Packing for rear cushion/mattress

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Packing for rear cushion/mattress

Post by meggles »

My van has the horrible checker plate covered drawer unit over the engine bay which the rear mattress sits on. The drawer unit is a bit heavy for me to be shifting about and I don't use the drawers anyway. Has anybody any ideas about doing away with it and raising the height of the rear mattress/cushions to match the height of the front two when in bed position? I thought of buying another mattress to stick under it but maybe there's a better idea. It's an Autohomes interior btw. many thanks folks

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Packing for rear cushion/mattress

Post by RogerT »

I can tell you what I've done, but I'm feeling a bit vague tonight so I'm not sure what you're after. Sorry!

I'll post up piccies later with Tapatalk.

I have my rear bed platform in three sections, one fixed section the full width behind the rear seat, and two over the engine compartment which hinge up to each side. Each section has a hinged leg underneath it, to either support the section, or hinge up and allow the mattress to store underneath - giving a solid luggage compartment floor. Like most of my original ideas, I LOVE IT!!! The engine compartment sections can be held up with a brace between them. Oh, and mine isn't a Autohomes, it's probably a home-brew.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The mattress slides under the floor sections for storage, usually just need to flip up the legs with a finger, and the back piece (the piece behind the rear seat) flips up itself. When you take out the mattress to put it on top for sleeping, the legs just drop down, but need to be straightened up. The downside, is that you have to open the tailgate to shift the mattress - even when it's raining (park front into the wind...) and the tailgate won't shut fully with the engine compartment sections open. I have on occasion rested the engine hatch up on the brace strut I use when the sections are up. If any of that makes sense.

Oh, and the plank lying on the lefthand side of the floor in the first photo - that's irrelevant. Thats what i use to put over the engine bay when working on it so I have something to lean on that is not engine/fuel lines/etc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that. I'll have a closer look when I'm on computer
On phone at moment.