Propex Heater

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

t3convert
80-90 Mem No: 16325

Re: Propex Heater

Post by t3convert »

to 937 carrera
I don't know exactly where the twin 10A block on the diagram is situated but with only the leisure battery connected I'm getting 12volts at the single strip connector of the red wires at the back of the Labcraft unit (see photo) and the thermostat red light comes on when I switch it on. If I remove fuse no 4 the red light on the thermostat goes out.
Attachments
Labcraft wiring.jpg
(141.95 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

t3convert

Post by t3convert »

to 9337 carrera
So presumably the fault lies in the wiring between the thermostat and the heater.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

That's good news and progress, so the thermostat is seeing 12V - otherwise the LED would not illuminate. You can put the Labcraft unit back in position again.

With the thermostat on maximum does anything happen when you switch the unit on. (you said not before, but that was before the leisure battery was reconnected)

Time to go back to the Propex manual linked to earlier, look at page 5.

The "4 core" wire is the one between the thermostat and the heater, two are for power to the thermostat, two are to the circuit board in the heater. Just do a quick physical check to make sure there is no damage.

This is where it gets a bit vague as I am unable to look at an installation at the moment, I suspect that that connector block may be for the heater, so on that assumption.......

One of them (black) should be an earth, so do a continuity check to make sure that is connected to earth. Then you need to check the other one for 12V. If there is no voltage, then follow the cable back to the battery, in particular looking for a blown fuse.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Forget about the vague bit, watch these videos, that second connector block isn't for the heater AFAIK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VYUn6PLuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKaJKlR9As

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Post by steveo9007 »

You might want to check this video out, he has his wires separated, on your strip connector pic, it looks like you have wires connected wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VYUn6PLuY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

t3convert wrote:to 937 carrera
I don't know exactly where the twin 10A block on the diagram is situated but with only the leisure battery connected I'm getting 12volts at the single strip connector of the red wires at the back of the Labcraft unit (see photo) and the thermostat red light comes on when I switch it on. If I remove fuse no 4 the red light on the thermostat goes out.

The twin 10a connector will be behind your leisure panel next to the back of the fuse holders.

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

937carrera wrote:Forget about the vague bit, watch these videos, that second connector block isn't for the heater AFAIK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VYUn6PLuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKaJKlR9As

Sorry m8, i didn't mean to step on your toes, i posted the same video as you..lol....did you notice the 4 way connector block he had and wired into..

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

No worries, we're working on this together to help him & I have steel toecaps :rofl

We can't be too far away from diagnosis now

Key is if the fan is operating

After that it's making sure all 4 of the wires have continuity across the connector

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

steveo9007 wrote:
Sorry m8, i didn't mean to step on your toes, i posted the same video as you..lol....did you notice the 4 way connector block he had and wired into..

No I didn't, but the presence of the disconnected purple and orange wires tells me that whoever wired this up has not followed the instructions.

Well spotted, the OP just needs to replicate the wiring on page 5 of the manual or as in the video and I think it will work.

:ok

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

yep indeed... :ok hopefully he has the same wiring and its pretty much job done once its wired up correctly, i have never liked wires not going anywhere as it would put doubt in my mind and i would be wondering where they should go and not just left disconnected. :run

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

At the moment, I never cease to be amazed by the wiring improvements some owners or their garages make.

One guy had an engine that would not turn off, chop away the flash push button start and correct wiring errors elsewhere and all is good again.

On this one, I didn't anticiapte that when an installation has 4 wires someone thinks a 2 connector block is sufficient :roll:

The OP was going to send the unit off to the manufacturer for a service. He would have paid for the service and it still wouldn't have worked, queue unneccesary argument with the manufacturer :)

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

937carrera wrote:At the moment, I never cease to be amazed by the wiring improvements some owners or their garages make.

One guy had an engine that would not turn off, chop away the flash push button start and correct wiring errors elsewhere and all is good again.

On this one, I didn't anticiapte that when an installation has 4 wires someone thinks a 2 connector block is sufficient :roll:

The OP was going to send the unit off to the manufacturer for a service. He would have paid for the service and it still wouldn't have worked, queue unneccesary argument with the manufacturer :)

yep totally agree, and its great that this forum exist for this exact case, as i bet there are hundreds of pounds saved by users like yourself with the knowledge that pass on to other users in order to get stuff corrected and working. :ok

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

i have literally pulled out about 10 metres of unnecessary wiring from my van when i done my upgrade to the leisure panel, most of it was stuffed behind the old panel and i was like What the blithering heck, why not remove it....obviously i metered wires and made sure they were not connected to anything but it was beggars belief what i pulled out..even on a light unit i replaced there was 4 wires connected to a 5amp block and 2 wires just ran to one of the cupboards and was just laying there to be shorted out..removed that aswell. :mrgreen:

t3convert

Post by t3convert »

to 937 carrera
Sorry to be continually keeping you waiting. I've had other unrelated stuff to attend to again. I re-checked the wires at the heater end with the thermostat on full and the leisure battery connected up but still no juice is coming through. So I thought the next port of call would be the wires at the back of the thermostat but I couldn't get the casing off. I looked in the Propex manual as you suggested (page 5/6) but it shows a slightly different casing and mentions screws in the lid with caps covering them - none of which I could find. The casing I've got is the one in the photos I posted on June 10th. Have you any idea how it comes off?

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

You need to read a bit further on in the thread, especially on this page, forget about the thermostat for the moment, that seems to be OK.

The issue is that there are 4 wires that need to go between the thermostat and the heater unit, plus the 12v feed /earth to battery spliced in.

Go to the 2 pin connector block, release all 4 cables then use a 4 way connector block to joing together the wires between the thermostat and the heater unit. (don't let the red one go to earth)

You can refer to page 5 of the manual as well, but the best for you will probably be to watch the video :wink:

You will need to find the matching pair of purple and orange wires