T3/T25 Sliding Door Unlocks When Driving

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

T3/T25 Sliding Door Unlocks When Driving

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Hi people, I've recently bought a T25/T3 Autosleeper. Having a bit of trouble with the sliding door.

The sliding door locks and won't open (at all!) when stationary, but as soon as you drive off it slides open?

Anyone had this issue?

I was looking at the paper work i got with the van and the last garage that looked at it found the fault, but said they couldn't figure it out or fix it?

Cheers.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Re: T3/T25 Sliding Door Unlocks When Driving

Post by edoh »

This one comes up frequently - :)

post this in the bodywork forum - and your much more likely to get a response
:ok

plus there are 2 videos on utube from gowesty that give you an idea on sliding door maintenance that might be of use :)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5UrduOCJws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Sometimes this sort of problem is because someone has used the wrong lubricant (grease) in the lock mechanism.
Before dismantling / filing / replacing, give it a good clean out and relube with a lighter lithium grease and see if that solves it.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

This happened to mine, the sliding door would pop open when driving even though it was locked. Scary!

The solution to was adjusting the pin in the door pillar, if you loosen it you can move it up and down slightly. I dropped mine a few mm and it fixed the problem. I think it's because the door has dropped slightly over time so the pin no longer lined up to the lock mechanism.

Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Or the jaws that grab that pin have opened up too far and it no longer holds properly. Do try removing old grease first. Most I use is 3-in-one oil now as it doesn't impede the speed of the grab (if you get my drift) - particularly in cold weather, whereas old grease now like toffee - does.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bene
80-90 Mem No: 13093

Post by bene »

I had to replace the part with the jaws for a good second hand unit as mine had worn too much...
There is talk of being able to file them down to make them square again but mine were too far gone (badly treated RHD UK syncro).
This is an early one -

Luckily mine only ever popped off the the first step of the jaw and never totally opened the door...
Good luck!
thanks
Any one for cricket? what what?

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Thanks for all the responses people. Very much appreciated. I'm still working on it :lol:
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

Mmalkie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Mmalkie »

I watched these x2 video's about 2 years ago, when my door actually came off in my hand !
They are good for issues wityh the door not rolling correctly, but don't actually help with the lock / front latch.

Don't get me wrong, they did help & I did order parts from them (which enjoyed a nice import tax), so the door slide properly, but it doesn't fully explain how to 'adjust the locking aspects' of the door.

Having stopped using my side door, as it always opened 50 yards after we pulled away, I've recently found this clip on youtube that addresses the problems with the front clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlO4NJRZC_I&t=726s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We just need to find a similar one that explains the catch & post at the rear of the door & how to adjust that...