Drive away awning technique

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

Drive away awning technique

Post by quattrodave »

Going to be using the awning we got with the van for the first time next week.
How do you go about removing the awning from the van when driving away ?
It's threaded on a figure of 8 strip which slides over the gutter plastic trim, I've read you simply pull the strip off the gutter trim but it's so tight I damaged a a piece of the black plastic when trying that. Do you drive off unthreading as you go or what do you do?
Help!

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: Drive away awning technique

Post by boatbuilder »

I tried using the figure of 8 thing once. It wouldnt even stay on my gutter as I dont have the plastic trim on the gutter.
Then I tried the throw over straps. So much rain collected on the awning that it broke one of the straps with a massive bang-whoosh at 3am.
Not sure what else to try. The bit between the van and the awning just seems to collect water. I thought the whole idea was that it would keep you dry but lately I've left it disconnected from the van so its just a glorified tent at the moment!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

I've always found the pole and clamp the best way to fix the awning to the van, seems to be far more secure. I put the awning up, attach to the van and then peg it down, I find it the easiest way to get the connecting piece tight. Also don't forget to put a couple of markers where your wheels need to be on the other side of the van, for when you reconnect.

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

Cheers for the replies, is anyone actually using the figure of 8 strip on the van ?
Mine is really secure as it's got the plastic trim on the gutter edge, I'm more concerned about driving away/coming back !

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Without the plastic trim the fig 8 is too lose on the gutter, with it it is a bit snug and as you have found you can easily pop it off.
You might wish to explore the different diameters of the fig 8 strip, can't recall them from memory but it may help.

The idea with the fig 8 is that it clips on/off. It is not about sliding it on whilst driving in/out.

When the fig 8 works properly, it is the quickest and easiest way of connecting/disconnecting - it literally takes seconds. I had a j-rail attached to my old van which worked well as the angle was slightly better than the gutter.

You could bond your plastic trim to the gutter to stop it coming off + shave a fraction from the inside edge of the fig 8 to reduce the friction.
Or - as suggested, you could switch to pole and clamp. Not as quick as fig 8 to attach/disconnect but it is still quick enough + its probably offers greater strength than fig 8 if thats a concern.

Don't go with suction cups. They blow off in the wind and clonk your paint work.

Straps over the van work for a lot of people, I don't care for the faff! Alright if you are infrequent movers.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

Jim San wrote:Without the plastic trim the fig 8 is too lose on the gutter, with it it is a bit snug and as you have found you can easily pop it off.
You might wish to explore the different diameters of the fig 8 strip, can't recall them from memory but it may help.

The idea with the fig 8 is that it clips on/off. It is not about sliding it on whilst driving in/out.

When the fig 8 works properly, it is the quickest and easiest way of connecting/disconnecting - it literally takes seconds. I had a j-rail attached to my old van which worked well as the angle was slightly better than the gutter.

You could bond your plastic trim to the gutter to stop it coming off + shave a fraction from the inside edge of the fig 8 to reduce the friction.
Or - as suggested, you could switch to pole and clamp. Not as quick as fig 8 to attach/disconnect but it is still quick enough + its probably offers greater strength than fig 8 if thats a concern.

Don't go with suction cups. They blow off in the wind and clonk your paint work.

Straps over the van work for a lot of people, I don't care for the faff! Alright if you are infrequent movers.

Thanks for that, the figure of 8 is nice and tight on the van (it has the black trim strip on) but that's the problem, it's too damn tight to get off easily!
Might have to resort to (carefully) opening the slit up that attaches to the van.

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

Having a high top I am not sure about fitting it to the gutter, as I have a channel screwed to the high top which I slide a Kador strip into & then fix the fig. of 8 strips (mine is in 3 pieces ) between the strip & the awning. There are different size Kador strips & figs. of 8 available so do you have the correct size.
I think if your figs. of 8 clip onto the gutter it might be easier if you had a Kador strip & another fig. of 8 between the gutter & the awning. As I say I am not familiar with gutter fixings but sliding out the fig. of 8 sections on mine is very simple with no need to move the vehicle at all.

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Pole and clamps is so much easier. Just undo clamps, lift off, and go :ok
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

pole and clamps is the way to go, no issue and easy to use, the remark about remembering to mark your wheel position is also well worthwhile.
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

If you roll up the awning onto the pole positioning the van is not so critical as you tighten the awning with the amount you wind onto the pole.
2.1 Twin slider

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

Jeff J wrote:Having a high top I am not sure about fitting it to the gutter, as I have a channel screwed to the high top which I slide a Kador strip into & then fix the fig. of 8 strips (mine is in 3 pieces ) between the strip & the awning. There are different size Kador strips & figs. of 8 available so do you have the correct size.
I think if your figs. of 8 clip onto the gutter it might be easier if you had a Kador strip & another fig. of 8 between the gutter & the awning. As I say I am not familiar with gutter fixings but sliding out the fig. of 8 sections on mine is very simple with no need to move the vehicle at all.

That sounds like a great solution, never thought of that :ok
That won't help with going away this Sat though I guess :(

Sailsy
80-90 Mem No: 14857

Post by Sailsy »

We have one of these i fixed to the hi-top just above the gutter. Slide in a kador strip and then use the figure of 8 to attach to the kador strip on the awning. Simples... :D

http://camperessentials.co.uk/shop/vw-t ... one-piece/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1989 VW T3 Hi-Top Camper 1.9 DG Petrol 5 speed

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

This -
nicq wrote:If you roll up the awning onto the pole positioning the van is not so critical as you tighten the awning with the amount you wind onto the pole.

...has to be the best idea I've seen in a long while! So simple! Why didn't we think of that (or am I the only one who has never thought of it)

We use big spring clips to attach the pole to the gutter, big plastic ones that are easily obtainable in a big shed or high street hardware store

This kind of thing
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-6-Strong-P ... Ciid%253A3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Sailsy wrote:We have one of these i fixed to the hi-top just above the gutter. Slide in a kador strip and then use the figure of 8 to attach to the kador strip on the awning. Simples... :D

http://camperessentials.co.uk/shop/vw-t ... one-piece/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a similar solution too, my rail came in three sections that I cut to length and glued and screwed just above the gutter

Something like this...... and less than £20
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Motor ... Sw-0xYQaX1
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Got my pole at local recycling centre for nowt. No one seemed interested in it. Parts from a frame tent I think. Only thing I had to buy were the clamps.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.