Winter weather watch

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Winter weather watch

Postby silverbullet » 01 Feb 2019, 13:13

It doesnt take much for the UK to grind to a halt thanks to idiots in their rwd BWM's and Mercedes wheelspinning and sliding all over the place, standing on their brakes instead of using engine braking...

Small, light, fwd diesel performed faultlessly in the wet snow this morning, although I didnt have any steep hills to tackle.

I consider myself educated and enlightened, my prejudices cast aside.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Cobra88 » 01 Feb 2019, 15:23

Is that just cheap tools Prejudice ???? :lol:

80-90 Mem No: 16481
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby 937carrera » 01 Feb 2019, 15:27

silverbullet wrote:I consider myself educated and enlightened, my prejudices cast aside.

Is that in regard to French FWD cars ?

I had a little Clio 1.2 for a few years. It was cheap, surprisingly reliable, and it flew about in the snow when on skinny 145/80 winter tyres..... shocked a guy is a 4WD Scooby one day as I flew past him.

Modern cars are all elctronic, buttons for everything, no feeling for the driver and all left to the electronics, I look at them as being a phone on wheels, and that's how many people look at their cars. Electric handbrakes are my pet hate at the moment, especially when combined with auto boxes.

The local "authorities" have just put a warning out about current conditions. There's nothing except for a bit of residual frost on shaded side roads Pathetic :twisted:
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Postby Ralf85 » 01 Feb 2019, 17:45

The Met Office has provided lots of yellow snow warnings today. So, if you see any yellow snow, let them know.
:)
Ralf85

Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine
80-90 Mem No: 4418

Postby PeteandNikki » 01 Feb 2019, 18:12

Back in the early 80’s I had a 1/2 tonne Simca pick-up, loads of weight over the drive wheels, light at the back, and quite good clearance, FWD and it would go anywhere, always the vehicle to take out in any snow. We used to take it night-time rabbit shooting on a mates farm. Ridiculous steep hills and mud but it would fly around. Shame that it eventually disapppeared into a pile of rust. Never seen another one since.

On another note, here just South of Bristol we had bout 100-125mm last night. Really p#**”d off that my Doka syncro has been sorned for the last 12 months waiting for the time to do a full rebuild. Had to go out today and was grateful for the winter tyres and wheels on my RWD Ford transhite. Passed loads of FWD newish vehicles with their big fat low profile tyres, slipping, spinning and going practically nowhere. Amazing the difference those tyres make- usually with ‘normal’ tyres I need to be carefull on soft flat grass if it’s wet!
PeteandNikki

80-90 Mem No: 13990

Postby silverbullet » 01 Feb 2019, 19:31

I've never owned a French car ever, recollections of a college mates' awful Peugot 306D put me off (acres of hard plastic trim and a lot came off in your hand, it wasn't even an old car!) even though I still fancy a Citroen CX...

I suspect that skinny tyres and light kerb weight are part of the successful recipe for good performance in these conditions.

Having spoken to other Berlingo owners, they all say "yeah, they are brilliant and durable, the PSA HDI goes on for ever with only the scarcest amount of servicing"

The joy of a simple, frugal, basic modern (2005) vehicle is a revelation. Makes me wonder what I saw in the big, heavy, expensive, complicated Allroad...

Still itching to get the syncro back though!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Previous

Return to Syncro