Engine bay raised platforms/storage - show and tell

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Engine bay raised platforms/storage - show and tell

Post by AngeloEvs »

I took my rear storage (Autohomes Karisma) out and replaced it with a Foam matress of the correct thickness. I was more interested in the comfort and the extra insulation, especially during the winter. :D

Never missed it or the hassle of getting to the engine hatch. But if extra storage is important then worth making.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Rtmgsn
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Rtmgsn »

Anyone got any experience or advice in allowing for this raised area to function with a rock roll bed made from hinges?

I have a pair of the repro westfalia hinges same ones in this photo..

Westi hinge.jpg
(43.89 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

From what I see the arm that comes off the hinge and fixes to the floor of the van depicts what hight the bed can sit at?

I dont thinking packing up the area that the bracket from the hinge fixes into is the way to go.. that would require a very long bolt to sit through the bracket the wood used to pack it up and then the floor..

Ideally im trying to create a raised engine bay area of about 150mm without having a step down where the mattress meets the seat in its flat form as a bed.

Any help much appreciated

Rtmgsn

Post by Rtmgsn »

I see Campervan Culture produce a hinge designed for this but cant imagine everyone out there is buying this hinge to allow for the rear raised bed?

raised bed hinge cc .jpeg
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

One option is have a much fatter cushion on the seat/actual rock roll which meets a thinner mattress topper style one that sits on the large space over the raised engine bit..

Any help much appreciated, kid out job very much at a standstill until I find out/make a decision on this!

Thank you all

Rtmgsn

Post by Rtmgsn »

Noticed this one on Just Campers, Your Rides has a small step down when the rock roll is in its bed position.

raised bit step.jpg
(99.65 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

Is this widely accepted as a work around?
Potentially just had a thinner foam bit at the back to cater for the step.