Fed up with Your Syncro? Whats next?

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Fed up with Your Syncro? Whats next?

Postby oxford_rebel » 15 May 2017, 08:24

Nice to bump in to you at the scrap yard Jed. Looking forward to seeing Managon with the pod on the back.
Ian (with the grey Caravelle)
oxford_rebel

80-90 Mem No: 15706

Postby jed the spread » 15 May 2017, 15:41

oxford_rebel wrote:Nice to bump in to you at the scrap yard Jed. Looking forward to seeing Managon with the pod on the back.
Ian (with the grey Caravelle)

Ahh Ian.. Thanks for helping me lift the roof off. Always handy to bump into a fellow van owner just as you need a helping hand ;)

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1967

Postby clift_d » 17 May 2017, 18:51

This one on eBay is quite nicely done - 222512396289

1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby spherehopper » 17 May 2017, 19:50

clift_d wrote:This one on eBay is quite nicely done - 222512396289

With tyres at £800 a corner!
spherehopper

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby jed the spread » 19 May 2017, 18:45

Yeah I did see that Mog on Ebay. I do like them but the conversion looks really home made with that cow print fridge, the string tie backs and curtains. The catches on the cupboard doors also suggest it isn't put together that good but I guess that reflects in the price and it could well be a good buy.

Truck tyres are really expensive, especially the 365/80R20 Michelin XZL but you can get a set of 5 from Vrakkiing with 80% life on them for £1600. Still loads of money for tyres but they should last a very long time.

I got the production date for the habitation box and the panels are being manufactured on week 30 so thirdish week in July so not to bad and it will give me some time to try and find a cheaper door than the £2000 option. There is still loads to be getting on with over here though with ordering in stuff and tracking down the best prices from suppliers. I started off going through RAL charts to work out a nice colour and headed down to B&Q to make full use of their tester pot paint mixing machine. Its only £2 for a tester pot and I was going to start with my first choice then go back for a few more later in the week when its stopped raining.

I was really surprised I nailed it first go! I don't want something to military looking but want it to blend in (if you can do that with a truck this big) and cant think that I would;d find something as nice as this colour. Because I have the roof chops now at least I can roller some paint onto something just as a tester.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Postby jed the spread » 25 May 2017, 19:27

Had some stuff turn up today.

Been a really busy week but I did manage to sit down for an hour and go through a couple of dealer portals to see if I could grab any bargains. I really need to be getting windows and the Seitz ones are going to have to do. I went for two sliders for the front table and seating area so they can be opened while driving along to get some air in the back if needed and the top hinged ones for the rear bedroom.

There was a clearance offer on the top hinged ones so I got those really cheap and figured I would just find out why they were clearance once they turned up. The front sliding ones were a good bit more but I don't want massive windows in the thing so am keeping them as small as I can get away with.
When they arrived I think the the Seitz are more than adequate, especially as they are so high up and I think the top hinged ones were on clearance because the inner screen is more of a flat roller blind rather than the concertina style one that the sliding window has.

They are pretty good though and the back of the flat blind one is foil backed too so I am pretty sure the insulation properties of it are up to it.

I grabbed a shower tray too so I can start laying out the bathroom area when the time comes and to make sure I don't need any weird fittings.

I also spotted a nice sink with a lid so figured that would add to some extra counter space when needed.

While I spotted the sink I figured I might as well get the cooker too as that meant I could start to build that unit and work out how its all going to go together. I actually ordered a Marine cooker that is fitted with a gimbal so when we are parked a bit on the pi$$ the cooker would be level. They sent the wrong one, but the one that did arrive has a nice glass lid that matches the sink and has the option for more work space when needed so I don't know if to keep this over the marine one now.

It has an oven and grill also, I only ever had 2 rings in a van before so this could be a nice addition for us.

I have been thinking about the various ways to heat water over the past few days so will no doubt start collecting stuff for that as well as heating stuff. If I do a bit every week until the truck is ready to bring back then there won't be a panic to order a big bunch of stuff and the time to sort it when stuff is wrong or I change my mind..

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Postby jed the spread » 01 Jun 2017, 18:23

Well despite one of the guys on the Overland truck forum giving me a very decent price on a NOS cara van door that could have worked I decided to get one made. I specced one that has a handle on the bottom 300mm up so it can be opened from the outside and a handle half way up on the inside for obvious reasons. The inside will have a rod lock so that means a bolt through the top and bottom. The outside will be aluminium and the inside white with a composite filling. It is a little bit thinner than the box walls but not much. I signed the spec sheet last week some time and haven't heard so I guess no news is good news.
I want the main big steps (I will have one of those pull out one that you get under truck trailer load beds for car park usage) to hang on the back of the door so when you open it you can just un hook it and slot it into some rail. was going to have the door opening so it wouldn't block the window where the table is up front then realised If I had an awning up on the back half I wouldn't be able to swing the door round so I swapped the hinge side. I have loads of 2500mm awnings to hand looks like that size will fit perfectly on the side as luck would have it.

Not loads of pictures for this update but one thing that I did get a bit turned on with this week is the main (or lets give them a fancy name) base camp steps...

My partner Lou is quite small side and she has never actually seen the truck. Sure pictures are great but trying to explain to her how much taller Trucklife will be over Vanlife without putting the "pooh" up her is a slowly slowly process. Both her and our son Isaac (11) are pretty pumped about the whole build really but I cant help but think how knackering it will be to keep popping in and out with our a decent set of steps.

Anyway.. I randomly spotted a set of Army aluminium steps on Ebay last week so grabbed them even though I don't really need them just now. My thinking was that to find a set when I don't need them will cost loads so pressed the 'Buy It Now'.

I have to say I was pretty chuffed with the buy when they arrived. An evening drilling out the rivets on the steps then stripping the green paint from the steps, jet washing the gunk off, painting the treads black then riveting it all back together again was quick work. The demilitarising them was worth the effort and they turned out really good. At least now they can take a whack and you will not notice scratches in paintwork.

I will see how this custom built door turns out and update when it arrives. Oh and I also bagged a 24V Wabasto engine coolant heater from old Mercedes van drivers page on Facebook. It is in The Nederland's so just booking the UPS pick up now. I went for an older heater just because they are much less sensitive. it will be outside of the living area anyway so I am not that worried about the usual things you get with the hot air heaters mounted inside the living area. I have been using Eberspachers for years in various van conversions and he later ones pick up on the slightest of disturbance and register a fault. I will get this serviced and bench tested in plenty of time before it is needed.
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Postby irishkeet » 02 Jun 2017, 06:28

those steps came up lovely :ok
irishkeet

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby jed the spread » 11 Jul 2017, 15:03

The box was due to get started this week but Erik broke his wrist on holiday :shock:

Ahh well more time to gather parts while there is no massive rush to save a bit more on the build. This time seats... I bagged these rather nice Saab leather seats that should have the same seat rail as the drivers seat in the Managon. The double passenger bench seats that are in at the moment will be taken out and the other Saab seat will be fitted and the little middle seat that folds forward flat is to allow access to the crawl through and it can also be used as a map table when there are only two people travelling.

The middle seat is a brand new Discovery leather boot seat that only retail for £50 on Ebay and looks to be perfect for the job! They really look like a matching set and will look better when the middle one gets worn a bit and the other two get a clean up.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Postby Samanthington » 19 Jul 2017, 17:08

Nice seats :ok

If you don't have a home yet for the double bench seat that's coming out, I would be very interested to help!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Samanthington

Postby R0B » 19 Jul 2017, 17:40

You want a bench seat out of a T3.Not sure the ones out of Jeds MAN will fit your van..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby Samanthington » 19 Jul 2017, 17:47

R0B wrote:You want a bench seat out of a T3.Not sure the ones out of Jeds MAN will fit your van..

Ah, thanks for clarifying...I thought Managon was a beefed up vanagon...oops...

:whistle :run
Samanthington

Postby M4tt_1 » 17 Aug 2017, 20:36

"...most people will probably take leave of their senses and go for the thoroughly crazy version, good for 555 horsepower and 4,900 foot-pounds of torque."

https://www.wired.com/story/nikola-elec ... -road-zero
1986, RHD 1.9 Syncro Autosleeper
M4tt_1

80-90 Mem No: 15107

Postby syncropatrick » 20 Aug 2017, 17:36

Spotted today at Mid Somerset Show, Shepton Mallet.
WANTED: A T25 double glazed plastic window, in any condition.
syncropatrick

80-90 Mem No: 5294

Postby jed the spread » 26 Aug 2017, 09:21

For the past couple of weeks the real work on the Managon has finally started.

The subframe that lifts off the chassis as it twists via some clever spring mounts has been built. The top part of it is moulded into the habitation box floor when the panels are made but it all came back from the coaters last week and the top part is with the panel makers now. The panels should be ready in a week or twos time and then the panels will be stuck together and the truck will them be united with it's burden.

While that has been going on Ian dropped off an LT single cab roof chop when he was on one of his parts drop off and pick up tours of the UK. This allowed me to get those two hightop chops I grabbed earlier from a scrap yard in Oxford mated together to make the worlds first VW LT single cab high top!

The back bit it miles to long. I did this so when I know exactly the distance from the back of the cab to the front of the habitation box, I can either cut that and get a seal to go against the habitation box or so I can blank the end off very near where the two parts would meet. I haven't decided if to do a full hight walk through hatch year or an access hatch from the cab into the hightop from inside the cab. The hightop roof should help with aerodynamics up to the top of the camper box but most importantly It will give a large storage area. I don't want anything hanging off the outside of this truck.

I have also made a start on the interior. Mainly the kitchen unit just to get familiar with the stuff I am using to make the rest of the interior. I am going as light weight as I possibly can so it will be Aluminium with 3mm aluminium composite board. This stuff is super light weight.

I also had a bigger entry door made than the size I was originally going to go for. Like I said I don't want stuff hanging off this truck all over the place so after a bit of thinking I decided to hang the aluminium entry steps upside down on the back of the door. This will double up as a place to keep wet boots and outdoor gear. I wanted this door hard to get into so fitted a 3 point locking system just to give it a bit more of a chance.

Again the door is aluminium with solid insulation sandwiched in and a wooden strip where the hanging brackets for the steps will sit.

I think thats it for now but things should be a bit faster moving from now on as things go into full swing.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro