Whatever happened to the Coney Farm meet?

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Whatever happened to the Coney Farm meet?

Postby Aidan » 02 Apr 2018, 08:32

JustSharon wrote:
silverbullet wrote:Re: trials course. I can make up some spiked sockets for the plastic conduit canes, to make them easier and quicker to set out on stony ground...if someone can confirm the size.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

I think it is 32mm, Pete liberated it... along with the golf balls ...

The lovely Aidan has the poles, maybe he could quickly check?

22mm polypipe, nominal 17mm i.d. :ok

some are a little deformed probably best with a taper to 15mm especially if they get mushroomed by driving them in, will need maintaining but easy enough on the bench grinder same with other impact tools
AIDAN
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby Jim San » 02 Apr 2018, 08:58

Benjdaben wrote:We can bring a load of sheep hurdles which can be easily joined up to make junctions etc. Might be easier than pallets.

Ben, that would be brilliant if you can but won't they take up lots of room on the load bed? Would probably work better than pallets, I also intend bring about a dozen wooden poles which I have rescued from those horrible cheap windbreakers. I'll stake those out with tape between also.

:ok
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby Wedgbury » 02 Apr 2018, 09:11

Pallets good for the big bonfire though. :D
Wedgbury

80-90 Mem No: 15292

Postby Jim San » 02 Apr 2018, 09:40

Wedgbury wrote:Pallets good for the big bonfire though. :D

Pallets have all sorts of chemical and crud on them, nasty to breath in. I'd not recommend using them unless you are lucky to be sat up wind at the fire :D + they smoke like crazy

IMO. Varnish, ply, MDF, OSB, chipboard, paint, tar, tanalised etc should be banned from a campfire - unless you love the smell of formaldehyde in the evening.

I have a few bags of mountain ash I'll chuck in and will try and gather a bit more - I dont have as much as I did last year.

Jim San

Postby Benjdaben » 02 Apr 2018, 10:05

I reckon the hurdles will sit in the back nicely and we can bring several bags of firewood.
Benjdaben

80-90 Mem No: 11255

Postby Jim San » 02 Apr 2018, 11:28

Benjdaben wrote:I reckon the hurdles will sit in the back nicely and we can bring several bags of firewood.

Cool, it's a date

Jim San

Postby Bucketbabe » 02 Apr 2018, 14:05

The weekend seems to be filling up nicely with loads of wonderful ideas. I imagine we may have to (try to!) be somewhat disciplined about time keeping, especially getting organised in the mornings for briefings etc.
I expect some of the suggested events/workshops may be able to run concurrently, if safety permits.
So, I wonder if there might be a window where we could help some partners or even older children to do some driving? From previous meets I have met a few that are reticent of driving the family syncro, that seems a shame. Especially if they are nervous but would really like to try. Of course, I do understand this demands an investment of time from people patiently sitting in with and instructing them.
Also.....the main driver needs to not mind their partner "having a bash"!
take the road less travelled
Bucketbabe

80-90 Mem No: 12616

Postby silverbullet » 02 Apr 2018, 14:34

I reckon there's more than enough ideas for activities to fill several events, we dont have to do it all at the "pendance" in one go.

At least there ideas coming through!

I"ll see what I can do for the trials canes.

'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby JustSharon » 02 Apr 2018, 17:35

Bucketbabe wrote:So, I wonder if there might be a window where we could help some partners or even older children to do some driving? From previous meets I have met a few that are reticent of driving the family syncro, that seems a shame. Especially if they are nervous but would really like to try. Of course, I do understand this demands an investment of time from people patiently sitting in with and instructing them.
Also.....the main driver needs to not mind their partner "having a bash"!

Sitting in with partners is no problem, I have done this on many occasions (as I know plenty of other skilled drivers have), even if it is for a brief 30 min jolly on some gentle slopes. There are plenty of areas at SP to give it a go.

There is one main issue - (Apart from being signed on as a driver) and this is to comply with insurance and regulations. Competency. All drivers must be competent drivers and the vehicles they are driving must be suitable for the terrain. This is where I perceive a problem. Older children - whilst we encourage our off-spring to partake in our jaunts they must be competent. Therefore, are able to drive a vehicle accordingly in addition to observing the terrain.

Can said parents/guardians of children (pre 18) honestly state that.
It's all the little moments in life that make it a big adventure.

1989 AFN TDI Syncro
JustSharon

80-90 Mem No: 3428

Postby HarryMann » 02 Apr 2018, 17:46

JustSharon wrote:
Jim San wrote:Another driving idea.
Blind drive. Co driver to talk the driver around a pre set course. Simple course is sufficient. Low low speed for obvious reason

Could be from inside cab or by hand held cb from outside.

Idea is to develop clear concise communication,

I've done it for charity, raising money for guide dogs. It is an incredibly weird sensation as a driver.

It's not as dangerous as it may sound

This was done with Torz and Matt, many moons ago (Coney?) Great fun, absolutely not taxing to the driver, non damaging but fun.
Also done in reverse ! :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby Jim San » 02 Apr 2018, 17:53

HarryMann wrote:
JustSharon wrote:
Jim San wrote:Another driving idea.
Blind drive. Co driver to talk the driver around a pre set course. Simple course is sufficient. Low low speed for obvious reason

Could be from inside cab or by hand held cb from outside.

Idea is to develop clear concise communication,

I've done it for charity, raising money for guide dogs. It is an incredibly weird sensation as a driver.

It's not as dangerous as it may sound

This was done with Torz and Matt, many moons ago (Coney?) Great fun, absolutely not taxing to the driver, non damaging but fun.
Also done in reverse ! :)

I was thinking the exact same thing - with some trial type gates to make it torturous :twisted:

Jim San

Postby toomanytoys » 02 Apr 2018, 18:14

On an aside to this new found enthusiasm about events and things to do.. :ok
A little reminder...

This years CamperJam charity syncro rides requires the drivers with vehicles to carry the passengers around our cracking little track in the woods..

We raised nearly £1800 last year.. carried around something like 600 odd people over 2 days...

Anyone serious about assisting with this should PM me..
Min requirements are:-
Passenger seats with seat belts.. pref as many as possible (if you have a single passenger seat its less efficient getting people through, but thats up to you..)
Driver must be very competent off road (its not a place to learn how off road) as you will be carrying passengers that have no off road experience, they need to feel safe and confident.
Its pretty tight in spots, so be prepared to accept that you might rub a tree or rock if you get it wrong.. (no sticky out parts on you van like side ladders etc)
No spoilers or low ground clearance items.. you are gonna bump and grind the underside here and there, so engine and prop bars are required...
Be prepared to be cleaning out crud from under your van for several weeks after the event if its wet..
Good tyres is a must and pref bigger than stock 185r14, as after a few laps ground clearance WILL become an issue..

Get in touch if you think you can help please..
I think we have enough marshals at present, but could do with a couple more drivers and vans..
Cheers
Si
toomanytoys
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 41

Postby HarryMann » 02 Apr 2018, 18:16

Aidan wrote:
JustSharon wrote:
silverbullet wrote:Re: trials course. I can make up some spiked sockets for the plastic conduit canes, to make them easier and quicker to set out on stony ground...if someone can confirm the size.

some are a little deformed probably best with a taper to 15mm especially if they get mushroomed by driving them in, will need maintaining but easy enough on the bench grinder same with other impact tools
I found them a bit on the compliant side wobbly). Should we start them on the blue pills in good time ?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby JustSharon » 02 Apr 2018, 19:49

HarryMann wrote:
Aidan wrote:
JustSharon wrote:

I found them a bit on the compliant side wobbly). Should we start them on the blue pills in good time ?

No just drive with due care and attention, slightly wonky always adds interest. FWIW, the German trial does incorporate a 2 euro fine for damaged poles and from memory to be paid on the spot fine...
It's all the little moments in life that make it a big adventure.

1989 AFN TDI Syncro
JustSharon

80-90 Mem No: 3428

Postby silverbullet » 02 Apr 2018, 21:14

toomanytoys wrote:On an aside to this new found enthusiasm about events and things to do.. :ok
A little reminder...

This years CamperJam charity syncro rides requires the drivers with vehicles to carry the passengers around our cracking little track in the woods..

We raised nearly £1800 last year.. carried around something like 600 odd people over 2 days...

Anyone serious about assisting with this should PM me..
Min requirements are:-
Passenger seats with seat belts.. pref as many as possible (if you have a single passenger seat its less efficient getting people through, but thats up to you..)
Driver must be very competent off road (its not a place to learn how off road) as you will be carrying passengers that have no off road experience, they need to feel safe and confident.
Its pretty tight in spots, so be prepared to accept that you might rub a tree or rock if you get it wrong.. (no sticky out parts on you van like side ladders etc)
No spoilers or low ground clearance items.. you are gonna bump and grind the underside here and there, so engine and prop bars are required...
Be prepared to be cleaning out crud from under your van for several weeks after the event if its wet..
Good tyres is a must and pref bigger than stock 185r14, as after a few laps ground clearance WILL become an issue..

Get in touch if you think you can help please..
I think we have enough marshals at present, but could do with a couple more drivers and vans..
Cheers
Si

Si, if my syncro was likely to be ready then I would happily step up as a driver with 4 passenger seats, but this year has slipped, not for want of trying.
I have M/Ts and I'll be on for 2019.
I think this matter needs its own topic really.

Last edited by silverbullet on 02 Apr 2018, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro