Danbury Autoroof....anyone got one?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sherlylock
80-90 Mem No: 14562

Danbury Autoroof....anyone got one?

Post by sherlylock »

Hi all,

I've got myself a project pop-top to eventually go on my van....and its a Danbury Autoroof. Had a good look round it at the weekend, the motor is still there and it works....unfortunately the cables have been cut off and discarded :(

I would love to get this working again but I'm guessing getting hold of replacement cables is going to be nigh-on impossible?

Need some gas struts for it too.......I assume new struts will hold the roof up without the electric mechanism? Its properly heavy!

Motor mount looks a bit heath-robinson. Guessing it wasn't fitted with 2 blocks of wood and a jubilee clip from the factory!?

Anyone know what should be at this end of the roof - looks a bit unfinished....

So - anyone on here with an original Danbury Autoroof who wouldn't mind taking a few reference photos (or better still let me head over and have a look?)

Cheers! :)

Professor plumb
80-90 Mem No: 14125

Re: Danbury Autoroof....anyone got one?

Post by Professor plumb »

Hi , I've got a Danbury side opening roof not an autoroof , mine just lifts up on the two struts and the inside looks the same as the one you have got.
1980 Danbury pop top 2.0 Aircooled. Money pit
Being refitted
1991 lle 1.6td pop top roof

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

They are pretty rare, I've only ever seen two , and one of them didn't work !
Both of them were members of this club from days gone by , and I haven't heard from either one for many years .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

sherlylock
80-90 Mem No: 14562

Post by sherlylock »

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

Mocki wrote:They are pretty rare, I've only ever seen two , and one of them didn't work !
Both of them were members of this club from days gone by , and I haven't heard from either one for many years .

I've done a bit of searching on the forum and found some users talking about Autoroofs (threads from about 6 years ago!) - sent some PMs and have had some joy.

I agree - they certainly seem rare. Would love to get it working again though......

Professor plumb wrote:Hi , I've got a Danbury side opening roof not an autoroof , mine just lifts up on the two struts and the inside looks the same as the one you have got.

Do you think yours might've been an Autoroof at some point (with all the electrics and lift mech removed)? Or did Danbury offer a manual side opening roof too?

I see you're in Wickford? Any chance I could pop over and have a look at your setup? There's a few bits of the bedding area that look a bit unfinished.....just wonder if its supposed to be the way it is. :)

Professor plumb
80-90 Mem No: 14125

Post by Professor plumb »

Hi your welcome to visit I'm about at the weekend will pm you my number give me a call and I will see you at the weekend
1980 Danbury pop top 2.0 Aircooled. Money pit
Being refitted
1991 lle 1.6td pop top roof