Camping table & chair set - again

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Camping table & chair set - again

Post by Ralf85 »

Last year I spent some time looking for a set before buying. It wasn't cheap. It had solid aluminium frames and looked quality but the table top and seat surfaces soon absorbed moisture. After a week, one of the seats surfaces broke. Has anybody found a folding table and chair set that will last or am I wasting my time? Even the much cheaper integrated folding blue plastic set I bought before this lasted for several Summers, before it broke.

Cheers guys

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Re: Camping table & chair set - again

Post by pirate-pete »

Rather than a matching set how about a decent table and cheapo chairs?

I've had one of these for many years and it is still going strong. http://campervanculture.com/shop/cvc-li ... ing-table/
Came from Go Outdoors but looks identical to the Campervan Culture one.

As for chairs I get the supermarket ones when on a two for one deal or around the £7 mark. The Tesco and Sainsburys ones seem the same make - some times I can get a couple of seasons from them , other times one. The Higear ones don't last so we'll and found another one in B&M that collapsed the first time some one sat on it so I stick to the supermarket ones now.

Can get the table and four of these chairs under the westy back seat along with other kit. The more expensive padded chairs look more comfortable but I doubt most will last any longer and I don't know where I would store them in the van as they take up more room. If you have the space your priorities might be different.

Any way - thats what is tried and tested for me.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Cheers buddy. I think that my table will probably last for a year or two. We have a few other seats so we can cope for now. We will have a new Lidl opening about 50yds away from my front door next year, so I'll keep my eyes out for replacements!

nsjtaylor
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by nsjtaylor »

We have one of those all-in-one folding tables with the 4 chairs built in. Our is "OK", but the fixtures that hold it all together certainly don't hold up well if it's not planted geometrically perfectly on the ground. We find ourselves ensuring that everything is square before sitting on it every time we get up and down, which gets somewhat tedious.

That said; a friend of ours pulled out a (camping) folding table and benches last year, (benches fold up and fit inside the table) and they worked great. All aluminium construction. When our all-in-one bites the dust, we'll replace it with that. It was also much more forgiving of slightly uneven ground than ours.

Hope this helps.
"Bob" - 1984 Westfalia Joker High-Top, 1.9DG

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Have a look at Crespo gear, a Spanish company who make really good quality camping stuff: http://www.crespo.es/en/mesas_crespo.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have the AL-251 G table. Great quality, won't rust or soak up water when left outside in the rain, fully adjustable telescopic legs that work! Wasn't cheap & I think we paid €65 three years ago but It really is a good quality product & will last many years.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

ToolkiT73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Ralf85 wrote:Last year I spent some time looking for a set before buying. It wasn't cheap. It had solid aluminium frames and looked quality but the table top and seat surfaces soon absorbed moisture. After a week, one of the seats surfaces broke. Has anybody found a folding table and chair set that will last or am I wasting my time? Even the much cheaper integrated folding blue plastic set I bought before this lasted for several Summers, before it broke.

Cheers guys
how about this one?
http://www.justkampers.com/catalog/prod ... egory/704/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vango is a good brand as far as I know..