Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

Postby DSM » 18 Jun 2018, 08:38

Just a bit of nerdy background. Thermal expansion of gasoline is 1% per 10K temperature rise so a freshly brimmed tank could expand by 1.5L or so. This did happen to my old Split which I brimmed one summers morning on the way to work only to have the site fire crew summon me mid morning to attend my leaking fuel tank in the car park. It was overflowing via the filler cap and even a small amount looks drastic. :oops:
DSM
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 02 Aug 2013, 08:53
Location: Hemel Hempstead
80-90 Mem No: 1274

Re: Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

Postby silverbullet » 18 Jun 2018, 08:49

Sounds like a good case for not filling past the first "click" of the pump?
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11706
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

Postby irishkeet » 19 Jun 2018, 15:04

DSM wrote:Just a bit of nerdy background. Thermal expansion of gasoline is 1% per 10K temperature rise so a freshly brimmed tank could expand by 1.5L or so. This did happen to my old Split which I brimmed one summers morning on the way to work only to have the site fire crew summon me mid morning to attend my leaking fuel tank in the car park. It was overflowing via the filler cap and even a small amount looks drastic. :oops:



silverbullet wrote:Sounds like a good case for not filling past the first "click" of the pump?



Thanks for the info, I will not be filling past the first click any more and we shall see what happens.

Does the seal on anyone else's cap come a few mm in from the edge as per this photo

Image
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

Postby silverbullet » 19 Jun 2018, 19:04

Looks familiar and about right to me. If its not split it wont be leaking, the cap is a fair bit bigger than the filler neck.
You can see the witness of where it seals.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
User avatar
silverbullet
Trader
 
Posts: 11706
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 09:51
Location: Surrey Syncronaut #156
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

Postby irishkeet » 19 Jun 2018, 20:09

silverbullet wrote:Looks familiar and about right to me. If its not split it wont be leaking, the cap is a fair bit bigger than the filler neck.
You can see the witness of where it seals.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk


:ok
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Fuel Filling (& leaking) question

Postby irishkeet » 22 May 2019, 07:56

I have now fixed the problem byt fitting a new seal.

On our Scotland trip, going across the Skye bridge I was flashed by the driver behind me, my first thought was FIRE! I pulled over and he told me that every time I did a left turn fuel was spilling out, I had just filled up a few miles away in Broadford. It was time to fix the original or upgrade. I know I can get a new fuel cap from bricky but I wanted to keep the cap with the key cover so I stripped it down to take a better look.

Image

Looking at the photo below the original seal does not reach the edge of the cap and its gone a bit hard and I imaging its probably shrunk over the years.

Image

I couldn't find an original seal so I had a few made up, the internal diameter is spot on and the outer diameter is a little bigger but a nice fit to the edge of the cap. I also went for 3mm thickness (the original is 2mm) and now its a nice snug fit.

Image
Image
Image
Image


I filled up the other day and I've done a lot of left hand turns and no more leaking :mrgreen: time will tell if the new seal lasts as long as the old one but I have a few replacements if need be.
User avatar
irishkeet
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: 30 Nov 2005, 13:26
Location: Cotton | Suffolk
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Previous

Return to Syncro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Syncrobaz and 18 guests