weco in a westy

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: weco in a westy

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

California Dreamin wrote:Maybe I'm being a bit picky....and what you have done looks very neat however, I would still like to have seen a matching 'door' with trim and not the front of the Waeco fridge.....like Westfalia fashioned for the original.

Martin

Rob (Dutchdude) bought the cooling element, compressor etc and fitted it to the original westy fridge. I haven't seen inside his fridge but with the door closed it looks completely original looking. The only downside is you don't have the freezer compartment.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Dutchdude
80-90 Mem No: 206

Post by Dutchdude »

Works like a charm :D Looks completely stock. Flat element mounted in rear of fridge, compressor unit on top. It's a waeco Coldmachine cu 55. I've tried EVERYTHING to keep the original door, I even bought a waeco compressor fridge, but it is impossible to do. (waeco MDC50 compressor fridge, fits the original hole (42,5 cm wide) for sale now btw).

Best thing of it all: it runs completely off the solar panels, the fridge draws just 2.5 amps. Never any need for hookup or sterling chargers for that matter. Just tested it on a two week trip and works even better than expected.

I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. Pricewise better too, the compressor units are much cheaper than a complete fridge and it's the same mechanics. this is the unit I bought, I found a used one..:

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99 ... ng-kit-box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also get a version with a freezing compartment instead of the flat unit:

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99 ... ooling-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Neil, although I wanted to keep the original look as well, I have to complement you on your work, very nice install, best one I've seen so far.
1991 Syncro Westy 16"
1990 Westy California
2003 Karmann Colorado 580H
1990 Golf mark 2

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

Dutchdude wrote:Works like a charm :D Looks completely stock. Flat element mounted in rear of fridge, compressor unit on top. It's a waeco Coldmachine cu 55. I've tried EVERYTHING to keep the original door, I even bought a waeco compressor fridge, but it is impossible to do. (waeco MDC50 compressor fridge, fits the original hole (42,5 cm wide) for sale now btw).

Best thing of it all: it runs completely off the solar panels, the fridge draws just 2.5 amps. Never any need for hookup or sterling chargers for that matter. Just tested it on a two week trip and works even better than expected.

I'll take some pictures if anyone is interested. Pricewise better too, the compressor units are much cheaper than a complete fridge and it's the same mechanics. this is the unit I bought, I found a used one..:

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99 ... ng-kit-box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also get a version with a freezing compartment instead of the flat unit:

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99 ... ooling-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Neil, although I wanted to keep the original look as well, I have to complement you on your work, very nice install, best one I've seen so far.

Would love to see some pics Rob.
Rob.

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

lhd wrote:
Dutchdude wrote:Works like a charm :D Looks completely stock. Flat element mounted in rear of fridge, compressor unit on top. It's a waeco Coldmachine cu 55. I've tried EVERYTHING to keep the original door, I even bought a waeco compressor fridge, but it is impossible to do. (waeco MDC50 compressor fridge, fits the original hole (42,5 cm wide) for sale now btw).

Would love to see some pics Rob.
Rob.

Me too! I wondered if doing this was possible after seeing the guy on here (ourwullie?) do the same thing to his bay's cooleer box :ok
Quit ad modum panis tosti

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

Pics and tutorial would be good lol :wink:
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

Dutchdude

Post by Dutchdude »

Some pictures:
Attachments
koelkast1 (Small).JPG
koelkast1 (Small).JPG (46.99 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
koelkast2 (Small).JPG
koelkast2 (Small).JPG (44.77 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
Thermostat goes in the original position as it was before. Added power switch, fuse holder and led for reading fault codes.
Thermostat goes in the original position as it was before. Added power switch, fuse holder and led for reading fault codes.
koelkast3 (Small).JPG (45.1 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
Last edited by Dutchdude on 23 May 2014, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Syncro Westy 16"
1990 Westy California
1990 Golf mark 2

Dutchdude

Post by Dutchdude »

and some more:
Attachments
koelkast4 (Small).JPG
koelkast4 (Small).JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
View trough front vent
View trough front vent
koelkast 5 (Small).JPG (40.47 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
View trough side vent
View trough side vent
koelkast6 (Small).JPG (36.4 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
1991 Syncro Westy 16"
1990 Westy California
1990 Golf mark 2

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

I really like that :ok
How did you mount the compressor? Does it work as well as you expected?
Quit ad modum panis tosti

Dutchdude

Post by Dutchdude »

The compressor unit can be mounted as far as 1.5 metres away. Logical place would be a cabinet to the right or left. Downside of this is loss of cabinet space and lack of ventilation in the cabinets. I mounted the compressor unit on top/behind the fridge. There are vents on the top and on the left side. Best spot in my opinion although it was a tight fit, but it worked.

The unit works exactly the same as a regular waeco compressor fridge. With the thermostat on max it will cool the entire box down to minus 18 degrees. I did not go for the freezer compartment version because I hardly use that and now there is more cooling space in the fridge itself.

Works very well, I can only recommend it.

Rob.
1991 Syncro Westy 16"
1990 Westy California
1990 Golf mark 2

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

This isn't in the same league as Neil and Jes's install or Rob's but is another way of doing things:

The aluminium angle at the side is what I had lying around as is the mesh at the bottom. I like the look because it matches the Waeco rather than trying to find something that matches the early westy brown.

Underneath the fridge is the Sterling which is why the aluminium mesh is there to allow for air flow:

Two 80amp batteries in the bottom of the wardrobe - we chose this because its an area that just gets cluttered up with junk otherwise. You can just see that the two battery boxes clip together.

Then lids on to keep everything insulated and strapped down. A wooden shelf will go over the top of these cut to fit the space. I'm going to do this with a cardboard template as its not a very regular shape.

Sterling remote control was needed as the unit is out of sight most of the time. It fitted quite well here:

Two really useful tools:

The cheap crimp tool that I got (about £20 delivered) - works a treat

and a step drill bit which helped make sure I could drill big enough holes to get grommets in where the HD cable runs through steel panels.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the look of it and I've learnt a bit through installing the Sterling. The whole set up works well and the Waeco is as good as everyone says. I'm struck by what Neil said about having the fridge lower down and being able to get it further back into the recess. When I've got a bit more time I might see how it works swapping the fridge and Sterling around.
Last edited by PetenAli on 24 May 2014, 16:46, edited 2 times in total.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

Looking good - I quite like the idea of having leisure batteries in bottom of the wardrobe - still lots of useable space :-)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Nice battery boxes. Source?

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

Lots of different sizes/colours on fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

silverbullet wrote:Nice battery boxes. Source?

What richlaz said ^^^^^^ - found them on fleabay. The ads often don't give dimensions so I had to phone to check.

These were the ones I got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leisure-Batte ... 51b677fb74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

Dutchdude

Post by Dutchdude »

I like the battery setup. Twin batteries is better, might copy you on that. How does the crimping tool work? squeeze in a vice or hit with a hammer?

With a fridge this nice I think your front panel deserves a repaint.
1991 Syncro Westy 16"
1990 Westy California
1990 Golf mark 2