High top sleeping

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Elaine-Juley
80-90 Mem No: 16037

High top sleeping

Post by Elaine-Juley »

HELP! I'm going away 1st holiday few days and I can't figure how to get daughter in high top bed please can anyone help me please thank you :ok :ok

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: High top sleeping

Post by clift_d »

Is your daughter quite young, in which case she might be better sleeping downstairs on your first trip and one of the adults sleep upstairs.

If she's older then is it a case of how to climb up? With a Westfalia like ours you use the seat box behind the driver to step up onto the kitchen cover and then up into the high top.

You can also get small folding ladders which can be left set up and allow easy access, which is what we use now.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Elaine-Juley

Post by Elaine-Juley »

Thanks that helped a lot my daughter a teenager ,where did you buy ladder sounds better idea thank you for help :ok

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Memory foam. I have it with a fitted sheet, roll it up to the back of the high top when travelling and unroll it when we arrive.
Honorary "Dave" 

Elaine-Juley

Post by Elaine-Juley »

Hi we got foam also we scratching our head out to get up into high top bed ive had some good advice now wondering best ladders to use :ok

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

We've got a 1.8m telescopic ladder which fits just right and which we stow upstairs when travelling, a bit like this 2m one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/telescopic-la ... SwN2VZRr9P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also get folding ladders specially made for Westfalias like this:
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-westfalia-ladders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

Just watch those telescopic ladders, they are really good but they can bite your fingers when you close them. Definitely not a job for kids and even adults can get nasty blood blisters - I know from experience.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I've got an autosleeper with the kit ladder. Never used it
Honorary "Dave" 

Elaine-Juley

Post by Elaine-Juley »

Hi what is a kit ladder. sound OK! Thanks for all the Help :ok

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by nsjtaylor »

We used a "tall" fold-up step-stool, like this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASAB-Large-Fol ... GB1Z330ZFD

When folded up, it slides in neatly between the drives seat and the units behind it, for storage. So it's unobtrusive.

At night, we unfold it and put it right next to the cupboard, so our kiddy can climb up that, onto the cooker cover, and up into the bed. She can't quite make it from the cooker to the bed but then, hey, she's only 3. In a few months she'll have no issue scurrying from up from the cooker, when she's tall enough. (she sleeps in a pod-thingy, so we've no fear of her falling out of the bed up-top, and in the mornings she finds it hilarious to poke her head over the end and yell at us until we wake up, to help her down).

Additionally, I find the step-stool to be helpful during the pulling-the-bed-out process. Means I can reach stuff at the back as I'm opening it and putting the middle cushion into place, so I don't have to climb up there once I've pulled it all the way out to straigten things out.

My 2 cents on the topic. Works for us, may or may not work for you. It also makes for a handy little stool to sit on, too :-)
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Elaine-Juley wrote:Hi what is a kit ladder. sound OK! Thanks for all the Help :ok

It comes with the van and runs across the span of the sleeping area. I found when the kids were little it was easier to lift them and when they got bigger they could get up without the ladder. I like to carry as little as possible so everything is stowed away in the high top, lockers and boot when were travelling so the floor is free and uncluttered
Honorary "Dave" 

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

To add to this. I like the idea of sleeping in the high top, to keep down below free and more space.

Problem is Im 6.1 and would have to go feet first (towards the back). Problem then is Im too tall and half my body would be over the ledge. Is there a panel I can make to extend this??

If so What and How?? Would need to be pretty strong I suppose. Is there such a thing??
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Post by Dad »

crazyhorse wrote:To add to this. I like the idea of sleeping in the high top, to keep down below free and more space.

Problem is Im 6.1 and would have to go feet first (towards the back). Problem then is Im too tall and half my body would be over the ledge. Is there a panel I can make to extend this??

If so What and How?? Would need to be pretty strong I suppose. Is there such a thing??

I'm 6'4" and sleep up there. A board across and a method to hold it in place is all you need, it's only got to hold a pillow and head on it. I've got 6" holes in mine so I can see down. I use the autosleeper ladder and a 4 mm mdf board that slots over.
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Sir Brixalot wrote:I've got an autosleeper with the kit ladder. Never used it

I don't think it's a ladder - just looks like one. It's not long enough to reach 'upstairs' anyway!
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Anyone got any pics of their mod just to get the general idea??
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz