Levelling ramps - word of warning

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lanciaman
80-90 Mem No: 13785

Levelling ramps - word of warning

Post by Lanciaman »

Had a night somewhere this weekend and required the levelling ramps. It had been wet all afternoon.
Positioned ramps and attempted to reverse up onto them. I think the ramp sank into the soft (now wet) ground, and I didn't get the feeling I had 'gone up' and before I realised, I'd gone over. HID had gone to the loos, so no-one was watching for me, but even if she had been, and called stop, I think the same would have happened.
The result was the ramp tipped up at the leading edge and jammed against the water tank box underneath, and the front of the tyre that had just rolled over it. It was locked solid, and I was unable to move forwards or backwards on the wet grass - as soon as I tried to drive, the other wheel lost adhesion, spun and the diff dropped drive to the wheel on the ramp.
In the end and after a lot of revving up and levering - and swearing - I freed it away by breaking off the thin end of the wedge and yanking them out. (These are Thule brand: very tough, hard plastic).
So a lesson learned: you are in trouble if the ramp is placed behind the wheel, and you go over.
As far as I know, the tank isn't damaged, but not had chance to properly inspect yet (still raining).