Eberspacher BL2 Troubleshooting (FIXED) Spark generator

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Eberspacher BL2 Troubleshooting guide

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Therein lies the problem - there is quite a waiting list, 5 at the moment, 2 being done at present. So there are 3 people waiting for me to even start theirs.
They are usually £270 area.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Re: Eberspacher BL2 Troubleshooting guide

Post by badgerfax »

Beginning to think I should have my name on the list OBG.

Trouble is that I get a bit like a dog with a bone with stuff like this & don't always know when to say enough's enough and chuck away!

I have just removed the spark generator and connected directly to 12V......and nothing! have my suspicions that the fuel was being ignited by the glow plug only.

The back of the generator looks like something's happened to it a while ago, Notice the split and ooze mark!

Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

badgerfax

Re: Eberspacher BL2 Troubleshooting (FIXED) Spark generator

Post by badgerfax »

Ok so not liking the £170 odd price on a new spark generator I took a punt on this ex MOD one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272346737631? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After a bit of research and reading between the lines the 24 volt MOD heaters have step down circuit to 12v

The part number of this one is EZB 12/2-8 The part number of my damaged one is EZB 12/2-4 and I also found pics on a german site with someone also with a B2L which had a EZB 12/2-14 so I was fairly confident this one would be OK.

I rigged up direct to my test battery and:

Happy days and for the princely sum of £42.50 delivered :ok

The only modification necessary was to extend the HT lead. As the ends screw on I used a 3mm diameter screw with the head ground to a point. The 2 ends of HT lead then screw together so they but up and then 3 layers of heat shrink over the join.

Been testing this afternoon and all seems well.

Dog with a bone :lol:

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Result! That was a worthwhile punt.

I have been musing as to the use of a fridge spark generator also. Another train of thought was to get a glow plug to be able to ignite it on its own after all petrol Webastos don't use a spark generator, only a glow pin on the newer models and a glow plug on the older ones. Not having one to follow my thoughts on it will have to be pie in the sky!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

I wonder how the newer ones ignite the fuel?

I did get mine to fire up and it must have been just on the glow plug. I had most success when starting from cold.
The worrying thing is that a non functioning spark allows fuel to pump into the chamber for 3 minutes.

As is the way, when you take things apart, The good thing for me is the understanding of the inner workings of the heater and the start up procedure.

Funny enough I did consider a fridge igniter. The Prufrex one produces a continuous spark. A fridge igniter sparks only every second or so.

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Well had some time this week so I resprayed the case with some heatproof paint and fitted back on the van.

Going to test this evening