Getting there!

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Getting there!

Postby lloydy » 13 Jun 2016, 15:55

It's been back a few times, I'm not going back there again. No legal avenues will be looked at at. Lesson learnt, obviously money back would be nice but I'm not expecting that.
He's turned out a lot of nice work that seems to have lasted well, just not with mine. Life is all about moving forward, I'll probably stop with the pics on this thread now don't want it all getting sh!tty. Plenty of good positive stuff will be happening with the van over the next year to keep me amused and entertained. Paint meh.. wish i had never booked it in.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby GoldSyncro » 14 Jun 2016, 13:33

Sounds like you've already fallen out if you're just choosing to walk away and not giving the guy the chance to sort it out. Surely it's within his best interest to sort the issue especially if he has a good reputation to protect. Just a suggestion but rather than the legal route does he belong to any trade association you could approach first?
GoldSyncro

80-90 Mem No: 15422

Postby lloydy » 14 Jun 2016, 15:28

The van has been back three times, all this work was started in Dec 2013! And it was back for the 3rd time late last year,since then rust came back through pretty quick. (within two months in places). I really just want to use the van as I've barely had it in those 3 years. I don't know why mine has ended up so poor, maybe his mind was elsewhere? I really don't know. Just like i don't know why i have a lump that has cracked and bleeding rust... :lol:

As I've said though, i don't really want this thread getting too negative.. i don't sit at home moping about it, life goes on and has more positives than negatives. The van takes us to amazing places so is still doing its main job.
maybe ill put the pics on a thread in the bodywork section instead of here.

On a happy note, passed the MOT today :D
lloydy

Postby lloydy » 20 Jul 2016, 19:12

Wow, over a month since an update... shocking.. So what is going on in my crazy old world?
Well I've done a fair bit of mileage in that month, over 2000 :shock: on arriving home after one journey i smelt the familiar smell of cv grease... and lo and behold it was the worst boot to change :roll: and my last original boot :cry:

New boot fitted and all is well.

My holiday is coming up, so we have been getting things together to be ready for that. We have replaced our cookset with a newer version. I do love how it all packs together.

As we are going to be in Spain and its going to be bloody hot, i want to use the rear heater core as a fan. The core always seems to stay hot, so I've had to disconnect the hoses and join them together, i now have a fan! :D I do need to replace the heater valve for the rear heater, that should then stop the core getting hot, unfortunately they are sold out everywhere for now.
Ive also ordered a rather nifty looking double fan for the front, will post up how that fairs..
lloydy

Postby PetenAli » 20 Jul 2016, 19:44

Have a good time in Spain Lloyd. We've just spent 5 weeks driving around Spain and Portugal and had a brilliant time. Did lots of mountains where temps averaged 30C as opposed to coasts where temps were 35C+. I have lots of pics and data so will put up some info in the next few days.

We went to and from Santander and stayed with Rob and Becky (GoldSyncro) at each end of the trip. We did just under 5k kilometers and met some great people and stayed in some great places. Spain alone is such a huge country.

Empathise with the CV boot problem. Just changed a rear boot that had only done just over 5k kilometers. The quality seems to be getting worse and worse. BW are out of their good ones. I guess its another factor that you have to live with if you own a Syncro that's a bit higher than standard.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171
PetenAli

80-90 Mem No: 8569

Postby axeman » 21 Jul 2016, 07:17

Lloyd
The 2 heater pipes should not be joined together as you have now created a bypass. Both or one of the pipes should be capped to stop flow i think that on my set the vavle allows you to compleatly stop the flow.

Neil
syncro doka 1.8 20v
axeman

80-90 Mem No: 6410

Postby DSM » 21 Jul 2016, 07:50

Hi Lloyd, you could try Alika over on The Samba for CV boots. Reportedly very good but unfortunately made in small batches.
DSM

80-90 Mem No: 1274

Postby lloydy » 21 Jul 2016, 09:48

PetenAli wrote:Have a good time in Spain Lloyd. We've just spent 5 weeks driving around Spain and Portugal and had a brilliant time. Did lots of mountains where temps averaged 30C as opposed to coasts where temps were 35C+. I have lots of pics and data so will put up some info in the next few days.

We went to and from Santander and stayed with Rob and Becky (GoldSyncro) at each end of the trip. We did just under 5k kilometers and met some great people and stayed in some great places. Spain alone is such a huge country.

Empathise with the CV boot problem. Just changed a rear boot that had only done just over 5k kilometers. The quality seems to be getting worse and worse. BW are out of their good ones. I guess its another factor that you have to live with if you own a Syncro that's a bit higher than standard.

Look forward to your pics :ok
lloydy

Postby lloydy » 21 Jul 2016, 09:51

axeman wrote:Lloyd
The 2 heater pipes should not be joined together as you have now created a bypass. Both or one of the pipes should be capped to stop flow i think that on my set the vavle allows you to compleatly stop the flow.

Neil

strange really as I had them linked together like this for most of last year with no issues.. But peer pressure is winning (a lot of people have said the same)and I will cap them off instead , probably tomorrow.

And after chatting to the Jo, we make just take the heater out to gain more storage for shoes ect.
lloydy

Postby japio » 21 Jul 2016, 09:54

You know there's no need for that don't you? :wink: :shady
Grts, Jaap
'88 Syncro Home-Built Camper AEB 1.8T
'85 Doka Project 4doors-etc. Subaru EZ30(R) H6
japio

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby lloydy » 21 Jul 2016, 09:56

DSM wrote:Hi Lloyd, you could try Alika over on The Samba for CV boots. Reportedly very good but unfortunately made in small batches.

Thanks, but seeing as I'm a 16" VW still sell the boots :D
lloydy

Postby lloydy » 21 Jul 2016, 09:56

japio wrote:You know there's no need for that don't you? :wink: :shady

No need for what?
lloydy

Postby japio » 21 Jul 2016, 10:02

For blocking them off. The cooling system is way oversized for a tdi anyways....
Grts, Jaap
'88 Syncro Home-Built Camper AEB 1.8T
'85 Doka Project 4doors-etc. Subaru EZ30(R) H6
japio

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby lloydy » 21 Jul 2016, 10:38

Ah gotcha, it will do no harm blocking them off though. And will stop them getting hot at least. As you say though, I've had them linked like that for a fair while with no issues
lloydy

Postby Titus A Duxass » 21 Jul 2016, 11:51

lloydy wrote:
axeman wrote:Lloyd

Neil

strange really as I had them linked together like this for most of last year with no issues.. But peer pressure is winning (a lot of people have said the same)and I will cap them off instead , probably tomorrow.

And after chatting to the Jo, we make just take the heater out to gain more storage for shoes ect.

I have had mine linked for the last 8 years and have driven in temps upto 48c with no issues.
Water is lazy it takes the easiest path - through the big pipes!
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l ADY
VW T3 Großsraum Pritsche JX1,6TD
Titus A Duxass

80-90 Mem No: 4475

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro