How much change is too much?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: How much change is too much?

Post by 1664 »

randamonia wrote:I'd like to change the acres of brownness! Carpets, ceiling, doors etc and retrim seats.

Which is exactly what I did. First to go was the awful carpet glued to the front cab mats so it was back to lovely shiny black rubber. Then the awful upholstery and finally ALL of the insipid beige trim inside the high top and door cards. (Now THAT was a job and a half). Black Limo tinted windows and job's a goodun.
I always knew I was going to change the appearance, it was the furniture layout, hightop cupboards and wood finish that I bought if for, I'd never alter any of them.

Is it still a Komet and would I have any problem selling it if I was daft enough to want to? Yes and No
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

bukefc@hotmail.com
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bukefc@hotmail.com »

I have an 87 high top westy and love the grey interior which I think has stood the test of time. Then my old,battered, inefficient Electrolux fridge coughed its last breath.

Dilemma..how do I replace it, keeping it original, as it is integrated behind a door. So I have bitten the bullet, put the original fascia into storage and spent a small fortune on a vitrifrigo fridge with a grey door. It fits the hole perfectly with a little jiggery and looks seamless. Amazing performance, best thing I have ever done.

QuickBrownFox
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Really interesting topic this. A recent new owner of a van myself i have a very tired headlining and side wall trim. Discoloured, patchy and stained at best. Frayed and holed at worst. I want to keep the van original as possible but a professional valeter said to rip it a out and replace it because it wouldnt come up clean. I am concerned by replacing some seemingly original lining for something new although sympathetic. Not only that im worried about how bad a job i would make of it. Ill have to have a read up of some other threads to get a good understanding of what it might entail. Its hard to live with what looks like a grubby lining when the rest of the interior is in suprisingly good condition. Keep or rip out and replace?
That would be an ecumenical matter

1986 Holdsworth Vision High Top. 1.9DG.

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

1664 wrote:
randamonia wrote:I'd like to change the acres of brownness! Carpets, ceiling, doors etc and retrim seats.

Which is exactly what I did. First to go was the awful carpet glued to the front cab mats so it was back to lovely shiny black rubber. Then the awful upholstery and finally ALL of the insipid beige trim inside the high top and door cards. (Now THAT was a job and a half). Black Limo tinted windows and job's a goodun.
I always knew I was going to change the appearance, it was the furniture layout, hightop cupboards and wood finish that I bought if for, I'd never alter any of them.

Is it still a Komet and would I have any problem selling it if I was daft enough to want to? Yes and No

Do you have any pics? Trying to visual it without the brown,
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

randamonia wrote:Do you have any pics? Trying to visual it without the brown,

Quite a few but Photobucket wont let me put them up on here these days apparently. I haven't really been following any threads about other hosting sites so everything is still on there or my hard drive.

Try this

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/brenofa ... 20Pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!