diff locks servo stuck

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

robobobo
80-90 Mem No: 0

diff locks servo stuck

Post by robobobo »

Hi Syncro experts
I have been trying to fix my diff locks which have not been used for some years i think.

I have followed the trouble shooter to the point where all lines are hissing until i get to the servo on the transmission where the blue line is hissing but not the white or red. This is with the switch on, do i have to turn the switch off to get the others to hiss or am i missing something ?

Can anyone give me a little more detail on getting the servos off, i cant get the two long screws out on the rear due to the drive shafts. If i take the main nuts off the bracket can i start to pull it off or do i have to remove a pin first ?? A pin on the actuator shaft was mentioned but i dont really know what im looking at, does anyone have a more detailed pic of the servo and associated bits an bobs. Maybe theres an easy way to go about it that im not seeing.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers rob
get a bigger mallet/wallet ;-)
87 syncro velle GL, 2.1 Digijet, 120000 miles, Gold

robobobo

Re: diff locks servo stuck

Post by robobobo »

Ok i was lazy, finally crawled under again with the dash switch off and the opposite pipes were sucking, makes sense dont it. :)
So both pipes suckin on servo with the switch but no diff lock lockin. I have tried slow turns etc while driving so just need to get em off easy as poss and give em a fix. Any advice ??

Pete Nice

Post by Pete Nice »

If the pin is sticky you can pull the switch out above & squirt some oil in to free it up.

There are the 2 vac pipes that go to the actuator. It should hiss out of one, but if you pull the switch it should hiss from the other.

I have a similar problem & mine I am sure is not enough vacuum at the rear. I have just fitted a new actuator box & the pin feels free. My front one is working after fiddling with the switch feed pipes.

From what I can see (I did mine this afternoon), the blue pipe sucks in the off position & should go to the black part of the box & the white pipe is the switch feed & goes to the blue part of the box.

The pin is a roll pin that needs to be punched out. The drive shaft needs to be dropped off the gearbox to get the actuator box. It looks a simple job but is a pain.

robobobo

Post by robobobo »

Thanks pete nice, when you say to pull the switch out above & squirt some oil in to free it up. Is that on or near the actuator , i could only see the vacuum lines which appear to be sucking pretty good. Still i dont know how good is good but they will stick to the end of my finger without dropping off if that helps.

Thanks, though don't fancy dropping the drive shafts if i dont have too

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Take the whole blue actuator off by undoing the bolts and the cir-clip that holds it on. You will see the pin that should slide in and out that engages the difflock. This is the bit that needs oil on to free it. The reason Petes is stuck is because the actuator has been missing along with the rubber sleeve and the water had slightly rusted the pin in place so he will have to get inside to push it backwards and forwards to free it. If yours has the actuator still in place you will have a much better chance of freeing it.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Pete Nice

Post by Pete Nice »

My pin is free, it feels like a lack of vacuum.

I will have another look at mine later...

robobobo

Post by robobobo »

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the advice. wish the bracket was on the other way though, taking the drive shaft off to get it off is a f*****
I foresee scraped knuckles
cheers

Pete Nice

Post by Pete Nice »

I have just taken all mine off again & started from scratch. There is an inner & outer part of the pin. I thought mine was free but the inner part was stuck.

Drop the drive shaft off the gearbox & leave it hanging. You don't need to touch the other end.
Undo the 2x 7mm bolts that hold the blue box on. If you pull the black rubber sleve back you will see the roll pin.
Use a thin punch to push the roll pin out. (dont lose it)!
The blue box should now be free.
Remove the circlip on the base of the shaft.
Remove the 2 10mm headed bolts that hold the bracket on. (Note which side the space sits).
The bracket should fall off now.
Remove the switch (unplug it first) from the gearbox.

The next bit really is down to you how you fee the pin off. I worked the outer part of the pin until it freed up. Use plenty of WD40 & make sure it is nice & free.

Be careful putting it back together in the right order.

robobobo

Post by robobobo »

Thanks , i'll get on it tomo and clean em all out.
Great help
Cheers