Ball joints hang on to yours !

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Ball joints hang on to yours !

Postby jebiga41 » 08 Dec 2018, 14:49

A recent issue just cropped up for me regarding this. I changed my ball joints 2 weeks ago with febi ones (the local guys didn't have lemforder in stock) after pressing out my ones and pressing in with the correct circlip these I've been getting a knocking whilst investigating and removing my upright the lower ball joint fell out of the arm (late cast) I returned the ball joint today for a replacement when we measured it's OD it wass reading 48.1 a replacement one febi was 48.2 lemforder lists as 48.3 ! When they looked for a lemforder they found 1 availble in Europe. After a few chats with others it appears that lemforder a are not German produced but now made in China and that the original VW German produced Llemforders were actually 48.6 in outside diameter however these are NLA
F*** your Syncro Westie I've a horse outside !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
jebiga41
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Re: Ball joints hang on to yours !

Postby silverbullet » 08 Dec 2018, 17:37

Typical! I bought a pair if Lemforder top joints and they were also Chinese made :(

I wonder what quality the bottom ones were, fitted a few years ago now but obviously zero miles!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby syncroandy » 09 Dec 2018, 14:15

Sadly an increasingly common story of finding even reputable brands outsourcing production to China. I keep an eye on Ebay and occasionally have lucky finds of old stock parts from when they were still made in EU. The Lemforder 'Made in Germany' lower balljoints I have, measure to 48.3, FWIW.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
syncroandy
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 851

Postby silverbullet » 09 Dec 2018, 18:20

It shouldn't actually be a problem if quality is controlled and standards maintained, this requires a company representative on the ground and keeping a very close eye on all aspects of the operation.
But so often the samples provided before a contract is awarded do not resemble the finished good supplied in volume.
Its a cultural difference, as well as very sharp business practice.

'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby syncroandy » 09 Dec 2018, 19:02

silverbullet wrote:It shouldn't actually be a problem if quality is controlled and standards maintained,

trouble is they never are. With the work I do I've had a few chinese sourced components such as terminals though my hands and I now do all I can to avoid them and stick to EU manufactured parts. The main issues are materials quality and cheap designs. So for example use of 'brass' which is far higher in zinc than it should be leading to poor solderability and general weakness, and skimping, eg. using a grade of metal half as thick as it should be to form the terminals from. I've a box of reject parts I just won't use on customer jobs cos they don't meet the grade. In mechanical parts I've seen problems like warping drums, components rapidly rusting due to use of low-grade steel.

this requires a company representative on the ground and keeping a very close eye on all aspects of the operation.
But so often the samples provided before a contract is awarded do not resemble the finished good supplied in volume.
Its a cultural difference

yeah, like the dog-boiling, that alone is enough to make me want nowt to do with the place TBH.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
syncroandy
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 851

Postby R0B » 09 Dec 2018, 22:14

First the Chinese chocolate wheel bearings.Now its going to be nearly all components before long :-(
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby hightop ratty » 09 Dec 2018, 22:17

And what will the outcome be after Brexit - will the Europeans even want to trade with us :pimp
hightop ratty
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 2717

Postby jebiga41 » 10 Dec 2018, 11:24

Aidan had an old lemforder from 10 years ago which got damaged in the fitting process and it came out as 48.6 I have two from Simon here at the moment which have made it Germany on the box and the numbers on the boot match Aidan's haven't had a chance to measure them but they maybe like the originals
jebiga41
Trader

Postby jebiga41 » 10 Dec 2018, 11:44

silverbullet wrote:It shouldn't actually be a problem if quality is controlled and standards maintained, this requires a company representative on the ground and keeping a very close eye on all aspects of the operation.
Its a cultural difference, as well as very sharp business practice.

That is up to the parent company to do rigorous QC checks to be fair to Chinese goods when my dad worked in QC he tested a lot of Chinese parts for the company including destruction testing and materials analysis he said that the stuff they got was perfectly good and sometimes better than EU equivalents cheaper and also better packaged he would also take random sampling of batches to ensure it wasn't just the samples. There appears to be a certain complacency amongst parts manufacturers that they can supply inferior and not fit for purpose parts often which are critical for the safety of the vehicle and it's passangers with no cpmeback. Whether it be boots that crack and split after a few months to in this case a balljoint that literally falls out of an arm after a week!
jebiga41
Trader

Return to Syncro