Bed Guard for Toddler - Westy

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Bed Guard for Toddler - Westy

Post by Mark S »

Trying to sort out a decent sleeping arrangement for my lad, who is 21 months old and quite boisterous. In time, I'm going to get a cab hammock for him but at this time he would probably roll or climb off. For the time being I am thinking of putting him up in the roof bed (pop-top), but need some way to stop him falling out of the gap. I was thinking of securing him in the space with some sort of bed guard that I can attach at each side to the folding struts that hold the roof up. It will ideally fill the whole gap from bed to roof, and have some sort of quick-release mechanism so I can open it easily - almost like a stairgate.

I know you can buy bed guards, but these generally need to be held down by the weight of the mattress.

Any ideas?
1987 Westy Joker

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Re: Bed Guard for Toddler - Westy

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Have you looked at these purpose made edge guard for the westy pop top. Believe these fit onto pegs???

http://campervanculture.com/shop/bed-gu ... -t3-brown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Post by Mark S »

Amazing, thanks - exactly the concept I had in mind. I would prefer one slightly taller but may be able to improvise an extension using this one as a base.
1987 Westy Joker

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

We have a CVC guard and it's good for stopping the pillows falling off the edge, and is ok to stop you accidentally rolling off,

But the tube is quite thin, It does only rely on the 35mm stub so wont put up with much pulling or rocking from an awake boisterous toddler.

The mesh is pretty flimsy, in fact ours got holed within a year from being creased during storage, and no doubt the odd poke from my 6 year old. My wife has since made a canvas one and we are going to stitch a small see through panel from an old tent window so we can check on him.

My son has been sleeping up top & been able to get up there himself since about 2 & 1/2 ,He is aware of the danger of falling out & We tend to make sure he's asleep, with the guard in place before we go outside and he knows to holler if he needs to come down for a wee.
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.