Fitting bed in T25 High Top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

Fitting bed in T25 High Top

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Hi

We have just bought a 1987 t25 high top and are looking for some advice on fitting a bed up there. I have searched the forums but cant seem to find any relevant info.

I am just after advice on either doing a DIY job - I am fairly competent with the power tools and woodwork - or any links to diagrams/ kits for fitting a bed up there.

Ideally it will be for my two children to sleep up top whilst we will use the rock and roll bed (yet to be made)

Any advice welcome

Cheers
Cyrus
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Re: Fitting bed in T25 High Top

Post by Reimotim »

Welcome to the forum,

I fabricated a bed in our hitop using ply. I bought a 8x4 and cut 2ft off one end, then cut it length wise. This enabled me to get the two sections into the roof space. Once in they were screwed back together. The 2ft section then extends the bed section, but is removable when you want to stand up in it.

Have a go, see what happens!

Tim
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Cheers Tim

Did you use 3/4" ply?

Sounds like a plan, I haven't even seen the van yet :o so was unsure what sort of fitting is between the steel of the van and the grp of the roof!

Cant wait to get stuck in, the plan is to get the camper up to scratch so we can camp out at the marina where our cabin cruiser boat is moored (currently looks more like a floating sarcophagus as we haven't put any windows in it!)

Why oh why can't I make things easy for myself.

Thanks again for taking time to reply

Cyrus

Reimotim

Post by Reimotim »

I think it was 9mm ply, but I can'treally remember!
The van roof in mine was curved so I chocked up the outer edges to make a flat bed platform.

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Thanks again, I will post some pics on Friday night once we have picked up the van....the van is called Doris apparently and is staying that way!

Reimotim

Post by Reimotim »

:ok
thecyrusvirus wrote:Thanks again, I will post some pics on Friday night once we have picked up the van....the van is called Doris apparently and is staying that way!

Gladys & co.
80-90 Mem No: 15632

Post by Gladys & co. »

How did you get on with this? I’m at the point now of thinking about a bed up there for my son. He’s currently in a cab bed but up top would be ideal. The high top is open and just storage space at the moment. Any tips greatfully received!
Thanks!

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Post by RCN »

Hi Gladys & co
i have a carthgo hi-top with a bed up top we don't need or use. the back half stays flat and he front half folds in half when not in use.
pm me if interested and i'll send some pics
no idea what it's worth but wife and i were just talking about getting rid of it, but too nice to just trhow away
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.