ARB or Fiamna awning?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

djswain1
80-90 Mem No: 15611

ARB or Fiamna awning?

Post by djswain1 »

Going to get A pull out awning, choices seem to be Fiamna F35 pro or ARB from campervanculture anybody got either of these or experience of them?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
Bessie the bus- 1987 Holdswoth Vision 1.9DG auto with VW factory hitop

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: ARB or Fiamna awning?

Post by Da dan »

How did you get on? Fancy one myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djswain1

Post by djswain1 »

Still undecided, saw my sister today and she has what she thinks is caravanstore awning in her garage off a caravan she had that I can have FOC if it is any use. So need to check that out first [WINKING FACE]

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Understood loud and clear!!! Would be doing the same. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

djswain1 wrote:Going to get A pull out awning, choices seem to be Fiamna F35 pro or ARB from campervanculture anybody got either of these or experience of them?

We used both for a few years but decided to supply the ARB as we found it a superior product.

I hope this helps ;)

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Hi Jed .. I've not seen the ARB so can't really comment on the quality but as a direct comparison to the F35 Pro surely the hard case compared to the soft case tips the choice in Fiamma's favour.
The other observation I have and it applies to both products in this 2.5 meter size, is that its not wide enough to offer adequate cover to the sliding door in the rain. After living with a 2.6 meter F45Ti for 6 years, I got fed up of getting a wet floor and upgraded to a 3.0 meter F45S that goes another 50cm over the door which massively improves cover.
Is the ARB available in a 2.8 or 3.0 meter size?

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 26 Feb 2017, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

wolfbus.uk

Post by wolfbus.uk »

jed the spread wrote:
We used both for a few years but decided to supply the ARB as we found it a superior product.

Jed

How so?

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

As Jed mentioned we have both had Fiammas in the past and the ARBs definitely won out. There's a few reasons why. The Fiamma rattled while driving, a lot. Even more so when off road. They also have a lot of plastic components that we didn't really like as they tend to break (spare parts are quite pricey). The ARB awning is lighter and has a nice selection of extras that make the space even more usable. The only down side is you cannot adjust the distance you have them coming out from the vehicle. I hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

wolfbus.uk

Post by wolfbus.uk »

Helpful post cheers, good to know the fiamma is not up for syncro-ing. Wonder if anyone has fabricated anything themselves?

California Dreamin

danmetallic wrote:The Fiamma rattled while driving, a lot. Even more so when off road. They also have a lot of plastic components that we didn't really like as they tend to break (spare parts are quite pricey). The ARB awning is lighter and has a nice selection of extras that make the space even more usable. The only down side is you cannot adjust the distance you have them coming out from the vehicle. I hope that helps a bit.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So the hard metal bodied F35 Pro rattles and the awning in a bag ARB doesn't. good folk out there please analyse lol.

I'm sure the ARB is a very fine awning but surely you should be comparing it to the much cheaper Fiamma CaravanStor awning in a bag, where the question would perhaps be price against quality.
At 2.5metres size the Fiamma doesn't come out (extend) as much as the ARB but as I've pointed out, the main draw back with this 2.5m size is very poor sliding door protection in the rain so you should really be buying a 2.7 or 3.0 meter version anyway.

Does the ARB come in this larger size?

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 26 Feb 2017, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

wolfbus.uk wrote:Helpful post cheers, good to know the fiamma is not up for syncro-ing.

It can be. All you need to do is stick a couple of cable ties around the closed awning before you go off-road and you won't hear a peep from it.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

i have a 3 meter pro35 awning and it doesn,t rattle and been on there 3 plus years its smaller than caravanstore zip one with hard case and better looking than the pro45 monster? :ok
simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

California Dreamin

And
Conscious that i haven't seen an ARB in the flesh and I believe Jed when he says it's good quality but I can't get away from the 'size thing' and my own experience of going from a 2.6M F45Ti to a 3.0M F45S and how much better the extra width protects the sliding door opening in the rain.

So for me, the choices are not those given in the original post but between these two:

2.5 meter ARB with mounts @ £369.99
Versa's
3.0 meter F35 Pro with mounts (This bigger size is the SAME PRICE as the 2.5m ARB)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

djswain1

Post by djswain1 »

Looks like we'll be trying the catavsb store as it's free and just need a some new pins in one leg. Just need to fit an awning rail to the high top.

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

clift_d wrote:
wolfbus.uk wrote:Helpful post cheers, good to know the fiamma is not up for syncro-ing.

It can be. All you need to do is stick a couple of cable ties around the closed awning before you go off-road and you won't hear a peep from it.

My Fiamma F35 came with a nice red tie which I use. Never had a peep out of mine when off-roading.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG