Adding underfloor water tank

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

techbod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Adding underfloor water tank

Post by techbod »

A change in family circumstances means I have got to try and eke every last bit of space in the van to accommodate an extra (small) person and their clothing, gear etc. The easiest place for me to gain some space is remove the fresh water tank from under the sink and fit an under floor tank. (I don't have space for an under seat tank).

Has anyone got any pictures of a similar installation, recommendations for an after market tank and location advice.

Van is an 89 Bilbo Marlfield 1.9DG if that makes any difference.
Many thanks

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Re: Adding underfloor water tank

Post by Bowton Lad »

Take a look at the C.A.K. Tanks website. caktanks.co.uk
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
As has been said look at CAK Tanks.
My Autosleeper has the tank under the sliding door.
It is a question of where there is space and getting a tank to fit. I do not travel with a tankful of water, just enough for a cup of tea etc Depending on your conversion you probably have more weight on the off side already so the nearside might be the best position.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

techbod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by techbod »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
That's a good point about weight distribution. Although the layout in my van is halfway to a weekender (full width bed, no run of cupboards down the offside apart from the cooker/sink unit) it would be nice to help spread out the weight if possible.

Space under either side is the same so its a case of choosing a tank and working out the plumbing.

How much water tank have you got hanging below the chassis rail? My van measures about 10cm from the underside of the floor to the bottom of the chassis rail which would make for a pretty slim tank if I try and keep it so it doesn't hang below the rail. Anything over 18cm deep or so will hang lower than anything else around it (until you get to the engine/silencer etc). Something in between would seem would be the best compromise.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I thought you might be interested in the arrangement that AutoSleeper used on their conversions. Filler hole is on the front wing, similar to the fuel filler position.

1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
937carrera wrote:I thought you might be interested in the arrangement that AutoSleeper used on their conversions. Filler hole is on the front wing, similar to the

Yep that's mine as well.
PS to my earlier comments CAK tanks will make, to order, special shaped tanks so you can have the tank wherever.
I think the Autosleeper one is 8 gallons. The only risk to an underslung tank is the danger of freezing up when winter camping. Did think about wrapping mine in insulation but never got round to it.
In winter I never put more than a couple of gallons in so as to allow for expansion if it does freeze and we keep a couple of pints 'inboard'
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure