Whatever happened to the Coney Farm meet?

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Whatever happened to the Coney Farm meet?

Postby Winchweight » 02 Apr 2018, 21:21

Depends on grandkids mate, but we are hopeful to be there. Might be that we don’t stay over, but hope to drive.
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Postby HarryMann » 03 Apr 2018, 07:56

silverbullet wrote:
toomanytoys wrote:On an aside to this new found enthusiasm about events and things to do.. :ok
A little reminder...

This years CamperJam charity syncro rides requires the drivers with vehicles to carry the passengers around our cracking little track in the woods..

We raised nearly £1800 last year.. carried around something like 600 odd people over 2 days...

Anyone serious about assisting with this should PM me..
Min requirements are:-
Passenger seats with seat belts.. pref as many as possible (if you have a single passenger seat its less efficient getting people through, but thats up to you..)
Driver must be very competent off road (its not a place to learn how off road) as you will be carrying passengers that have no off road experience, they need to feel safe and confident.
Its pretty tight in spots, so be prepared to accept that you might rub a tree or rock if you get it wrong.. (no sticky out parts on you van like side ladders etc)
No spoilers or low ground clearance items.. you are gonna bump and grind the underside here and there, so engine and prop bars are required...
Be prepared to be cleaning out crud from under your van for several weeks after the event if its wet..
Good tyres is a must and pref bigger than stock 185r14, as after a few laps ground clearance WILL become an issue..

Get in touch if you think you can help please..
I think we have enough marshals at present, but could do with a couple more drivers and vans..
Cheers
Si

Si, if my syncro was likely to be ready then I would happily step up as a driver with 4 passenger seats, but this year has slipped, not for want of trying.
I have M/Ts and I'll be on for 2019.
I think this matter needs its own topic really.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
... you're thinking of actually getting it dirty sometime in the future Ian? :)
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby bene » 03 Apr 2018, 08:00

Blimey! I go away for a few days and the thread explodes! ha! well done for starting it Ian.
Its a lot to read through, but all sounds good at first glance. Nice one!
Any one for cricket? what what?
bene

80-90 Mem No: 13093

Postby Tinium » 03 Apr 2018, 10:34

Benjdaben wrote:We are happy to have a Devon meet where everyone is welcome to camp free of charge at our farm but we really have no knowledge of the green lanes. I will have a word with Roger And Julia and see if we can scout some lanes that don’t include tank traps or require a snorkel haha. Is there interest in a Devon meet?

Would be interested in a Devon meet; I've done some of the Honiton/Ottery area lanes on past meets, but none of the Dartmoor area etc. Don't have a lot of spare time at the moment I'm afraid, but would be happy to recky some lanes, help out in some other way if poss as much as I can if there was sufficient interest to make it happen. Hopefully van back on the road within the next month, that'll help :)
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan
Tinium

80-90 Mem No: 12269

Postby Wedgies » 03 Apr 2018, 14:45

Hello,

we've had a lovely chat with Clive & Jenny and as a result David has volunteered to be Clerk of the Course again! :rollin

We will need some helpers with vehicle scrutineering (Aidan, Ian, Dai, a.n.others with mechanical /engineering /vehicle expertise....?) this proved useful last year and with help didn't take too long. We can also have a look at all the amazing suggestions and volunteers in this thread and try to tidy them into a schedule, so that we have everything in one place and then those that plan to come can see what's planned and what they fancy doing, or not as the case may be. We'll try to do this later.

Sharon - thinking of my stomach already and the legendary Saturday night spread - thoughts on a foodie theme??

Fiona, Julia, how about you and I and a.n.others bring a couple of gins each and do a 'tasting session'? (but not crazy, max of 6 to try - thinking of heads etc :lol: )

Also happy to talk through 1st Aid kit essentials (for the UK & Europe) as requirements would differ for a trip further afield.

Anyhoo... looks like we have plenty of plans afoot for Syncropendence.

Can't wait!

Kirsty
Wedgies

80-90 Mem No: 0
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby Bucketbabe » 03 Apr 2018, 14:48

JustSharon wrote:
Bucketbabe wrote:So, I wonder if there might be a window where we could help some partners or even older children to do some driving? From previous meets I have met a few that are reticent of driving the family syncro, that seems a shame. Especially if they are nervous but would really like to try. Of course, I do understand this demands an investment of time from people patiently sitting in with and instructing them.
Also.....the main driver needs to not mind their partner "having a bash"!

Sitting in with partners is no problem, I have done this on many occasions (as I know plenty of other skilled drivers have), even if it is for a brief 30 min jolly on some gentle slopes. There are plenty of areas at SP to give it a go.

There is one main issue - (Apart from being signed on as a driver) and this is to comply with insurance and regulations. Competency. All drivers must be competent drivers and the vehicles they are driving must be suitable for the terrain. This is where I perceive a problem. Older children - whilst we encourage our off-spring to partake in our jaunts they must be competent. Therefore, are able to drive a vehicle accordingly in addition to observing the terrain

Can said parents/guardians of children (pre 18) honestly state that.

Excellent point Sharon, I didn't think that through :oops:
However, busy as the weekend looks like becoming, hopefully there'll still be time for the traditional Friday night gin sharing?
take the road less travelled
Bucketbabe

80-90 Mem No: 12616

Postby JustSharon » 03 Apr 2018, 15:40

Wedgies wrote:Sharon - thinking of my stomach already and the legendary Saturday night spread - thoughts on a foodie theme??

Kirsty

Musing over previous food themes atm, mind you I'm still thinking about tonight's food theme!!

I'll give it some thought and post up, probs a bit nearer to the time.
It's all the little moments in life that make it a big adventure.

1989 AFN TDI Syncro
JustSharon

80-90 Mem No: 3428

Postby R0B » 03 Apr 2018, 15:44

Its great to see something being organised through the forum again.Talk about being resurrected at Easter. :)
:ok
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby silverbullet » 03 Apr 2018, 16:04

HarryMann wrote: you're thinking of actually getting it dirty sometime in the future Ian? :)

Dirty yes, but not gettin scraped and dented thanks ;)
Being built to ride out rough terrain unscathed.

'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby jebiga41 » 03 Apr 2018, 17:08

Famous last words Ian :lol:
Im happy to help out demonstrating use of Hi Lift etc or some scrutineering lay out some courses and do the CV challenge (not only is it educational and fun it also involves alcohol
F*** your Syncro Westie I've a horse outside !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
jebiga41
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Postby clift_d » 03 Apr 2018, 18:09

What a great thread.

As a family we tend to find the organised VW events like Busfest to be a bit 'taxing' (particularly from a financial point of view), and so we have always preferred the more relaxed social get togethers like Syncropendence. With regard to this, I'm guessing that Camperjam kinda works in this context because the charity rides provide a really good focus for activities that don't revolve around buying stuff. In any case, our kids are always happiest mucking around with friends in a field... as I suppose are the adults.

With regard to green-laning, while I'm mindful of not wanting to damage our van, I'm also painfully aware that the kids don't really have the patience for hours of bumping along in the van just for the sake of it, and so I wonder whether it is wishful thinking that one of these events might be perhaps less taxing in terms of driving, but where the route brings you to a different place every evening? Just a thought.

Hopefully we'll be at both Syncropendence and Camperjam this year, although I think probably not to AO.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby silverbullet » 03 Apr 2018, 19:09

jebiga41 wrote:Famous last words Ian :lol:
Im happy to help out demonstrating use of Hi Lift etc or some scrutineering lay out some courses and do the CV challenge (not only is it educational and fun it also involves alcohol
I'll only be precious until the stupidness kicks in ;)
The CV challenge should work well with the syncro Gin Club...

'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby JustSharon » 03 Apr 2018, 20:34

silverbullet wrote:
jebiga41 wrote:Famous last words Ian :lol:
I'll only be precious until the stupidness kicks in ;)
The CV challenge should work well with the syncro Gin Club...

So, Ian... You ARE gonna do a shake down before your jolly over the water!

1989 AFN TDI Syncro
JustSharon

Postby JustSharon » 03 Apr 2018, 20:57

Side note (I've got my thinking head on) - this thread has turned into a focus towards SP;

BUT organising other events and laning possibilities are on the agenda. As a point of interest and concern (imho) peoples need to be aware the local councils, red tape etc can close lanes, slap tro's on what was previously driveable etc.

First hand experience is here (home county), temporary tro's on most of the local lanes, then the lanes became tro'd indefinitely, bit the same as Somerset's stuff. Peoples cannot rely on maps showing driveable lanes unless they have checked with their local highways for up to date info on the legality of driving a lane. In my experience an email pinged off will give you a return email of grid refs and dates of when they are closed/open.

I wouldn't want any of us being pulled up and being hauled over the coals because we haven't observed local governmental politics.

1989 AFN TDI Syncro
JustSharon

Postby Jamesh » 03 Apr 2018, 21:11

Currently tidying up my doka a bit for the summer (going from farm whip to odd jobs/deliveries/bike carrier) and with that aim to make it to a couple of meets. Certainly Syncropendence being top of the list.
Would be stoked to meet others from the scene, being a recent entrant.
I also have a farm in the south east (chiltern hills) which would be happy to other as a base further down the line. My experience of green lane-ing is minimal in a syncro, have ridden moto bikes West berkshire/Ridgeway area but that was a few years back.
It would be useful if there was a resource to see where your local syncro owners are (obviously not directions to their garage :) ) but understand the best way is too get involved at the meets and have a chat!
Jamesh

80-90 Mem No: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro