Propex heater service

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Re: Propex heater service

Post by Born Too Late »

So I had a go at lighting it up today, the fan did the pre-startup thing and the ignition clicked but nothing happened. Tried this a few times before realising the gas tap with the snow flake is for the fridge, not for when it's cold enough to need the heater :oops:

Anyway, once I turned on the right gas tap it fired up straight away, bit of a burnt hair smell for a while and I'll check the exhaust under the van as Itchy suggests but other than that I'm pretty pleased.

Thanks for your help/suggestions :ok

Wes
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

yes don't forget the exhaust, if it's broken the the gas fumes collect under the van and the inlet is sucking exhaust back in which is not good for combustion.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

eddioke
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by eddioke »

This post has me wondering now? I'm thinking of buying a Propex heater but as the original question says the previous owner didn't use it over the past 8 years. Are these heaters a good investment or something I think I will need till I get one use it a couple of times then it sits there gathering dust?

I have a vision of getting up on early turn switching the heater on in the van while the kettle boils then setting off to work with a frost free windscreen, I also read somewhere that someone (air cooled van) fitted the heater duct into the windscreen de mister ?

any advice would be very welcome.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

eddioke wrote:I also read somewhere that someone (air cooled van) fitted the heater duct into the windscreen de mister ?

Silly idea - the back pressure will be wrong for the heater. Heaters need to be designed to suit integration with vehicle ventilation systems. If anything create a dedicated vent for the screen if you wish to use it for that purpose.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

eddioke

Post by eddioke »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
eddioke wrote:I also read somewhere that someone (air cooled van) fitted the heater duct into the windscreen de mister ?

Silly idea - the back pressure will be wrong for the heater. Heaters need to be designed to suit integration with vehicle ventilation systems. If anything create a dedicated vent for the screen if you wish to use it for that purpose.

Thanks I'll plug in to the mains with my little electric fan heater as planned that way I don't have to go outside just click a switch in the kitchen while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil. So long as I remember to unhook the umbilical cord before driving away

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Theres not much to go wrong on them. The only real weakness perhaps is the fan motor which can seize if neglected for years. Before you start it up, shove a vacuum cleaner hose into the outlet which should spin the fan automatically as well as pull out any dead bugs or resident spiders. Then make sure you've got gas, its turned on, and your battery is in good fettle. It should start up fine.

You can also fit a remote (also in WIKI) so on a freezing day you can start propex up from indoors and it'll be toasty by the time you leave. I'm using a car at mo, but for last four years I've used the propex before setting off to work AND on the way to work. Beats a bobble hat and scarf.

If everything works, always run it for ten minutes every month (even in Summer) so everything runs free.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ToolkiT73

Post by ToolkiT73 »

Hi,

Similar issue here.. previous owner never used the heater..
At first I thought the problem was electrical (missing fuse and dodgy connection on switch), but after replacing the fuse and soldering on the switch properly the unit lights up again.
However the system goes into the start up cycle and switches itself back off after the ignition sounds..
I checked the voltages and even tried it with the engine running and power seems to be ok.. so fear it could be the unit itself..

Besides getting it serviced by propex is there anything else I can try?