Westfalia fridge not working

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Culpeo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Westfalia fridge not working

Post by Culpeo »

I have a 1990 Westfalia Atlantic. The fridge no longer works on any of the 3 way options. Is it most likely a case of getting it out, giving all the pipes etc a good clean and giving it a good old turn around to re distribute all the fluid inside or might it be something else? Just thought I'd ask before doing just that.

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: Westfalia fridge not working

Post by Porkscratching »

Sounds about the right thing to do. Hope you're going to post how it worked out for you.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

nsjtaylor

Post by nsjtaylor »

Yes and yes :ok

There are some mildly entertaining videos that people have posted on YouTube in regard to getting them going again (including turning it upside down so the crystals re-dissolve).
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

Burtybassett

Post by Burtybassett »

There certainly is, I found this one very helpful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtn2Yjkbco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watched it a few times then took out my fridge. I tightened all the gas joints & used PTFE tape (leak-tested too), tightened all the electrical connections, re-made off all the spade connectors, added a little case fan inside above the fins on a little switch, blew out all the gas/airlines & burped it. Had in running for 3 days on a gas bottle in the shed with the flu out of the window - it actually made ice in the little ice tray - I was very happy.
Worked fine for 2 years & was a bit hit & miss last year - so it is out again, right now, in the garage upside down. I've just bought a 120mm case fan to upgrade the noisy 'aircraft propeller' that is the original fan. Also just replaced the brittle silicon gasket with some high-temp instant gasket stuff I got from my local car parts store - so I'll see how that goes.

After all that, what I'm saying is, that with some TLC & a bit of tinkering, you can quite easily keep a 30 year old fridge still working & keep your Westie original.
:ok
1983 Westfalia Vanagon.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Culpeo wrote:I have a 1990 Westfalia Atlantic. The fridge no longer works on any of the 3 way options. Is it most likely a case of getting it out, giving all the pipes etc a good clean and giving it a good old turn around to re distribute all the fluid inside or might it be something else? Just thought I'd ask before doing just that.
Have you checked the fuses in the black box on the B pillar to the right hand side of the driver's seat? If you still have aluminium bullet fuses in there, they react with the copper connections and corrode and prevent power getting through. Twist them to break the corrosion. That might work. If it does work replace with copper ones to stop the problem recurring. Let us know if this works.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Any news? Have you got it working?

Culpeo

Post by Culpeo »

Brilliant help, thanks everyone. I'll check the fuse first then this weekends job will be to get it out for some TLC. I'll post up how I get on.