RM212F Fridge igniter fix

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

RM212F Fridge igniter fix

Post by meggles »

Just posting this in the hope it helps someone else. The igniter, operated by a rocker switch on my fridge, wasn't working. The spark only occurred once every 20 seconds or so. If I tried to get the fridge to light I either pushed the gas button too late and 'missed the spark' or too early and too much gas got through and it popped loudly and blew the pilot out. I had spent some time with a stop watch and worked out the exact time to push the gas button in. (20 seconds). The box of tricks on the top of the fridge which was the problem was apparently no longer available. A 'possible' replacement was getting on for £100 :shock:
So... I needed a new gas bottle so went to my supplier who just happens to be a garden machinery repairer and also repairs Super Ser portable gas heaters. The cabinet type of thing, sure you know what I mean. Anyway, I discussed a few ideas on how to fix the problem with my fridge. Long story short: He sold me a used push button spark generator for the princely sum of ONE POUND. Yes £1!!! The type used on some fridges and the Super Ser heaters. I needed to drill a hole of the appropriate size in my facia plate on the fridge. Once the igniter was fitted I simply needed to take the igniter lead from the old unit and plug it into the push button igniter. I did need to modify the terminal because the original was a spade terminal and the replacement was a round terminal. The old gubbings which is still on the top of the fridge is left in situ and the rocker switch left in the off position. (In case I get a good used one so I can go back to original). I now have a fridge working on gas for £1 (plus the cost of the one I ordered from ebay before I went for my gas today :roll:) At least I have a spare. If anybody needs to do the same mod and needs pics please feel free to ask.