Brake Upgrade UK seller

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Brake Upgrade UK seller

Postby Aidan » 13 Dec 2017, 16:06

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGON-VW-T3-SYNCRO-4WD-BREMBO-CALIPER-ADAPTERS-TO-PORSCHE-996-BRAKES/151120793390?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

So they appear to have sold 11 of these and there's 34 people watching them, has anyone actually fitted them and would care to share, how much did the boxster brakes cost, look like £300 plus a a set in used condition so I guess refurbished around £500-600 and do you need new flexi hosese and anything else on top of a new set of discs and pads ?

So to me it looks like not a cheap undertaking and as to what wheels can actually fit over them ? Do they take a Mefro in 15" for example

What do you know ?
AIDAN
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Brake Upgrade UK seller

Postby Oilline » 13 Dec 2017, 23:13

That's Epytec gear isn't it ?
1986 Syncro EJ251, 2007 T5 4-Motion, Active Snowtrac, Golf Mk2 Syncro
Oilline

80-90 Mem No: 9818

Postby DSM » 14 Dec 2017, 11:30

Hi Aidan,
that's the Epytec kit. Mr Mule has this fitted and if my memory is accurate this is designed to fit 15" wheels but the Mefro fouls the caliper. I was going this way but the total cost was not worth it in the end as the correct calipers in reasonable condition are hard to come by and as you say refurbishment is around £120.00 per caliper + parts.
i fitted the ATE57 kit in the end under 16" Tolimans.
DSM

80-90 Mem No: 1274

Postby John Potter » 15 Dec 2017, 13:33

Spot on Aidan, the calipers are the rear ones from a Boxster S and will cost a lot (maybe 250 if lucky) + refurb. Bleed screws tend to snap as they are mild steel in alloy, ditto the pipes and connections :-( (ask me how I know :-( :-( ) and they are a bitch to get out - do not use an easy out. Ever...

Good brakes though, very progressive and good for a 165mph stop on a Boxster S
John Potter

80-90 Mem No: 6490

Postby Aidan » 20 Dec 2017, 13:15

Not sure if these are Epytec and if it is what this seller has to do with Epytec, I thought I'd ask them some questions by email

I wrote
Hi

Just a few questions regarding the adapters you have listed on ebay. You don’t appear to have a ask a question option on your listing but that just might be down to my browser and the way it shows ebay.

You state you can retain 15” Alloy wheels, but the VW Type 2 Syncro (no H) was originally fitted with 14” steel or alloy wheels; I take it that this kit won’t allow the standard 14” alloy wheel to be used ?

Most of the Syncro boys and girls go to the Steel MEFRO rim for 15” tyre choice in AT and MT as this is a strong and weight rated rim; does this kit allow the use of the 15” Mefro rim ?

Do you have a source for refurbished callipers and carriers and is there a completion kit list with the appropriate flexi hoses and anything else that is required to complete the installation, or better still a complete kit.

Are there instructions ?

What safety/compliance/testing information is there with the kit ? This may be required by the vehicle insurance company.

Regards

Aidan

and their response was

Hi, the minimum wheel size required is 15”, most 15” wheels would fit but would be dependant on the offset, we are not familiar with MEFRO wheel fitment offset. We don’t sell the brake calipers or discs, only adapters and brake lines.
To fit this kit will also require custom hubs which are not available at the moment but are in development. Thanks

So that's all good then :roll:
AIDAN
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby Titus A Duxass » 20 Dec 2017, 13:25

Aidan wrote:Not sure if these are Epytec and if it is what this seller has to do with Epytec, I thought I'd ask them some questions by email

I wrote
Hi

Just a few questions regarding the adapters you have listed on ebay. You don’t appear to have a ask a question option on your listing but that just might be down to my browser and the way it shows ebay.

You state you can retain 15” Alloy wheels, but the VW Type 2 Syncro (no H) was originally fitted with 14” steel or alloy wheels; I take it that this kit won’t allow the standard 14” alloy wheel to be used ?

Most of the Syncro boys and girls go to the Steel MEFRO rim for 15” tyre choice in AT and MT as this is a strong and weight rated rim; does this kit allow the use of the 15” Mefro rim ?

Do you have a source for refurbished callipers and carriers and is there a completion kit list with the appropriate flexi hoses and anything else that is required to complete the installation, or better still a complete kit.

Are there instructions ?

What safety/compliance/testing information is there with the kit ? This may be required by the vehicle insurance company.

Regards

Aidan

and their response was

Hi, the minimum wheel size required is 15”, most 15” wheels would fit but would be dependant on the offset, we are not familiar with MEFRO wheel fitment offset. We don’t sell the brake calipers or discs, only adapters and brake lines.
To fit this kit will also require custom hubs which are not available at the moment but are in development. Thanks

So that's all good then :roll:

So just like eyptec, untested parts on critical systems.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l ADY
VW T3 Großsraum Pritsche JX1,6TD
Titus A Duxass

80-90 Mem No: 4475

Postby Simon Baxter » 29 Dec 2017, 15:02

I've got epytec front and rear on my syncro.
Not the Porsche ones, the passat calipers at the front and the T4 at the rear.
That works very well indeed with a larger servo.
312mm front, 280mm rear.
I'm running 16" Mefro, had to use a 6mm spacer on the front wheels to clear the rim.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Return to Syncro