Anyone used a maypole van cover?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Anyone used a maypole van cover?

Post by baj25 »

Hi, We need a new cover after the recent storm trashed our previous one. Last one was from JK but quality was not good, I've just found a Maypole MP6584 that says it is suitable for high tops (ours is an autosleeper trident), anyone used them or know if this will fit (it says height up to 68", which isn't a very high high top!). I know opinion is divided on covers, but I prefer them... TIA, Bri

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Anyone used a maypole van cover?

Post by kevtherev »

I have an Autosleeper high top.
I have found carnuba wax is far and away better for weather protection than any cover.
Autoglymm High-Def contains this wax, it's not cheap, but applied twice a year gives astounding protection..
It allows the van to air and dry naturally, it also protects the paint and brings back its lustre.
Covers do a lot of damage to the paint and overtime render it porous to water.

Just what I have learned from experience.

Invest in carnuba wax not covers.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

wee bugger
80-90 Mem No: 3238

Post by wee bugger »

I have one for my tintop...its huge! easily fit on a hightop, and im sure the measurement is roof to floor rather than roof to ground...

Van is used regularly during winter so only used cover occasionally if i know its gonna sit for any length of time and i take off as much as possible (every sunny/dry day)...that leads to the next issue - putting on and off is only easy if you have easy access and 2 people (at least) . Mine is parked next to a wall so its not easy. Everyone suggests it can be hard on paint, but mine is hand rollered in nato green so not an issue. Keeps about 80% of rain out, but does get condensation under as while it's breathable.

I got it to prevent/minimise the many leaks I had/have...tailgate, windscreen, cab window seals etc

Once you cover it, you start to forget its part of the family so thats an important factor...what do need it for? protection...or to shy away from your T25 responsibilities :wink:
1987 1.6d CS LHD Kombi TinTop

Scotlands Premier VW Club http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk Monthly meets

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Generally not keen on them. Prefer to rely on wax.
However I have a UK Custom Cover one on at the moment, plus metal screening, to keep the builders away from my pride and joy. Fits my Autosleeper hi top. Little tight around the bumper end caps. More water resistant than waterproof and it will be off in about 2 weeks time.
It does the job. There are more heavy duty ones out there (Protec) but they are more expensive.
I read somewhere that someone purchased one of these and it had a JK label in it. They look very similiar in the advertising pictures.
I will keep hold of it when my builders have gone because it will be handy when I have a window out or wish to keep repairs dry overnight.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Thanks for replies, I've ordered one, according to info it should fit. Probably the biggest benefit I see with a cover is protection from the sun, it trashes rubber and interiors over time. I do use the hidef wax as well after learning about it on here. I also understand what you mean about forgetting van once it is covered, but I avoid using it when there is any salt on the roads so it is out of service for a while each winter. As I write this, I've spotted a flaw in my case- cover it up most, when UV is lowest... Ta again, Bri

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Ah the cunning plan has a small flaw :D
To be fair I built a van port for extra protection, probably the best compromise if you can do it
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Billleivers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Billleivers »

I have a Maypole and for what it is, it's great. But to echo other replies, I've hardly used it this winter. I keep the van well waxed and let it dry naturally after rain. IMHO the best way to protect the van is to use it as much as possible all year round. Taking the bloody cover off and putting it back in again is a hassle and if it discourages you from using your van, don't do it!
1989 T25 Reimo Primus, 2.1 inj.

LostDog
80-90 Mem No: 15548

Post by LostDog »

I've got one massive on my tiptop. I agree though its such a pain to get off and on it puts you off using the van. Got mine off Amazon which I think is the cheapest.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Tinworm farmers of the world unite.:-)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"