Autohomes rigid pop top roof replacement - PICTURES!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Titan
80-90 Mem No: 13972

Autohomes rigid pop top roof replacement - PICTURES!

Post by Titan »

We bought a 1986 T25 this summer, which was at a bargain price due to the rigid pop top roof being in a very sorry state. We were told that it wouldn't pop open because the gas struts were knackered, but in actual fact they were fine. It wouldn't pop open because the roof had rotted so badly, chunks of it were missing and the gas struts had nothing to attach to! Once home we realised how badly the roof leaked - it was sagging a lot and water pooled in the middle. So we set about finding a replacement roof. I wanted to keep the rigid sides and just replace the roof cap, rather than fit a different type of roof, because I like the space it gives. I got a quote for around £2500 to replace the roof cap (drop it off, get it done and pick up a week later), but we thought we could have a go oursleves for a lot less.

Here is the van when we had just bought it, with the original black roof cap. What you can't see is how badly it sags on top!

We removed the roof with the help of a couple of friends.

I found a company locally (Cornwall) to make a fibreglass roof cap exactly like the existing one - Shapes GRP in Bissoe, Cornwall. He took the old roof cap, made a mould and made a new fibreglass roof cap to the same dimensions.

We were charged £660 for this, as there was a lot of labour and time involved in making the mould in addition to the roof cap. I'm sure it would cost less for them to make a second one. It was all a bit trial and error. We needed wooden batten fixed in so that we could attach the hinges for the folding sides, and the gas struts, so he fibreglassed 10cm of 12mm plywood in around each edge.

Once we had the roof cap home, I had the arduous task of fitting out the interior with insulation, boarding it with 4mm plywood and carpeting it.

Then the folding sides needed to be attached in the correct places, and curved wooden ends made for the folding front and back to attach to.

It sounds easy, but this took me hours and hours. It was made more difficult because our original roof had pretty much fallen apart, or been taken apart at the workshop when he was measuring it to make the mould, so we had nothing to take accurate measurements from. It was very difficult measuring from what we had (the bottom part of the pop top) and transposing that to the roof cap when we didn't know excactly how they would line up.

I stupidly forgot to take a photo of it completely fitted out before we put the roof back on - I ran out of time. We had acro props on hire, four friends waiting to help (in addition to my son and husband), and the weather wasn't going to stay dry for long! As soon as I got the last screw in we got it up on the van to attach the gas struts.

Here the gas struts are fixed, the roof is secured by two locks, and my daughter and I slept in it for the first time (in the driveway) to try it out. No leaks!

It was another few weeks before we managed to get all the folding ends attached properly due to the weather - as soon as we'd pop the roof up and start working on it the heavens would open! The first time we attached both ends, the sides didn't line up right to we had to make a few minor changes, but finally got it all sorted.

Here is a link to the slideshow on photobucket, with more photos. I tried to take one of everything I did along the way. http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/tinas ... eplacement

The only issue we had during this process was the fact that we didn't have the original roof to measure the interior fitting from - and the exact position of the gas strut brackets. If we had had this it would have been far easier. I might have also tried to glue the wooden battens rather than fibreglass them in because to screw through the fibreglass into the wooden batten I had to countersink each hole, otherwise the gel coat would crack, the fibreglass broke up and made a mountain and the screw wouldn't go in. This meant I had to know the position of every single screw and then countersink or pre drill the holes before boarding and carpeting, and then mark them accurately on the carpet. Very labour intensive, and no room for error.

It was all a bit of trial and error really, but i am happy with how it goes together now. it's not perfect - there are a couple of small gaps where the sides and end don't meet exactly - but I can work out a fix for this. I've got a couple of seals missing on the folding sides, but I will source these from eBay.

If anyone else is considering doing something similar I would be happy to give you more details about any part of the process. It was a bit of a mission but it's been well worth it!

I have since re-wallpapered the interior and fixed a new light inside. I will post more photos once I get the mattress covered and get it looking nice.
T25 Autohomes Kamper - rigid pop top - 1986 - 1.9 diesel

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Autohomes rigid pop top roof replacement - PICTURES!

Post by colinthefox »

Thanks for the excellent write-up and great pics. There can't be many of us Autohomes Kamper owners who haven't had to bite the bullet and replace the rooftop swimming pool. Doesn't it all get wobbly from side to side when you're trying to put the new top on!

My approach was to design something a bit lighter and more aerodynamic, but still with rigid insulated sides with windows in. It's a full 70kg lighter than the Autohomes version. I did away with the roof ventilator and installed an extract fan

You're right though, it is a hell of a lot of work.

Perhaps we start a thread of everyone's different solutions to this problem. Here's a link to my very old thread on JK................

http://www.justkampers.com/forum/viewto ... 5#p2078635
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Good work! I turned a damaged Dehler roof into a roof-tent/roofrack faring this summer and whilst it's a great fuel saver it is HEAVY. I would like to have another go at it and I've had a few enquiries about taking a mould from it so this may be a viable product.

The price sounds pretty good to me, I take it that you have ownership of the mould?

kev savage
80-90 Mem No: 9518

Post by kev savage »

Titan
I have spoken to Neil at Sharps GRP and he is willing to supply me with a roof cap for my autohome like yours . Before i order one is there any things i need to know , any pitfalls or alterations that are beneficial. Many Thanks . Kev .
DG 1.9 Petrol 1989 Autohome.

ricp
80-90 Mem No: 13671

Post by ricp »

Just spoken to them as my roof needs replacing and I cannot stomach the £2k + from other firms to do the work that I could do. What great people and very helpful.
Do either of you know if it possible to use the original method of securing the roof down, using the latch at the back and the sprung pin at the front? I see that Titan has used clips either side, is this in addition to or instead of?
Thanks in advance.

ossian72
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ossian72 »

Guys, does anyone know if it is possible to buy/replace/hack the plastic trim of the Autohomes rigid panel pop roof? The cap and panels are fine, but the trim could do with repair./replacing... also the rusty closing mechanism... thanks

stoneageman
80-90 Mem No: 8899

Post by stoneageman »

Hello, 

I wonder if anyone of you Autohomes guys know where i could get the original roof rack for an Autohomes Kamper. Unfortunately previous owner removed mine. Just wondered if there was anywhere that sells the original ones.

Will be replacing the gas struts this year too, either they aren't working or i'm getting in weaker  :D

bobr43
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bobr43 »

Hi there I have a Autohomes like yours and removed the rack as I am on my own and never likely to use it . It is just a tubular aluminium frame  with feet .
I am in  Haverhill Suffolk , send me a text if interested .
Regards Bob

stoneageman
80-90 Mem No: 8899

Post by stoneageman »

Great thanks Bob, i have send you a email  :D