Attaching Khyam Motordome to Westy Pop-top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Attaching Khyam Motordome to Westy Pop-top

Post by Mark S »

Hi there, I have been using a Khyam Motordome awning for the past 4 years, and purchased some plastic fig-8 sections to connect the kador strip of the tent to the gutter of the bus. This provides a nice, neat waterproof seal, but I don't like it for a number of reasons. First, it becomes detached easily in high winds and flaps around against the side of the bus; also, removal of the fig-8 tends to unseat and knacker the gutter trim.

I am looking for a bomb-proof and rapid way to attach tent to bus, that provides a reasonable seal against the elements. People must have been here before. Any tips?
1987 Westy Joker

tetleyman
80-90 Mem No: 5023

Re: Attaching Khyam Motordome to Westy Pop-top

Post by tetleyman »

I was wondering the same thing..

(Hopefully I'm not hijacking, this might be useful info!)
I previously used pole and clamps on my '87 high top Joker and it worked really well, except for allowing the slider top left corner to rip it when pulled tight. Wind was not a problem.
I'd give that a go if your gutter will take them.

I've got a '90 pop top California now and was unable to use the clamps last weekend as the door wouldn't shut over them. I can only conclude the gutters are not the same either due to age or the roof type. Bodged it with guy ropes slung over the roof but not ideal... was going to try fig 8 next but my search reveals lots of people annoyed with them. I see there's an option to attach a permanent C channel solution but that feels a bit drastic.

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

I use figure of eight and a C channel, works perfectly on my Autosleeper, I've had a figure of eight sewn into a 3m tarp and that attaches to the van in seconds using 3poles, perfect sun canopy. :ok
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Post by Mark S »

This might be some use for those with a flat roof:http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/khya ... tor-kador/.

I did experiment with threading my fig-8 onto a length of 8mm rope rather than the gutter, but it created a bit of a rain-gap and did not clear the door properly. I might therefore try the pole-and-clamp option.
1987 Westy Joker