Pull Out Awning .... Help with decsion making

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Pull Out Awning .... Help with decsion making

Post by JonathanR »

I'm flip flopping around trying to decide on which pull out awning to go for. Have read numerous threads and watched all the videos but need to make the decision as I would like to fit for my daughters first outing in the van in a few weeks time. Writing this in part to try and help my thoughts. Any advice/opinions will be appreciated or just pictures will help. I looked at a few at the last campsite I was on but would have liked to have seen more.
I narrowed it down to a pull out awning and 2.5M.
It seems ARB and Fiamma are the two likely options. A few questions:

1. Are there any downsides with bag vs solid case eg noise when travelling or durability. Although I think the cheaper entry level Fiamma caravanstore awning comes in a bag.
2. ARB and the Fiamma F35 both unwind manually Does anyone who bought a manual operation wish they had spent the money and bought the windup. Was with a friend at the weekend and his wind up mechanism (not a Fiamma) had broken so with manual you always no you can put it up :wink:
3. With both manual and windout the legs still have to be maneuvered into place - are both operations as easy as the videos suggest and if vertically challenged are the manual ones difficult with arms stretched to maximum.
4. How easy do the manual roll up ones go back in the bag/box.
5. Those of you with high tops - how many are fixed to the top rather that to the gutter. Is weight an issue with the F45 which looks big in the flesh for a smallish van. Ideally I'd like to fit flush to the high top but suspect I will start with a gutter fitting.

The ARB looks a stronger material, and the more rugged product. The Fiamma a more engineered neater product (both my personal opinion). I'm not sure what best suits the van in leafy England or the Mongolian desert. I have not seen the ARBs in real life.

Its quite an expensive item to get wrong or regret the purchase. I have the option if I go with the ARB to migrate it to my Land Rover when built.

Both require additional fixings for gutter - around £50 for the Fiamma fittings and £100 for ARB.

Well my thoughts down I am still unsure. But in that most people seem happy with whatever one they have perhaps I am over analysing.

Anyone with a different option - made their own and just clip in on?

Comments to guide my decision making will be much appreciated :D
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol