Lining the Hightop

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Lining the Hightop

Post by crazyhorse »

Hi all,

Well, have pulled off the old carpet on the hightop to reveal plywood. I believe behind the plywood is the lovely itchy yellow fibreglass stuff for insulation I imagine.

I have tried looking on the forum for some discussion of this but no joy. What are my options here? The PO glued the carpet down so there is a lot of glue still on it. Could I sand it down.

I like the wood and maybe paint it white?? Dont really want to put carpet up there again. What do most do?? Ideally I would like to sand back the ply, then paint it, has anyone done that or am I being a bit silly. Advice as always is most welcome
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: Lining the Hightop

Post by fazzer »

mine is lined in carpet feels more warmer and homely.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Can you remove the plywood panels? Sanding down glue in situ sounds messy, might be better to remove it to work on it, just a thought
1983 DG Kamper 2

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Ant-t wrote:Can you remove the plywood panels? Sanding down glue in situ sounds messy, might be better to remove it to work on it, just a thought

Great idea, thanks. Started sanding in there, bad bad move

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

mines not a high top but a pop top ,,,but still didn't want the normal carpet either as I think its a bit boaring lol ,,,, wanted to line mine with something interesting so...

I used newspapers ,but not just random ones , they are all from the year the van was born (1981) ,,, some might think it looks untidy or not what they would like but I think its great and it will give me something to read when I banished up there

will try na post a pic or two later on tonight :ok

meggles

Post by meggles »

Sanding will be a nightmare. You'd have more success using a solvent then scraping it off. There would be a problem with the fumes though! I think the best way if you wanted wood up there would be to get some veneer and glue that on top of the existing ply. Just my opinion.

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

meggles wrote:Sanding will be a nightmare. You'd have more success using a solvent then scraping it off. There would be a problem with the fumes though! I think the best way if you wanted wood up there would be to get some veneer and glue that on top of the existing ply. Just my opinion.

It is a nightmare, not coming off, well it is but its messy and very very slow. Was going to paint it white, but its proving to be a right pain as the paint will only make the glue more noticeable, any ideas??

meggles

Post by meggles »

Cover with veneer as I suggested then paint the veneer white. Or how about some white plastic sheeting. The stuff used when lining bathroom walls etc.

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

meggles wrote:Cover with veneer as I suggested then paint the veneer white. Or how about some white plastic sheeting. The stuff used when lining bathroom walls etc.
This^^ sack sanding the glue. Just recover over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Post by RCN »

Jonnyb416 wrote:
meggles wrote:Cover with veneer as I suggested then paint the veneer white. Or how about some white plastic sheeting. The stuff used when lining bathroom walls etc.
This^^ sack sanding the glue. Just recover over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any pics, thinking of doing this too and curious what's behind there

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Have a look in b&q or other day store. Kitchen and bathroom depth will have plastic sheets. Seal the edges and joints with white silicone sealer or tigerseal. (Cut the sheets with a metal blade in a jigsaw)..

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mike9009 »

crazyhorse wrote:
meggles wrote:Sanding will be a nightmare. You'd have more success using a solvent then scraping it off. There would be a problem with the fumes though! I think the best way if you wanted wood up there would be to get some veneer and glue that on top of the existing ply. Just my opinion.

It is a nightmare, not coming off, well it is but its messy and very very slow. Was going to paint it white, but its proving to be a right pain as the paint will only make the glue more noticeable, any ideas??

This might be a little late, but have you tried a hair dryer and scraper to get the glue off?

Mike

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

mike9009 wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:

This might be a little late, but have you tried a hair dryer and scraper to get the glue off?

Mike

Van is with Jim Painter at the mo, getting it back nezt weekend so will get cracking with various techniques when I get it back. Good tip though. My father in Law gave me a blow torch, so trying heat might be the way to go as sanding just is too messy.

Will let you know how I get on

meggles

Post by meggles »

Blow torch? :shock: Try a decorators hot air gun. Much less aggressive. I have just removed some glue from abother project other than the van. I used glue remover but it will be expensive doing a large area.

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

meggles wrote:Blow torch? :shock: Try a decorators hot air gun. Much less aggressive. I have just removed some glue from abother project other than the van. I used glue remover but it will be expensive doing a large area.

Didnt think blow torch was a good idea, but he's older than me... though not wiser.. well maybe :)