Page 1 of 2

Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 13:06
by jed the spread
Hey up..

So whats the latest word on the streets of the very best, tip top gear box oil to use? I did hear talk (probably via The Samba) of a new shift in gear oil.

What do you know?

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 14:44
by bene
I would be very interested in hearing the responses to this...
Its going to be liquid gold!

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 18:28
by jed the spread
Been chatting with Tom and he used Millers Oils CRX LS 75w-140 NT Competition Heavy Duty Transmission Oil. I am trying to gain from his nerdy ways :wink:

Jed

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 18:50
by jed the spread
Just bit the bullet and bought 4L. It is really expensive for oil but like Tom says, "gear boxes are expensive too".

Jed

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 19:57
by syncropatrick
jed the spread wrote: shift in gear oil.

Groan!

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 23:56
by jed the spread
syncropatrick wrote:
jed the spread wrote: shift in gear oil.

Groan!


:lol: Kind of fitting hey!

Just noticed this got shifted *Groan* to technical from Syncro.. Do we want people putting Syncro spec gear oil into 2wd vans gear boxes?

Personally I would slip this back in gear to were it started if admin is reading.

Jed

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 07:02
by ZsZ
jed the spread wrote:Been chatting with Tom and he used Millers Oils CRX LS 75w-140 NT Competition Heavy Duty Transmission Oil. I am trying to gain from his nerdy ways :wink:

Jed

Its GL4 so it will be good with synchronizers

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 07:19
by bene
jed the spread wrote:Just bit the bullet and bought 4L. It is really expensive for oil but like Tom says, "gear boxes are expensive too".

Jed


Just done a quick google and its about £19 a litre correct?

E D I T - found this on evilbay - 5 litres for £66.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils- ... Swo4pYhuFg

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 13:42
by silverbullet
ZsZ wrote:Its GL4 so it will be good with synchronizers

Well that's good news! I am not happy with the GL4/5 that I have tried before now.
GL4 definitely helps the synchronizers work properly i.e. the cones "bite" and actually stop the selected gear turning before engaging.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 11:12
by Syncrobaz
May use this in the Doka, any input from Aidan ?

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 11:55
by Aidan
Stock gearing I'm using Smith and Allan 75w/90 Fully Synthetic, UK Blended it meets the spec for our oil, available by phone and from ebay and elsewhere sub £30 / 5 litres change it regularly see the drainplug magnet be aware of what's going on in the box.....use it front and rear it's fine, 6 litres is just over £30, other brands are out there GL4, GL4+, Dual spec GL4/ GL5
Molyslip GM6RA every two oil changes seems to help with life of moly coated synchro rings which are now eye wateringly expensive and oem original pretty much all gone

If you are running TDi engine with the HD gearsets then the advice now is 75w/140 as the duty cycle on the HD gearsets is higher as fewer teeth so temps may be elevated; I don't recommend torquey TDi engines, I recommend petrol engines for gearbox longevity :lol:
If you tow a lot or drive off piste a lot / in hot climates a lot then the 75w/140 spec may also apply to you; you are into racing oil territory and you can spend a lot on top end oils, you still need to change them to see the magnet and state of the oil periodically

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 16:45
by irishkeet
Aidan wrote:Stock gearing I'm using Smith and Allan 75w/90 Fully Synthetic, UK Blended it meets the spec for our oil, available by phone and from ebay and elsewhere sub £30 / 5 litres change it regularly see the drainplug magnet be aware of what's going on in the box.....use it front and rear it's fine, 6 litres is just over £30, other brands are out there GL4, GL4+, Dual spec GL4/ GL5
Molyslip GM6RA every two oil changes seems to help with life of moly coated synchro rings which are now eye wateringly expensive and oem original pretty much all gone

If you are running TDi engine with the HD gearsets then the advice now is 75w/140 as the duty cycle on the HD gearsets is higher as fewer teeth so temps may be elevated; I don't recommend torquey TDi engines, I recommend petrol engines for gearbox longevity :lol:
If you tow a lot or drive off piste a lot / in hot climates a lot then the 75w/140 spec may also apply to you; you are into racing oil territory and you can spend a lot on top end oils, you still need to change them to see the magnet and state of the oil periodically


Aidan

Any thoughts on gear box oil when running a scooby engine please? Also how regularly (mileage) wise would you recommend

cheers
irishkeet

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 09:56
by Aidan
The HD gears in yours Keith showed no real issues running the 75W/90 with the previous engine
20k miles or 3 years minimum interval, annual if you like, £30 oil v. rebuild cost of one that's gone wrong ?
New to you vehicle do the fluids when you get it then you know they are right and can go forward on standard maintenance schedules

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 14:30
by irishkeet
Aidan wrote:The HD gears in yours Keith showed no real issues running the 75W/90 with the previous engine
20k miles or 3 years minimum interval, annual if you like, £30 oil v. rebuild cost of one that's gone wrong ?
New to you vehicle do the fluids when you get it then you know they are right and can go forward on standard maintenance schedules
:ok

Re: Whats the latest word on super dooper gear box oil

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 18:00
by crazydiamond
Aiden, how much will I need for front and back? I havnt any workshop info on the syncro!!