Where to locate a Gas powered heater ?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rivage5
80-90 Mem No: 12481

Where to locate a Gas powered heater ?

Post by rivage5 »

Hi All

last week I dipped my toe into fitting extra heating to our Aircooled Devon (Auto) and bought (possibly foolishly) a second hand Romotron gas powered heater - same principle as a propex - it blows hot or cold air.

In between sleet and snow showers yesterday I bench (or more accurately garden chair)tested the Remotron gas heater yesterday - it seems to works fine but would like your advice on the instalation location. Inside is a problem due to having no space in under the rear bench due to the LPG tank filling the whole space and the cupboards get used as intended.

Our camper is a poverty spec VW 2.0l auto and came without an electric fan and relies on the alternator fan to "blow" the heat all the way to the cab. The instruction manual for the heater confirms that the Remotron can be placed in or outside the vehicle (in the engine compartment and such like).

I would like your thoughts and advice on fitting it in the huge hole above the spare wheel up front and then plumbing it directly into the heater tube before it enters the cab.

or

In the space between the chassis rails to the rear of the petrol tank and again plumbing this into the heater tube. This would have the advantage of being able to utilise the floor vent in between the front seats and allow us to direct warm air direct into the living area when parked up or even on the move.

In either location I would look to shield it to protect it from the direct affects of the weather

Serious advice on how to pipe up the gas. Orange flexi gas pipe or rigid copper pipe. The 6kg propane bottle lives in a cupboard inside.

Thoughts / coments please.

kind regards