Newbie to the T25 world

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ToolkiT73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Newbie to the T25 world

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Hi all,

As our bongo 7seater pop-up failed the MOT and needs a lot of welding, and the mrs was keen on an upgrade with full camper interior, I'm now about to buy a T25..
Looking at a decent one with lots of parts replaced relatively recent.
Only downside is that it is a bit tatty on the interior (but not too bad) and fridge and curtains need replacing..
So now investigating what kind of fridge replacement makes sense (compressor or not) and if it worth investing in a solar panel to save on elec. hookup cost and make it more self sustainable..

Has anybody tried making new curtains? if so how much effort did it take? obviously alternatively I can buy pre-made ones..

Last question, I read somewhere there is VW meeting happening soon, does anybody have any details? Are these events worth going to? Do stalls normally give good deals there?

Shinydays

Re: Newbie to the T25 world

Post by Shinydays »

Hello

Like you we are new to the T25 world. I have just purchased my first ever T25 2 weeks ago. I have just re upholstered the cushions and curtains. Top tip for the curtains was to use the old ones for measurements. Luckily the old ones had fire proof lining in the middle so I managed to sandwich this between patterned cotton and curtains lining. I also re used the existing curtain tape . It took a couple of days but was relatively easy using a sewing machine . They now look great and cost approximately £70 to replace all curtains ( could have been cheaper but wanted a bright funky pattern). Hope this helps . We're also looking currently into the solar panel option and have someone local to come and have a look at the wiring this week and to give us a quote. I'll keep you updated with the outcome.

:lol:

ToolkiT73

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Shinydays wrote:Hello

Like you we are new to the T25 world. I have just purchased my first ever T25 2 weeks ago. I have just re upholstered the cushions and curtains. Top tip for the curtains was to use the old ones for measurements. Luckily the old ones had fire proof lining in the middle so I managed to sandwich this between patterned cotton and curtains lining. I also re used the existing curtain tape . It took a couple of days but was relatively easy using a sewing machine . They now look great and cost approximately £70 to replace all curtains ( could have been cheaper but wanted a bright funky pattern). Hope this helps . We're also looking currently into the solar panel option and have someone local to come and have a look at the wiring this week and to give us a quote. I'll keep you updated with the outcome.

:lol:
Thanks for the feedback.
Do you have any tips for the cushions too?

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

And Welcome.
Go big on solar, to much is better than not enough. I have 140w with two batters mounted in the engine area, £300 for the kit, easy to fit. Trickle charge to the starter means no flat batters.
If you want to camp without electric the go with a gas/electric fridge. I Hardly use hook ups but it's there if I need it.
Keep on top of all the work. Little and very often works for me. Spend when beaded.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moggymorgan
80-90 Mem No: 7655

Post by moggymorgan »

Welcome to the club

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

Shinydays

Post by Shinydays »

Hello again.
We bought some upholstery chenille from eBay to cover the cushions which was wide enough . I sewed one seam along the back edge (make sure it's a tight fit as they go baggy if not ) and then folded each end neatly like an envelope and then hand stitched the end seams . The did take a while but worth it. I'll take some photos later and send them as that will probably explain it better .

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

hi and welcome
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

Welcome to the maddness.
If you stick some details in your profile, we can see where you are from.

Regarding fridges: we have a Waeco compressor fridge, 2x75aH leisure batteries with a split charger and 120w solar to top them up. All interior lights are led and I changed the fan and motor on the fridge to a brushless, ball bearing one, just to save every bit of power.. Does us just fine.

Regarding shows: Bustypes at Oswestry is on over Easter. Dubs at the Farm in Ludlow the last weekend in April. :ok
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

Hi and welcome!

Don't write off the fridge. When we first bought our camper the fridge did not work (two way 12V and gas Electrolux).

As recommended on here, I removed the fridge, cleaned up the ignition system (full of dust/ grime) and placed it upside down fro 48 hours or so.

Hey presto it has now been working again for the last four years!!

My wife has created a new set of curtains - they are not difficult to make if you know anyone with a sewing machine.....

Have fun :ok

Mike

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Yes I remember that I did that with the fridge too. Works like a dream now too

ToolkiT73

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Da dan wrote:And Welcome.
Go big on solar, to much is better than not enough. I have 140w with two batters mounted in the engine area, £300 for the kit, easy to fit. Trickle charge to the starter means no flat batters.
If you want to camp without electric the go with a gas/electric fridge. I Hardly use hook ups but it's there if I need it.
Keep on top of all the work. Little and very often works for me. Spend when beaded.
Good luck

Thanks, do you have a link to the kit?
And any pictures of the result?

ToolkiT73

Post by ToolkiT73 »

mike9009 wrote:Hi and welcome!

Don't write off the fridge. When we first bought our camper the fridge did not work (two way 12V and gas Electrolux).

As recommended on here, I removed the fridge, cleaned up the ignition system (full of dust/ grime) and placed it upside down fro 48 hours or so.

Hey presto it has now been working again for the last four years!!

Mike
good to know, will try that :)

ToolkiT73

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Winchweight wrote:Welcome to the maddness.
If you stick some details in your profile, we can see where you are from.

Regarding fridges: we have a Waeco compressor fridge, 2x75aH leisure batteries with a split charger and 120w solar to top them up. All interior lights are led and I changed the fan and motor on the fridge to a brushless, ball bearing one, just to save every bit of power.. Does us just fine.

Regarding shows: Bustypes at Oswestry is on over Easter. Dubs at the Farm in Ludlow the last weekend in April. :ok
Thanks, will have to have a look at the profile settings.
We are based in Reading.

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

These guys are good for solar and led stuff.

http://www.beamled.com/12v-solar-1/12v- ... -kits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

ToolkiT73

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Winchweight wrote:These guys are good for solar and led stuff.

http://www.beamled.com/12v-solar-1/12v- ... -kits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've started making a shopping list from cheap sources:
-panels: http://www.banggood.com/2Pcs-Elfeland-3 ... 96134.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-controller: http://www.banggood.com/Mohoo-30A-12V24 ... 96433.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-enty gland: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-Waterpr ... 2178041197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-glue/sealant: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sikaflex-512- ... 2016172165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-cables: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-10M-MET ... SwImRYmGNw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I missing something?