Filling the water tank

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Filling the water tank

Post by captain Byrne »

Won't this be as good? Admittedly you have to change it each year, but still, for £22 it looks ok to me?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... _i=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I am sure that my Nature Pure was only around £100 mark also. I always filled up from streams etc when wild camping in Scotland - it stripped the peat colour from the water also! The cost of the replacement cartridges is high though.
That Whale product isn't in any way in the same league as the Nature Pure filtration.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Mocki wrote:A couple of things I've learnt in the last 25 years of camper ownership concerning on board water tanks ......

3. Never use baby sterilising fluid or tablets to clean the water tank out , it is not designed for the job and will damage anything metal , like pump impellers and taps . Use Puriclean , it designed for the job and it's cheaper !

Interesting Mocki; I used to pop a couple of sterilising tablets in the tank and always put chlorine bleach in before draining it down or re-filling after a lay up....and I've just had to replace my water pump!
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I am sure that my Nature Pure was only around £100 mark also. I always filled up from streams etc when wild camping in Scotland - it stripped the peat colour from the water also! The cost of the replacement cartridges is high though.
That Whale product isn't in any way in the same league as the Nature Pure filtration.

I did a month in Scotland years ago. I purchased the Nature Pure system mainly as in an event of anything I could fill up anywhere with water. For £109 I paid, ok the filters are pricey though good for 20,000L of water. The system already paid for itself instead buying bottled water. I don't like drinking from campsite mains!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

nesty

Post by nesty »

captain Byrne wrote:Won't this be as good? Admittedly you have to change it each year, but still, for £22 it looks ok to me?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... _i=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, another thing you have to bear in mind with Amazon there is a load of fake stuff on there from china. Due respect that filter looks like a plastic bottle and someone just slapped a label on it. If the item is dictating the quality, I put into my body. I'll buy from the company itself!

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

If I could get a Nature Pure kit for £100 as some of you have then I'd do it. The cheapest I've seen it for is £240.00.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I've got a great ally 70l tank between the chassis rails. Never use it though. Don't want to drive with any in it, and we're never 50 miles or whatever from a water source or stuck in the outback. Makes the tap a bit redundant, but the sink is useful. We lived in the van for 4 months too, but on a site so no water shortages. Going from the original van brochures, it's for exploring the Australian bush!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

nesty

Post by nesty »

captain Byrne wrote:If I could get a Nature Pure kit for £100 as some of you have then I'd do it. The cheapest I've seen it for is £240.00.

I got mine from the 12v shop in Cornwall. Though I think they have closed down now. Not sure if 12V planet is them re-branded (online only)?

The cheapest seen so far is £174 from these people for filter and pipes only.
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopu ... ilters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Asw
80-90 Mem No: 12781

Post by Asw »

I must admit i've ben thinking of adding some filtration, we tend to be on campsites and have an external water tank but would be happier with a filter.
I can't help thinking there must be something between £22.00 and £174.00
Ultimately, are we not all air cooled?
1981 Devon Moonraker, CU engine

nesty

Post by nesty »

The thing with the nature pure filter is I think it's a patented system.
There doesn't seem to be many UK outlets selling them.
Though that filter does completely put to bed any fowl tasting of water etc from tanks & healthy too!

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

The Nature Pure kit seems only available from Green Ecology and costs £240.00. I've however just bought a 3M alternative which I think may be a better system. I'll be fitting it this weekend. The total cost of this was £80.00. The filter head was from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321165631247? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the filter here: https://www.pozzani.co.uk/product_info. ... =1686&q=E2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The filter has a filtration of 0.2 microns which is better than the Nature Pure's 0.4 microns. It also has a better flow rate; 4 litres per minute, as opposed to Nature Pure's 2.8

E D I T Just fitted it - went in pretty easily & the water tastes fantastic!

Image Image

craigy345
80-90 Mem No: 13029

Post by craigy345 »

Clean at beginning of summer season or if van has not been used (probably some standing water left in the tank)
I have used this ...

81nQFOxjMVL._SL1500_.jpg
81nQFOxjMVL._SL1500_.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 4862 times

And then drop 2-3 tablets in the water on each fill to make sure the water is good to drink.

81ubqTtXbfL._AC_UL320_SR168,320_.jpg
81ubqTtXbfL._AC_UL320_SR168,320_.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 4862 times

Not expensive or the alternative is pay later in toilet roll :rofl
VW T25 1.6TD (JX) 1987 Westfalia Club Joker

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

That morning cup of tea has to taste good - It's all about the tea.

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

After our last outing in the van when the water in the tank hadn't been changed before we left and had sat in the sun for a few weeks and tasted of plastic...... :shock:
I started looking into filtering solutions.
Basically it seems to break down into-
1-Activated carbon filters which improve taste and smell as well as removing trace organic chemicals and chlorine. cheap and easy solution.
2-Carbon + silver filters which also provide an antibacterial action. more expensive but kills the germs. You're paying the extra for the silver content.
The bigger the filter the longer it lasts but the more you pay.
I'm now thinking that using aquaclean tablets (chlorine) as mentioned above to kill any bacteria, followed by a carbon filter to remove the chlorine might be a cost effective way ahead.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HansT »

bigbadbob76 wrote:After our last outing in the van when the water in the tank hadn't been changed before we left and had sat in the sun for a few weeks and tasted of plastic...... :shock:
I started looking into filtering solutions.
Basically it seems to break down into-
1-Activated carbon filters which improve taste and smell as well as removing trace organic chemicals and chlorine. cheap and easy solution.
2-Carbon + silver filters which also provide an antibacterial action. more expensive but kills the germs. You're paying the extra for the silver content.
The bigger the filter the longer it lasts but the more you pay.
I'm now thinking that using aquaclean tablets (chlorine) as mentioned above to kill any bacteria, followed by a carbon filter to remove the chlorine might be a cost effective way ahead.
Other baddies lurk in mains tap water - such as those that can cause acanthamoeba keratitis (a painful and sight-threatening condition). Contact lens wearers take note!
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater