Has anyone actually put a fully crash-tested bed in a T25?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Has anyone actually put a fully crash-tested bed in a T25?

Post by clift_d »

busbuddy wrote:the body will impart a huge downward force on the seat base in a collision, the belt restrains the body from forward movement meaning the force is then directed in the only other possible direction ...down, with the seat base being flat there is nothing to stop you breaking the seat base panel and submarining under the belt causing massive injuries. Thats why modern seats have anti-submarining pieces in the metal of the seat.
Anti submarining seats are fitted to stop passengers slipping under the seat belt in the event of a crash. This is a risk, not because the body imparts a huge downward force on the seat, but because there is a possibility in certain cases - for example with shorter passengers or where the seats are very reclined - that the passenger's centre of mass will slip under the restraining area of the belt. The manufacturers therefore provide a wedge shaped cushion at the front edge of the seat to prevent this slipping and to ensure that the seatbelt can work effectively to restrict the forward movement of the passenger. Again, probably not something your typical crash-tested rock-and-roll bed will incorporate.

busbuddy wrote:The limit of safety has to be the owners decision, you could fit a crash tested seat, full rear seat belts and then in a collision be decapitated by the rear locker that was fitted using 5mm self tappers :?
Exactly :ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

busbuddy wrote:
the body will impart a huge downward force on the seat base in a collision, the belt restrains the body from forward movement meaning the force is then directed in the only other possible direction ...down, with the seat base being flat there is nothing to stop you breaking the seat base panel and submarining under the belt causing massive injuries. Thats why modern seats have anti-submarining pieces in the metal of the seat.

Having said that...a lot of campers are running around with no seat belts so the benefit of a crash tested seat would be moot and that is probably why they are scarse

The limit of safety has to be the owners decision, you could fit a crash tested seat, full rear seat belts and then in a collision be decapitated by the rear locker that was fitted using 5mm self tappers :?

Reading this reminds me that I really don't need my bus to be able to cruise at more than 60 mph! My rear locker is still using the original rivets, but I wouldn't bank on them staying put in a crash. My main concern is the heavy chipwood door that barely stays closed, think i'll take that off.. :shock:
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Currently debating this with my wife: Has anyone seen or heard of any developments in this since?

I think I am in favour of a metal framed bed with ply covering. I suspect it will be weighty though! three point belts fitted to the van. I do have a van though so will need to add the extra plate for the belts.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

If it involves plywood, swerve it. TRW was the factory supplier iirc and the seats are all steel framed.
Remember that these vehicles were designed in the late 1970's...

Smosh

Post by Smosh »

Sorry, what's trw?
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

I've heard good things about these...........

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-campervan-seats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you google RIB camper beds, it'll bring up lots of info.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Smosh wrote:Sorry, what's trw?
http://www.trw.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you take the covers off a multivan rear bench you will find their label with the VW part number on the frame.

The Westfalia 2/3 R&R benches use ply but are very thick and high quality, along with massive steel hinge assemblies.

PS I got a malware warning from the kiravans webpage....:evil:

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Not read the entire thread but JAC campers do a 3/4 width M1 crash tested bed for a T25. Check out their website.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Smosh

Post by Smosh »

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still deliberating the options. I am feeling that crash treated is unnecessary though, as long as it is a well built bed. I may also be able to get my hands on a westfalia one. :)

LeeCarey
80-90 Mem No: 4966

Post by LeeCarey »

Hi Smosh, did you go through with this in the end? I contacted Kiravans and they no longer install so wondered if you considered this also. They do look like a good safety option with isofix integrated also.

Certainly not cheap

Thanks
Club 80-90 Member 4966
T25 Transporter 1984
2.0l CU Engine

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Last year i made a full width bed by taking apart a caravelle gl rear seat, the seat base is now the same as an original vw rock n roll seat bed, the back is similar except for the locking catches and release handle set up. I used an original late model full width bed as a reference and ordered the rock and roll mechanism from vw. Good strong metal framed bed.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Fun.
80-90 Mem No: 16678

Post by Fun. »

Thought I'd bring an update to this old thread and mention that I spoke to the folk at JAC and they said you probably won't be able to find a crash tested T25 seat but they did say they do one for a T25 and build it exactly the same way they do their M1 tested seats. I'm considering this for my van once she's had her external cosmetics done. https://www.jacconversionkits.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_
Water Cooled 1983 Petrol T25
She's had 21 previous owners, I'm no. 22
She's now named Daisy