Andreas-springs: Third round

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AndreasLidl

Andreas-springs: Third round

Post by AndreasLidl »

Hello,
the first and second run of "Andreas-springs" are ready-made and shipped some months ago, so I want to present a third round. (Some syncronauts asked for.)

I summarized the technical specifications, that I have written in the german forum.
Some more informations you will find here:

Andreas-springs: 2. round

Andreasfedern hinten: Habe sie eingebaut

Andreasfedern vorne: Projekt fertig

Andreasfedern: Erfahrungsberichte

Andreasfedern 2. Runde

I am sorry for my bad English, I hope, you will understand it!

Background:

After over 2 years I had looked after with great vigor to the Trail Master Project and had auditioned numerous times in person at the company Trailmaster, I must admit now that I have almost no hope that this will find a good result.
The already completed Trailmaster springs of the first (light) series are very suitable for light Syncros.
But my car has a daily weight of 2.5 tonnes, with traveling abroad reached quickly once a little over 3 tons.
Even with the 2.5 tonnes, the progressive (close) turns of the Trailmaster springs are constantly "on block" and thus have no more spring action. I had indeed installed temporarily, but could not be permanent.
The same problem exists in the Seikel-springs that were originally designed for a slight rally Doka.
After having driven through the Gobi desert in Mongolia with my Seikel springs thousands of kilometers of rough desert tracks in 2009, the springs had completely gone in Sibiria at Lake Baikal.

New rear Springs:

I have now in collaboration with a very experienced spring manufacturer new springs designed to match my needs.
To give the project a name, I have named it Andreas-springs.

As one can easily see in the picture, Andreas spring is slightly longer, the wire is thicker and the progressive coils have more distance.
The following properties are realized with this design:
1) With a rear axle load of 1500 kg (This is my "normal state"), the car has a height of 49.5 cm (Hub center - wheel box), without spacer washers, only with the standard 10mm rubber washer. (49.5 cm at 16-inch-wheel arches; at metal-sheet wheel arches at about 50.5 cm.)

The progressive turns have a distance of 6mm.

2) In a rear-axle-load of 1850 kg (This is my "travel weight"), the car has a height of 47.5 cm (Hub center - wheel arch) (47.5 cm at 16-inch-wheel arches; at metal-sheet wheel arches at about 48.5 cm). I have determined the measure, as I have tentatively loaded in a ballast load of 500 kg. The progressive coils have then a gap of 3 mm:

This means:
Even with the high "travel weight" are still working all Coils of a spring. There is no wasted travel by rigid spacer washers or "turns on block".
This is still a reasonably useful axial twist guaranteed!
Under heavy compression, for example on a bumpy track, then put on the tight turns, and the spring is "harder".

Installation:
I used a hydraulic compressor. Without spring compressor you should disassemble the articulated shaft. Anyone who wants to avoid both: My condolences!

The production:

I could view a part of the production:

1) The wire is on a program-controlled winding machine (cold) rolled cylindrical.

2) The spring ends are drawn glowing inside.

3) The complete spring is heated to 800 degrees and hardend in oil bath

4) The spring is in the annealing furnace tempered for 1 hour at 390 degrees.

5) After cooling, the complete surface is shot blasted to the surface compaction.

6) coating the metal with special paint.

The driving experience:

Although Andreas spring is indeed a mammoth part actually, the car now seems to me a little "soft" because all turns to work and travel is longer.

Who will drop out?

All people whose car in the "normal state" significantly less than 2.5 tonnes of weight, won’t be happy with Andreas-springs.
Likewise, people who are hoping that this spring even a Rolls-Royce-driving comfort
The spring is for "Africa Through Querer".

Durability

My spring manufacturer is producing springs in limited-lot production since 40 years, from moped-springs to locomotive-springs he manufactures everything.
He knows what he's doing, and he promised me this springs are unbreakable.

Spring rate

I've charted some rear springs on a test bench. This are the spring rates I've determined: (All specifications are in kg/cm)

VW standart (2 points green): 85

The progressive effect of the thin wire ends does only affect if the load is about a few hundred kg, so it won't affect in normal states.

Trailmaster light: 80 / 105 (progressive turns on block at 750 kg)

With my rear axe load of about 1500kg the progressive turns have contact even if the car is standing.

Seikel: 80 / 120 (progressive turns on block at 450 kg)

The tight turns are permanently on block, and there are only about three turns left. They work as a linear spring with 120 kg/cm. The last turns of each end is coiled very narrow, because of this it don't work as a spring, but as a massive iron stick. But this is the situation with all the springs I've tested (except the VW standard).

Andreas-spring: 100 / 180 (progressive turns on block at 1200 kg)

Even with my "travel rear axle load" of about 1800 kg, the thight turns are slightly open, and the car is reasonably soft with a spring rate of 100kg/cm. All turns (but the end-turns) are working as a spring and the car has a suitable axial twist.
But it seems to me, that the car has a higher tendency to roll.
If the spring get compressed a little bit more (because of a pot-hole or a bumpy track), the progressive turns get in contact, so the springs become very strong and the car has still a usable clearance hight. Anyway the car has still a working spring system.
The other springs I tested will likely snap through, so they have no resilience left and the auto-body will be shacked to the core.
The Andreas springs preserve the auto-body in some way, because the car drives on soft springs with 100 kg/cm and a big spring range most of the time, and not on (heavy- Seikel-) 120 kg/cm with a quite small spring range.
However, affected by the win of clearance hight, the load of the articulated shafts is higher.

Andreas-springs with Trailmaster-(sport)-shock-absorbers rear

I did serveral test runs with new rear Trailmaster shock absobers. (So far I only used old standard shock absorbers (Boge)).
The TM's are working fine. I should have changed before. The higher tendency to roll I talked about is not a problem anymore.

Test runs:

To check the stability under load of the Andreas springs, I drove several rough laps on a frozen acre with the overweight of 3,2 tons!
As extra ballast I loaded 500 kg.

After the first few laps, I unloaded the car and could measure that the new spring subsided about 5 mm. This is a normal process in new springs.
After that I reloaded the car, and even after lots of more laps, there was no more subsiding,
The high-measurements at the beginning of this description are the data after the subsiding.
Therewith the rear-springs are ready-made.

New front-springs

Directly after the rear-spring-project, I started to develop new front springs.
Prototype without coating:

After a couple of prototypes, I installed the first "finished" batch of front-springs and did a test-run.
The length of the spring (high of the car) is correct, and the progressive (tight) turns are perfect.

The driving experience:

On street:
They feel comfortable (soft), because all turns are working.

On a frozen acre with adamant mole-hills:
The Springs start to cushion really soft, but when I drove through grooves or over bumps the progression starts to affect, the spring becomes harder and doesn't snap through.

spring rate:

I charted 4 different springs on a Test bench (all data in kg/cm)

VW standard: 80

Trailmaster: 75 / 105

Seikel: 130

Andreas-spring: 100 / 140

With a front axle load of 1100 kg (that's the normal state of my syncro) the car has a high of 49,5 cm (hub center - wheel box)
[49.5 cm at 16-inch-wheel arches; at metal-sheet wheel arches at about 50.5 cm]
with one 6 mm Trailmaster spacer-washer installed.
(I installed this, to prevent the articulated shaft to get in contact with the spring seat.)
The progressive turns have a gap of 6 mm.

With extra ballast of 200 kg, I have an axle load of 1300 kg, in this situation the progressive turns have a gap of 3 mm.

Lever arms at the lower traverse control arm:
At the front axle, the situation is, that the spring (+ shock absorber) is working on a lever-arm of about 61%, if you define the center of the tire-footprint as 100% lever arm.
The percentage quotation also depend a little bit on the wheel offset and if you have track extension plates installed or not. Also the small inclination of the shock absorber has in theory an influence on the percentage quotation. But this doesn't have much effect, so you can forget about that in this situation.

That means,
that with a front axle load of 1100 kg (tire-load 550 kg) each spring is loaded with about 900kg. (550kg : 61%)

Upper traverse control arm ("horseshoe"):

As you can see on the picture above, I installed the narrow turns lower and the wide turns upper.
After several tests with the Trailmaster spring seats (rotatable) I found a setup that makes a complete rebounding possible, without the upper traverse control arm touching the spring. (An instruction how to install the spring in this position is part of each shipment.)
Of course, you can install the Andreas-springs with all other shock absorbers!

Driving impression:

As I told above for the rear Andreas-spring, the car drives "softer" compared with the Seikel-springs, not until you cross heavy bumps or grooves the narrow turns get on block and the higher spring-rate prevents the car to subside to much.
Just to remind you: The Andreas-springs are only suitable for heavy-weight Syncros, light cars will be lifted too high!

Some pictures of my syncro, equipped with Andreas springs, and a weight of 2,6 tons.
(Size of tire: 31 x 10,5 / 15", this is approximate 265 / 70 x 16")

Hier ein Bild der möglichen Verschränkung:
A picture of the possible axial twist:

Der Bierkasten hat normalerweise eine Höhe von 30 cm, unter dem Gewicht hat er aber leicht nachgegeben.
Es sind also ca. 27 cm.
The beer box normaly has a height of 30 cm, but under the weight he gave way a little bit.
Really it is about 27 cm.

Die anderen 3 Räder stehen noch auf dem Boden.
The outher 3 wheels are standing on the ground.

Die Andreasfedern haben "auf ganzer Länge" Federwirkung! Es ist also kein Federweg verschenkt durch starre Höherlegungsscheiben.
The Andreas Springs are elastical on the complete length. No spring travel is lost by spacers.

Interested?

The price for one couple (2 pieces) of rear springs is: 260,-€

The price for one couple (2 pieces) of front springs is: 240,-€

Additionally the shipping costs:

To Germany: 7,-€ for each couple

To other EU-countries: 19€ for each couple

This is the mode of order:

Order-time limit: 1. January 2012

1) Du: Eine E-Mail an andreaslidl@web.de mit der Lieferadresse und der gewünschten Menge.
You: Email to andreaslidl@web.de, with delivery-adresse and the wanted quantity

2) Ich: Per E-Mail sende ich meine Kontodaten
I: Email with the account-number

3) Du: Geld überweisen
You: Transfer the money

4) Ich: Versand nach Ende der Bestellfrist. Lieferzeit dann: ca. 4 Wochen (Die werden ja dann erst angefertigt.)
I: Delivery after the end of order-time-limit: about 4 weeks later

I'm not a professional dealer or another type of commercial supplier, but this is a private sale.
The springs don't have what we call in Germany “ABE” (this is a document that makes it possible to use the springs in public traffic legally), or any other accompanying documents.

Greetings Andreas

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Andreas-springs: Third round

Post by lloydy »

Ooo, I need to find some money, I shall have a look and hopefully email you shortly
Lloyd
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

I'm getting a loan out I need a set
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Thanks Andreas, for such a comprehensive description of the history, design, production and testing of your springs... your English is good fun to read, there's many nice words in there and it is all quite understandable, thanks :ok
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Hi Andreas,

Just looking to sell some stuff on Ebay then should be in a position to order a full set of front and rear springs by your deadline.

I've been talking to Mudlark on here about shock absorbers to compliment your springs. He says that Trailmasters are the best and ask your advice about exactly which ones.

My Syncro is a Westfalia 14"pop top with 15" rims.

Like Harrymann says - your descriptions are excellent.

Thanks,

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

Ollie
80-90 Mem No: 3225

Post by Ollie »

While we wait for his reply; Andreas reccomended me the following TM shocks for his springs:

rear:
052 070Tough (syncroservices)

front:
052 071

The above mentioned 052 070Tough provides ~2,5cm more travel (at wheel ~ +4cm), while another version of the same shock, the 052 070HD provides ~5cm more suspension travel ~ +7cm at wheel). I'm just wondering if the latter one would be a better choice to be 110% sure the shocks would not be topping out. On the other hand I guess the 052 070Tough would be better for a heavy van.

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Thanks Ollie - thats very helpful. I'll check out Syncro Services' site. It seems pretty pointless getting Andreas' top quality springs and then only having old standard shocks - especialy with limited travel. I will also talk to Dave at Futbus about a set of his rear shock extenders as well.

Syncronaut #171

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

Pete, I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing. I've got standard shocks, Futbus 30mm lift spacers installed all round and his rear shock extenders. Plus, I have full set of Andreas springs waiting in the wings. While I wait for the piggybank to replenish I'm pondering what combination of parts can be fitted, including looking at new shocks with and without extenders. I watch with interest.

I did drive Mark's van in Spain and was impressed with the Andreas spring and new shock combo he now has.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Hi Patrick. Mark said that you were impressed with his set up. Andreas springs definately seem the way to go. The question will be over choice of shock absorbers. Do you think yours is lighter than ours - or are they about the same?

I'm seeing Dave at Futbus next week so I'll get his views on it all as well.

Syncronaut #171

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Post by GoldSyncro »

Thanks Pete. Let me know what Dave thinks.

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Post by GoldSyncro »

What about these:

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php? ... parent_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

look awsome but Heim joint ends are not ideal for road or offroad use. with only a little wear they bang and cluck horribly.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

GoldSyncro wrote:What about these:

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php? ... parent_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And have you seen the price on them? To which you would have to add taxes, carriage, import duty etc etc :roll: :roll:

Syncronaut #171

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Well, they're obviously going to be expensive Pete :D

So Heim joints are simply what were always known as spherical rod ends or Rose joints to me , oh well we get used to that...

Maybe something of importance though, when spending this sort of dosh, is the Compression only adjustability if I'm right. With say, good Moto Cross bike forks and rear shocks, both bounce and rebound are adjustable, and the rebound for rough terrain is very much an important setting, for bikes at least.

...you can finally dial in your ride like never before. So what will it be? Soft like a marshmallow or on rails like a slot car?
and that def sounds like PR BS rather than any engineer speaking :idea

Fitment Note 2: The mono-tube design of these Fox shocks allows an additional 1" of suspension down travel without giving up any upward travel.

• Front: At full "droop" (wheel completely off the ground), you will notice that the upper ball joint portion of the suspension may come in contact with the spring. Other than the possibility of hearing a noise when your Syncro is completely airborne, this contact causes no issues whatsoever. A small amount of grinding on the suspension components to create clearance is possible, but it is NOT necessary.

• Rear: At full "droop" (wheel completely off the ground), the drive axles are subject to a more severe angle. This may cause noise to occur, especially from a worn-out CV joint. Again, this noise is of no consequence. For extreme off-roading, we recommend upgrading to the larger 108mm CV joints. See related items below.
==================================================================
Notwithstanding, would like to know any reports of anyone using a set over here
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

PetenAli wrote:The question will be over choice of shock absorbers. Do you think yours is lighter than ours - or are they about the same?
I'm not sure what mine weighs. If anyone fancies a rough comparison mine is a 16" with Westy poptop, 100l gas tank as well as petrol, mdf and ply custom camper interior, Bluebird full width R&R bed (their model from 2010 which has MDF not metal grid panels), 70l compressor fridge. I'd say similar to a Westy poptop having written all that down. Maybe we should have a Syncro event where we all pass over a weigh-bridge and share the results? :idea:
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG