Syncro transaxle primary shaft repairs

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Syncro transaxle primary shaft repairs

Postby silverbullet » 14 Feb 2018, 20:21

Halfway though repairing some syncro transaxle primary shafts for Aidan Talbot. They had all broken up on the first bearing track after the input shaft spline. All have been reduced by precision grinding and a new sleeve fitted, now waiting to have the sleeve reduced back to standard size.Image

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Syncro transaxle primary shaft repairs

Postby Winchweight » 14 Feb 2018, 22:01

Dunno what that means, but they are shiny! And if Aidan likes it, it’s good by me...
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Postby Aidan » 15 Feb 2018, 07:00

At the moment we can't get new shafts from the usual source so the stash of damaged ones that I have built up over the years (I never throw anything away as those of you who have seen the workshop know) is being repaired to tide us over the hopefully temporary gap in availability

If anyone has a spare £50k to invest in a production run of 'V' mainshafts then do let me know as I don't know if anyone will ever remake those, I have been waiting on a certain favoured supplier to make them but they have had other priorities. Perhaps Airbus would like to diversify into something that doesn't loose £8billion :lol:

In the meantime I repeat the advise 'do not store used gearboxes on their bellhousing end unless they are to be stripped down' as this damage is most certainly due to dirty oil being filtered through the input bearing when the box is stored this way, any debris in the oil can become lodged in the bearing; if the box is subsequently reused as soon as you release the clutch the debris which may be rusted onto the bearing surface of the shaft is spun at engine revs and the damage is started, then like a pot hole every rotation hydraulics oil into the damaged surface which is only microns thick and it gets worse, until the point where you think 'that's a bit noisy'

The input bearing is a bit over a fiver from VW and I always replace them that way I know they are clean and can't damage the shaft and anyway the poor little bearing has a hard time always under load at engine revs so why wouldn't you fit a new one every time ?
AIDAN
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby jebiga41 » 18 Feb 2018, 18:23

:ok :ok :ok :ok
F*** your Syncro Westie I've a horse outside !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
jebiga41

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Return to Syncro