when it's just me and The Present Mrs Hulley (God Bless Her !) you have to make the camper work for you and fit your requirements.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Loved the Hi Top but absolutely hated the cheap plastic veneered, miserable dark brown, worn out Autohomes Karisma interior. Re designed the interior and it is far better in every respect. I like the Westy interior and would probably keep it as original as possible if in good condition.

The selling price of any van (regards the interior) is largely determined by the aesthetics and quality of finish if not the original. I have my van back having sold it a few years back, I had no problem selling it and it sold on first viewing - bidding to get it back on EBAY was hotly contested by other bidders which demonstrates that point - I paid more thsn what I sold it for but at least I have it back. :D
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

Suppose it all depends how good the condition of the original interior is, if its falling to pieces yes put a new one in, but make a good job of it ,
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

Interesting and as expected mixed opinions. I wouldn't change the layout as I think it's spot on. It was actually dbz864 who introduced me to the Komet when I first started looking and have a lot to thank him for!

I'd like to change the acres of brownness! Carpets, ceiling, doors etc and retrim seats. Maybe do something with the cupboard doors but this is where I guess the crux is. They are generally good condition with a just a bit of wear to some of the vinyl around the handles which I 'd like to sort in some way.

Exterior wise I'd consider a half colour change (it's had a bad spray job at some point) but that's way down the line and obviously easily reversible.

All just thoughts as we lay here snug in Devon
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG