Floor hole for table leg

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Floor hole for table leg

Post by pondering »

My van has a rectangular table in the 'living area' supported on a single stem secured in a hole in the floor. I'm in the process of laying a vinyl/rubber tile floor and was pondering 'doing away' with the hole fixing (I do seem to trip up it often !) and the table, as I find it too big/not well located. I'm thinking I'd find a collapsible table of more use inside (can move it where I want it) and also be able to take it outside !

Has anyone 'done away' with the hole and if so, how did you fill it to provide a level surface inside and prevent water ingress from underneath ? Or ideas and thoughts, for and against, appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Re: Floor hole for table leg

Post by bat »

Had it welded along with all the other holes in the floor.

ground flat and primed now.
I have a tripod lege stand for the table as it tends to be used outside more than in.

Regards Gary
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

We have the sequoia system, it has a single leg like the one you had, but without cutting a hole.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

When I made my interior, I bought some quick-hinges and my table is hinged at my worktop and uses a simple kitchen worktop leg, cut down to size. No need for a hole at all. The very idea seems absurd to me. :shock: Even if some halfwit did kick the leg hard, the worst that would happen is the board gets damaged - cheap enough to replace. Besides, that hole attracts fluff and grit like a builders belly button.

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by pondering »

Thanks all; looks good CovKid. The through the floor hole doesn't seem to have been a well thought out mod in the original conversion ! Sadly I've been told that welding isn't an option without removing all the floor etc., because of the heat generated; so that's a no go. An aluminum 'patch' affixed from underneath into ideally the same screw holes and then sealed, has been suggested, which sounds hopeful. Any recommendations for a sealer to use in this context ?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Did away with the hole years ago. Metal patch and pop rivets. Any sealant will do. De-rust and paint before sealing
We use a Fiamma tripod base for the table, inside or out.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG