Hi all. Conversion identification needed.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Poptop2again
80-90 Mem No: 0

Hi all. Conversion identification needed.

Post by Poptop2again »

Hi all.

I haven't been on for while as I couldn't log in as poptop2 for some reason and had to re register. Since I was last on I have sold my T25 bought two bugs, sold one and swapped my bay for a superb LT50 motorhome. I have also been on the bay of fleas and bought a nice little t25 to do up and use this summer as a daily come weekender, which I initially thought was a autosleeper and am now having doubts about being a Autosleeper or autohomes.

It has the usual water issues, it has had new rad, fans etc and yet it still occasionally overheats, ( new heads a year or so ago) I am at present fitting a new pump before testing the heads. Anyway, I digress. The conversion looks like a autosleeper and apart from the way the roof folds out at the ends looks just like one, but I thought I would pop on here to pick your collective brains.

Image[/url][/url]
[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/ma ... .jpg[/img][/url]

So this roof opens out on the ends.

This one ( Autosleeper ) folds in

If it isn't a autosleeper what is it?

Re, the water problem. I drove it for a month including a 120 mile trip home with absolutely no issues whatsover. The guy I bought it off told me it was boiling over on occasion and he had had enough of spending out on it. I noticed a small rad leak when on my drive, but really just a trickle, so didn't worry too much, than one day out of the blue it boiled over. There is no thermostat in it and the system is practically new. I will try replacing the pump this month and then test the heads. Any advice regarding this would be appreciated too.

What is the conversion? Malc
Last edited by Poptop2again on 02 Jan 2017, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Re: Hi all. Conversion identification needed.

Post by dumbo »

it not the white autohomes as in the picture ive not see one before :ok
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

dumbo wrote:it not the white autohomes as in the picture ive not see one before :ok

I meant to post a picture of a autosleeper roof folded down which initially made me think Autosleeper as well as the authohomes roof, soz for the confusion.

This is what made me think it was a autosleeper as it looks very similar when folded down

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

The random overheating is probably due to the radiator leak, the way the cooling system works with the expansion tank full and the pressure cap moving coolant in and out of the reservoir, means that if it's easier to pull air into the system through a leak rather than pull coolant through the pressure cap it will, if that leak is in the radiator then the air will.stay in the top of the radiator eventually you will.end up.in the position where there is not enough coolant in the radiator to keep the temperatures in check.
It's not a good idea to be running with no thermostat, as it is dual purpose, not only does it allow coolant to the radiator as it does so it closes off the radiator bypass.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

MGP wrote:The random overheating is probably due to the radiator leak, the way the cooling system works with the expansion tank full and the pressure cap moving coolant in and out of the reservoir, means that if it's easier to pull air into the system through a leak rather than pull coolant through the pressure cap it will, if that leak is in the radiator then the air will.stay in the top of the radiator eventually you will.end up.in the position where there is not enough coolant in the radiator to keep the temperatures in check.
It's not a good idea to be running with no thermostat, as it is dual purpose, not only does it allow coolant to the radiator as it does so it closes off the radiator bypass.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

The missing thermostat was discovered when I was checking the system. I never removed it, but have a new one here ready to go in. :ok

dandaz
80-90 Mem No: 659

Post by dandaz »

looks like a delher proft.... :ok
Member 659..

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

dandaz wrote:looks like a delher proft.... :ok

Now you're taking the Mick Mick :D

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Definitely not a 'sleeper either inside or out.
middle window is not right, furniture, bed, or the trim around the window

good luck :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

dandaz

Post by dandaz »

MGP wrote: It's not a good idea to be running with no thermostat, as it is dual purpose, not only does it allow coolant to the radiator as it does so it closes off the radiator bypass.

I took mine out three years ago ,driving up the Pyrennes in the middle of summer pushes my needle (even though I have worry switches) ,in winter I got cardboard in front of the rad... :ok

Mine is staying out ,in Britain might be a good idea to keep it... :D
Member 659..

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

dandaz wrote:
MGP wrote: It's not a good idea to be running with no thermostat, as it is dual purpose, not only does it allow coolant to the radiator as it does so it closes off the radiator bypass.

I took mine out three years ago ,driving up the Pyrennes in the middle of summer pushes my needle (even though I have worry switches) ,in winter I got cardboard in front of the rad... :ok

Mine is staying out ,in Britain might be a good idea to keep it... :D

You don't have a housing for a early thermostat in your stash do you? I have snapped the stud on this one!

dandaz

Post by dandaz »

no mate ,but i am pretty sure i snapped mine ,i think you can drill one out completly and put a nut and bolt in..

My advise mess with the van when the weather is better... :wink:
Member 659..

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

dandaz wrote:no mate ,but i am pretty sure i snapped mine ,i think you can drill one out completly and put a nut and bolt in..

My advise mess with the van when the weather is better... :wink:
Doing the hallway atm, but my mate Bryan ( remember the sill on the wrong way Bryan?) is a pretty good mechanic, is at a loose end and wants to have a go at it. I have agreed, seeing as I need it moved to MOT the LT.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Will drill out fairly easily, did mine the other year and i'm a mechanical numpty :ok
David
the future is unwritten

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

jrt wrote:Will drill out fairly easily, did mine the other year and i'm a mechanical numpty :ok
David

Nice one. Thanks :ok

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

Blimey. No one has a clue what conversion it is. It must be very rare and worth hundreds now! :ok