Our syncro Caravelle

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Picking up my first syncro tomorrow!

Postby silverbullet » 25 Apr 2010, 18:03

Sneaked into work on Sat morning for a couple of hours (between running kids around) to straighten the engine bars and weld up the cracks that I found :shock:
Took the opportunity to fully seam-weld the end brackets too. SDP certainly had a tight budget when they made these :roll: Well worth doing if you've got yours off...
Got them straight to within 3mm :D and the same amount of twist :ok
Engine bar straightening.jpg
Engine bar straightening.jpg (51.77 KiB) Viewed 6411 times

Got some more strengthening mods for these in mind too...
Last edited by silverbullet on 28 Apr 2010, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Syncro G » 25 Apr 2010, 18:08

Isn't it possable to push the floor of the van up if you really hit them hard? Might not be worth beafing them up too much as they are easyer to repair than what they bolt to, unless you re-engineer that too.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van
Syncro G

80-90 Mem No: 3988

Postby axeman » 25 Apr 2010, 19:28

Syncro G wrote:Isn't it possable to push the floor of the van up if you really hit them hard? Might not be worth beafing them up too much as they are easyer to repair than what they bolt to, unless you re-engineer that too.

would have to agree with that you will only be moving the stress to anouther point, ie where they bolt on. but incresing the welds is probobly worth doing.

what did you use to straighten them? as both of mine are bent and it is something that i would like to do at some point.

neil
syncro doka 1.8 20v
axeman

80-90 Mem No: 6410

Postby silverbullet » 25 Apr 2010, 22:34

Here's my repairs so far:
engine bars 1.jpg
engine bars 1.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

engine bars 2.jpg
engine bars 2.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

engine bars 3.jpg
engine bars 3.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

The most alarming bit of damage was the tearing that was starting to occur at the end mounts having straightened out the overall bow along the length. The problem is that (on the petrol engine) bars is that the rectangular tubes lay flat, not upright, so they are less stiff than the propshaft rails which are also bigger. They have also been partly "caved in" on the underside, at the back end near the oil filter guard.

Suggested mods
1. Drill through the bars top to bottom at regular intervals and weld in vertical stays (like steam boiler stays) to help prevent crushing, say 8mm bar every 100mm. Very small weight penalty, modest strength gains, no stiffer along the length though.

2. An intermediate support. Not ideal and harder to engineer, but my bars had been pushed onto the exhaust and the engine block anyway, judging by the rusty witness and dent on the large cross-plate. Needs careful design.

3. Weld a length of approx 35 x 35 x 4 angle to the base of each rail, corner downwards so the base of each rail is now a vee. Much stiffer along the length, slight weight penalty but only a few kg, much less likely to get caved in, lose ~20mm ground clearance. Would run easier over obstacles too.

Syncro G wrote:Isn't it possable to push the floor of the van up if you really hit them hard? Might not be worth beafing them up too much as they are easyer to repair than what they bolt to, unless you re-engineer that too.

I quite agree, the load has to go somewhere. They bolt onto the engine bars at the back, after all don't they?!

PS I straightened them cold using our fly press at work, wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way. Nice and controlled, squeeze, squeeze, check for straightness etc. Forget trying to do this work out of a vice. It's a non-starter. Happy to do this work for anyone for beer money :D
Last edited by silverbullet on 26 Apr 2010, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby axeman » 25 Apr 2010, 22:58

looks like good work, so how thirsty are you then :D
read earlyer that you are planing on galving this lot who do you use? medway are very good but they are about an hour away from me so about an hour and a half from you,

neil
syncro doka 1.8 20v
axeman

80-90 Mem No: 6410

Postby silverbullet » 26 Apr 2010, 08:25

Thanks Neil. My welding is passable but I get the pi55 taken by the commercial fabricator we use for "proper" work! I'd have to take my galv to him and on to his supplier (not ideal) so could you post up Medway's details here for everyone? I get down to Rye every Friday afternoon so that's pretty close.
If anyone's bars need a bit of tweaking and welding up the same as mine, I'll do it on a Saturday so @ mates rate, allow 2 hours max...
£30 all in with a free cuppa but you have to make it :lol:
Just put a wire brush over them first so they're free of mud and scale, thanks :wink: and dry :roll:
pm if you're interested
Last edited by silverbullet on 27 Apr 2010, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 26 Apr 2010, 18:50

While having a little poke about under the velle (to check that those bars are going to fit ok - and they are) something told me to have a look around up front.
What's wrong here?
What no anti roll bar.jpg
What no anti roll bar.jpg (61.63 KiB) Viewed 6485 times

OK I gave it away with the file name...So where's it gone then? I can't believe that the previous owner took it off, he didn't seem the hard core greenlaning type who would need the extra articulation up front.
To the previous keepers before him - Care to explain yourself? :lol: Anything else missing?
I know that it was there, not too long before I bought it, as there's a clean-ish "shadow" from where the mounting brackets were.
I'm not naming names, that would be indiscreet :wink: just seems a funny thing to remove...

silverbullet
Trader

Postby orcecaveman » 26 Apr 2010, 20:39

Snapped drop link? Took it off for the MOT?
orcecaveman

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby silverbullet » 26 Apr 2010, 20:50

Maybe...wish I'd noticed when I bought the thing :oops:
I can make the drop links from a pattern if I need to, not sure if they're NLA or megabucks. H/D Brackets I could do too. Need a bar...need a drink :(

silverbullet
Trader

Postby toomanytoys » 26 Apr 2010, 21:24

Drop links available from Brickwerks :wink:

How bent were the engine bars and the prop protectors? as to bend them does take a bit.. some rough offroading or being jacked up on them...
http://www.t3volution.com- T3volution - Transporter upgrade and enhancement facility
toomanytoys
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 41

Postby Simon Baxter » 26 Apr 2010, 21:35

Van will be 100% more useful off road without the ARB.
Bit weird on road though.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Postby silverbullet » 26 Apr 2010, 21:54

The engine bars were missing - got some from syncrospares so a bit "lucky dip". They had about 20mm bow on the O/S, about 8mm N/S. Not badly gouged, Good paint apart from the bottom :lol:
Prop rails are only very slightly wavy, probably less than 3mm when looking along the length.
I thought that it drove really well when I bought it. That's what really sold it. Sweet gearbox too, in fact the best gearshift of any I've driven (or got...) So I guess I won't miss the ARB, once it's on the road :roll: or off it :ok

silverbullet
Trader

Postby silverbullet » 27 Apr 2010, 08:25

Got a message from MG - he checked some old pictures from when he first bought C767 from the nursing home - it didn't have an antiroll bar fitted back then :shock:
So it must have been removed early on in it's life for some reason :?
There's definitely a mounting witness, you can seee it in the photo...
Ahem! Mr Nice! Did you fit one and then remove it again?

silverbullet
Trader

Postby jed the spread » 27 Apr 2010, 09:54

it is a twin slider though :lol: I very nearly bought this van about eight months ago, to be fair the engine ran sweet. Unfortunatly the 1.9 petrol engine was never going to stay anyway as I was going to put the carbs on a 2.1 block and pop my LPG kit on to help get rid of some of the problematic water getting to the electrics that I have been effectet by with the 2.1 dj doka. We couldn't agree on a price as I spotted loads of stuff missing/seased/rumbleing/clicking, also the mud tyres and t4 rims that were on it didn't have the same tyre depth etc. I wasn't to impressed with the rear panel that had been newly weilded in and paint match :lol: also the amount of surface corosion on the front suspension just didn't feel right to me.

I think I offered £2200 for it because at the time but the seller would take £2800 for it without all the flashy "pooh" on it at the time. In the end I had to walk away and luckly for me the westy syncro turned up a week later for £1600 and although I have spent quote a bit on it I would have never got a van anywhere near as good as the one I have now if I had spent the same money on that van. It's only time and money fella, get out laneing and you will fall in love and never go near your other vans.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More
jed the spread
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1967

Postby silverbullet » 27 Apr 2010, 11:26

jed the spread wrote:it is a twin slider though :lol: I wasn't to impressed with the rear panel that had been newly weilded in and paint match :lol:
Jed

Wish it had been left alone :roll: it'll get done (needs a sticker that says "work done by...") but it's solid and RHD :D
jed the spread wrote: It's only time and money fella, get out laneing and you will fall in love and never go near your other vans.
Jed

I need something quicker for tarmac duties, that's where the 2.6 comes in :wink: and the Microbru is a pure engineer's tinkering toy :lol:

silverbullet
Trader

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro