How to tell?

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

How to tell?

Postby Bobreoc » 26 May 2018, 12:30

Sorry a novice question.

I’m off to view a syncro tonight, I’ve wanted one for years. Question how do I tell it’s a proper syncro, for example would there be vans out there that have been turned into syncro’s?
Is there a way to tell from the m-plate or chassis number? Any help with this would be great, don’t want to buy a Lemon.

And apart from the normal t3 things to watch out for is there anything else to look out for with a syncro?

Thank you
Bobreoc

80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: How to tell?

Postby silverbullet » 26 May 2018, 22:13

The VIN number on the commission plate should have a G (for Graz, Austria, where all the series prodiction syncros were built) as the second letter in the middle, immediately before the six digit number, the letter before it is the year code
e.g.
WVWZZZ25ZJG123456 would be approx an 1988 model year (J code) full body van or Caravelle (25) series number 123456

(pre-production syncros can have FG serial numbers, on a B plate in the UK but usually the earliest you will find will be GG on a C plate)

Make sure that the VIN matches the number stamped on the rear vertical face of the rhs front chassis outrigger/jacking point!

Its a lot of work to convert to syncro, forward chassis legs under the cab have to altered for one thing.
If the prop has been removed underneath, the VC is probably goosed (no drive or gone tight) so use that as leverage.
Make sure all the underbody protection is present, especially on diesels because there are early and late engine belly plates and they arent interchangeable.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby silverbullet » 27 May 2018, 10:06

So how did the night-time syncro viewing go?

Where in the world are you, by the way?

'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Bobreoc » 28 May 2018, 05:14

silverbullet wrote:So how did the night-time syncro viewing go?

Where in the world are you, by the way?

Thank you for the help.

It came In useful, the viewing went well. Mechanically the bus is in good condition. The body work requires work but that’s expected from a uk bus.
I’m in Redditch and I bought the bus from Cardiff. I believe the bus might be known as it has some sycronauts stickers in the pack.

Thanks again for the help.

Rob
Bobreoc

80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Return to Syncro